CDW

240 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at CDW

Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA lot of energy, fun, fast paced

ConsCompensation not up to par with industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed smarter, stronger managers. Also need to start to move from transnational to consultative.

High Stress, high reward

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsMoney, money, money. The earning potential is huge, the gifts and prizes are outstanding! If you are willing to work for it, you could make tons of money.

ConsMany of the coworkers are idiots. They basically hire everyone and pay the consequences for it. It is more of a frat house than anything, which is really tough at 8 AM on a Monday.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring! We are not interchangeable and while it seems like everyone knows that, we are treated as if we are. Give better Account Managers more accounts and cut the fat!

Good place to start a carreer

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work environment, perks from vendors are nice.

Consbase pay and commission structure is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation plan needs to improve significantly. I couldn't afford to live in Chicago my first year working there and many people have two jobs.

Good place to work

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI've seen CDW change a lot through the years. When I started at CDW, the company was always on the 100 Great Places to Work. As we grew and the economy got weaker, some of those perks went away and we were no longer on that list. However, I still believe CDW is a good place to work and there are plenty of perks that other companies do not offer.

ConsCDW sells 100,000 different products, and that's a lot to know. Staying on top of technology trends and always working to win the next project will eventually burn you out.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

This company does a great job of taking care of it's employees and putting them in the best position to succeed.

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, high standards, fortune 500 company, and room to grow professionally.

ConsAt this time I have no complaints. Overall my experience has been excellent.

Great place to work, resourcefulness is key here.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat folks but you really need to push to seperate yourself from the rest of the pack and advance. The harder you work the more, the greater your chance of success. Networking is everything.

ConsVery sales minded organization and transaction focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep consistent policies across all teams and roles. Build more training programs to help folks get support where they need it.

Stay out of the warehouse.

Pick/Pack (Current Employee)
Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has a huge parking lot.

ConsManagers and supervisors are only good at sleeping and ordering pizza. Promotions are based on who you know. CDW also caters to the minority. They continue to hire people that speak little or no English. Most of these people don't care how they are treated just throw them a bone once in awhile and they are happy. Also no breaks just a 45 minute lunch. The computers in the warehouse have grease and ketchup all over the chairs and keyboards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring from the outside! No more internal promotions!

Good to start out

CDW Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung, helpful environment. A lot of complainers and false information.

ConsEstablished corporate company, not much room for creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage creativity

It was a great job to gain the experience I needed out of collage

Government Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsThis job taught me sales strategies, how to manage a book of business, and how to become better at selling in a B2B environment. Taught me more about utilizing my resources and accessing the channel. benefits are great, and the incentives from the CDW partners are amazing.

ConsThe base pay is terrible. After one year your salary will grow but after one year commission is no longer guaranteed. The pay structure is not one you will appreciate. Getting support in a timely fashion can be really bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is something no one will appreciate. However if you get the right person that you report to work can be great.

Want experience in sales, start here

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsNice atmosphere, depending on the team you are placed on. Senior team members may be willing to give you some pointers on various ways to prospect, or spark up new conversations with current accounts. Vendors feed you at least every other day.

ConsIf you are not a great seller, then this is not the place for you. The small business division is undeniably the hardest.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.