CDW

Updated 10 November 2014
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

310 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great first time job to get your feet wet and learn how to talk to people over the phone in a sales-context.

Cons

It's easy to feel unimportant and like a tiny cog in a huge machine.

I felt like I would get the most challenging assignments because they knew I would work really hard, but that didn't always mean I got the most money. Would have liked to get a couple "easy" customers mixed into my territory.

Good first role

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch, especially for those with little experience. Laid back culture with a lot of freedom in your day. Managers are typically promoted from within so they have been in your shoes before and really care about you. Lots of perks: free lunches, sporting events, happy hours, etc. Company is trending in the right direction and continues to capture more and more market share.

Cons

While it is a good place to start and gain sales experience, the base salary is low enough where if you have a bad month in sales, you aren't making much money. The job itself is easy, though, and the established AMs can make a killing.

Just installed software to monitor calls, view computer screens, etc. Do not appreciate being watched by "Big Brother".

An honest evaluation of CDW

Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food frequently, chance at going to sporting and other events, work-life balance is attainable. A lot of good people work here and CDW is also a great resume builder.

Cons

Compensation does not match performance, and is constantly changing. I have been here 4 years and it has changed 3 times. Favoritism by management toward those more senior. Boss in many regards controls your opportunity and earning potential by awarding accounts at their discretion. Company makes many thousands off of their sales force and pay them next to nothing.

More technical training to sales on the advanced solutions we sell to make us more creditable to customers. A better pay structure for sales, no one can live on a 25K base if they have an underperforming year in sales.

Great culture but lacks in total rewards

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone works well together and collaborates. CDW generally encourages new ideas and empowers employees to make decisions.

Cons

Compensation is well below industry standards for roles outside of Sales. CDW discourages their partners from hiring their employees which pigeonholes coworkers who want to leave CDW but remain in the IT industry, especially when the salaries at CDW are so low.

Seriously consider making changes to the compensation structure. The current structure does not allow the hiring of talent due to salary ranges or retaining truly talented coworkers.

Great place to build a foundation for a career in the technology industry.

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Positive work environment, very friendly people
    -Excellent training program
    -Great variety of functions in which you can work and explore your interests

Cons

-The benefits are great but salary growth is a challenge in functions outside of sales.

Keep up the great work, some differentiation will be necessary with the increased commoditization of the products CDW sells over time. Growth in the services practice will be key, but more competitive advantages will need to be developed to succeed in the long term.

Vendor Specialist

Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture, lot's of perks, good training/development

Cons

Below industry pay pretty much across the board, which is why they have problems retaining talent.

You can't keep losing all you top salesmen, managers, and specialists without it eventually effecting your bottom line. Pay people what they deserve.

Excellent Interview and Training Process!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only recently started at CDW but even two weeks in I can tell the culture here is like no other. From day one, all of our trainers and guest speakers have been very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Everyone I speak to in the company I ask them how long they have been here and what do they love. Unanimously I am told they love the atmosphere. They encourage participation, continuous training and everyone says there a huge salary potential.

Cons

Like many jobs, it's not going to come easy. They do expect us to put in the time to become knowledgeable about technology and still manage to communicate what we know to customers.

My experience at CPE was excellent. They take care of their employees.

Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot there if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There were really no cons to working there.

Great, forward thinking company that is the best at what they do

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is unlimited earning potential (all based on how hard you are willing to work and how well you work with others), flexible management, ability to work from home, varied internal and external career paths (including partner companies)

Cons

large corporations have many layers of bureaucracy, some sales / leaders teams have a narrow and selfish view causing conflicts, turnover for new hires is high (many don't give it a chance long enough or put in the work the build the book of business)

I enjoyed my time at CDW

Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was in a non-sales position. The benefits are great, time off is generous once you hit 3 years. In my department office culture was great as was work-life balance (2 work from home days per week).

Cons

no more than 10% increase in pay no matter what type of promotion or position you were going to.