CEB

Updated 27 February 2015
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

A collection of the smartest, most driven people I've ever worked with.

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am continually amazed by the intellectual caliber of the colleagues I work with every day. Being surrounded by smart, driven, passionate people makes you feel capable of great things - in your current role or in any other role you wish to pursue at CEB (internal moves are encouraged and supported). I have had so many wonderful mentors - formal and informal - who have contributed to my career success, and I plan to keep on collecting them. CEB is a relatively young company (30 years old), whose culture is still being defined. It is aware of it's history and foundations, but far from being set in stone. Reacting and adapting to change is necessary - and exciting! It's truly a growing company in every sense of the word.

Cons

If you can't handle change, this isn't the place for you. As a company that studies the realities of the new work environment, we are also prime examples of it. Growing global presence, acquisitions and integration, finding new gears of productivity, collaboration that is key to survival - it's all part of everyday life at CEB. It means you can't get comfortable or take anything for granted, but it also means that new opportunities are opening up all the time and that you can control your own destiny to a large degree.

We should continue to push ourselves to be leading edge when it comes to developing, motivating, and retaining talent. Just because we write about how the best do it, doesn't mean we're doing the best job of it that we can. We should strive not to just meet the bar set by the best, but to exceed it.

Worst Company EVER!

I worked at CEB

Pros

Free food, lots of events (isn)

Cons

Middle management is embarrassing: All ex-graduate of the CEB graduate program, who have no experience selling in the real world. They have no desire to experience anything else than CEB and therefore have no interest in managing and or understanding external experienced hires.

If you are a graduate and enjoy nights out and being treated as a PA than this is the role for you.
    Experience sales hires - do not go NEAR this place!!!

This is not a management consultancy it is a SALES organisation selling RESEARCH!

Get rid of your middle management team and put some real managers in their place.

It's a sales company regardless of what they call it (definitely not consulting)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- some exposure to senior execs but very few chances for developing deep relationships.
    - colleagues in general are nice but no one will spend 5 minutes to help someone in need
    - the location is great but who cares when you your life is miserable

Cons

- sell, sell, sell. No matter what, just sell
    - attrition is HUGE so be ready to say goodbye to colleagues on a weekly basis
    - if you work in sales and you're doing well, life can be good but if they don't like you, you'll be dismissed faster than the time that will take you to read this review
    - if you work in advisory you won't be doing any consulting at all. Your job will be to regurgitate research that in many instances is recycled and repackaged to sound like something new and relevant
    - calling the clients, "members" is just ridiculous, CEB is not an exclusive club, it sells subscriptions to any company willing to pay the "membership"
    - did I already mention that CEB is as far as a company can be from management consulting?
    - if you're a current employee and you're reading this review, shouldn't you be on the phone reading a script and closing some deals?

you're obviously amazing and you're doing all the right things so no point in providing any advice but perhaps you could stop the incredibly annoying reply to all emails every time someone sells £1000...

Leaves a lot to be desired

Current Employee - Global Service Centre in Thames Ditton, England
    Current Employee - Global Service Centre in Thames Ditton, England

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with in a constantly changing environment
    - New faces every other week
    - Good robust products
    - good legacy research team

Cons

- Salaries are slow to rise
    - minimal benefits
    - long hours with few career opportunities
    - exceptionally politically attuned environment
    - personnel development only geared towards certain preferred individuals
    - in a very expensive part of Surrey (very exclusive) not a lot of transport (public) direct links

- COMMUNICATION is key , if you want to get the best out of the team you have there has to be open and honest communication , we cant support our team and others if we don't have all of the information, facts and we don't know what their objectives are.

OK short term graduate opportunity but don't be fooled,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Central office location
    - Decent access to stationary

Cons

- Success will largely depend on your manager and the resources available to you. Established and favoured individuals will receive priority when it comes to the distribution of these resources, exacerbating the gap between top and middle performers and callously eliminating the lower % of the labour force.

- Middle Management are an glaring example of the Peter Principle. Fully capable of performing within a revenue generating role but most are inept at managing and motivating those who work under them. This creates a poor and ineffective middle management layer.

- Their business development model appears to be based on a production line model leading to BD roles being extremely one-dimensional. Lower level business development consist of regurgitating short pitches all day long with higher level BD roles simply being an extended versions of it. This is all fuelled by a lack of bespoke solutions that comes with packaged consultancy services. You will effectively be working in a call center.

- Wages at CEB experience logarithmic growth. Quick to rise at the start but slow down quickly after the first couple of promotions. Further to this, following on from the first comment, wages are largely determined by your manager as well as the amount of resources you are fed.

- Some of the titles they dish out are embarrassing. There are 'Associate Directors' with nappies on. I understand that they want to give employees credibility but they take it too far.

- CEB suffers from company-wide groupthink. Employees who do not adhere to CEB's suffocating culture will be identified, isolated and flushed out like as if they were an enemy of Big Brother. Questioning CEB's research or culture is arguably the most dangerous move you can make and do not think to confide in other comrades.

- I am shocked that as a research based firm (that advices HR leaders) they ignore all of their own HR research. They rear candidates in like cattle and fire them after 3-4 months if there isn't instant success.Rather than being a coincidence, it is a purposeful strategy that I can only imagine they have worked out is the most cost-effective method of obtaining high performers.

Any advice to management would assume I believe their structure and procedures were down to chance rather than being a calculated strategy.

Bureaucratic and US centric workplace

I have been working at CEB

Pros

The UK office itself is a fun place to work, and the clients that you get to work with are interesting. You also learn a lot from the insights that are produced. Some managers are very flexible. Company doing very well.

Cons

The head office is in the US, and everything is dominated by this. There is no thought for other cultures or ways of working. Everything is heavily processed and there is far too much bureaucracy - it takes so long to get anything done. No room for creativity. Communications are long and onerous, even when trying to convey a simple message. Feels like being in school still.

Try to thinking 'outside of the US'

No Work life balance.

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The department I work in allows you to work from home occasionally.

Cons

Very poor management, employees are overstretched, and the work life balance is abysmal. Expect to be working 12 hour days.
    Very American based company too, so this clashes with the UK work ethic at times.

Young, Multicultural, Dynamic Environment

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team. You have the advantage of working with some of the smartest people out in the market place right now.
    Good social scene.
    Salary is ok based on current market trends.
    Opportunity to work with C-suite execs from some of the largest global companies.

Cons

Do not expect work-life balance, this is an all absorbing place of work. The company operates a very lean approach so be prepared for a heavy work load.
    Very American company: the performance reviews can be violent if there is so much as a hint in under performance.

The approach is very rigid, siloed and "one size fits all". Understand that european markets are different from the US and therefore the go to market approach needs to be differentiated due to more limited scaleability.

You will essentially be working at a call centre as a BDX

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England

I worked at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The office is in a great location. Very little overtime expected.

Cons

The London office is basically just one big sales floor, except you don't have very much idea about what you're selling at all. Apparently things are very different in overseas offices. Pay is terrible and rises slowly. Almost all of the sales staff you meet are vastly overqualified for their roles. Some regional teams are cleeky and HR aren't particularly nice people to deal with either

Great training and stimulating environment.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment lots of knowledge transferring and professional development opportunities.

Cons

Salaries could be better than they currently are.