CEB

CEB Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 37 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

‘Ok’ for graduates wanting brief (1 Year) business experience

Account Management Representative (Current Employee) London, England

Pros-Competitive Comp Package (only once you’re at level 3: Account Management Representative)
    -Gain good Business Acumen knowledge/ training on your way up to Level 3
    - Good commercial / account management experience for those just out of university
    -Central Location in London
    -Good/Work life balance. Sociable company after working hours.
    -able to network with many heads of function which is a big positive
    - Incentive trips are very good IF you’re a high performer
    - Good bridging job for the career you want to do next- you can develop some good skills IF you’re proactive

Cons- Micro-management & performance management culture: Does not allow for individuality & creativeness. As an SSPD employee, you are treated very much like a school child
    -Very much a culture of ‘do what I say, not what I do’
    -RSM’s/ Junior Managers ARENT skilled/ experienced managers- they’re generally unsuccessful SSPD candidates. They work to the number & aren’t generally good at motivation nor individual development (they lack cross-industry/ company experience)
    -Cold Calling: they do (at times) track the number of calls you make
    - Intellectually curiosity isn’t valued nowhere near as such as it should- this is one of the main reasons for my departure
    - Slow/ Stagnant progression: the expected route of progression to SE or AM is through the middle market function which is limiting (and incentives are capped to below market value)
    -Effectively you’re a glorified PA to an AM/SE, you’re seen as a bit of a 2nd class citizen
    -Your incentives are generally dependent on your AM/SE is doing well- if you’re partnered with an underperforming AM/SE, you won’t get paid much. Luck of the draw.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow what CEB’s research preaches, allow more autonomy and power to your staff and the rest will follow.

Great company, great people but ruined by the middle managers!

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

Prosnice colleagues, company drinks, incentive trips, pay is fair, motivational MDs, exposure to C-level, decent time off policy, work life balance

ConsIncompetent middle managers who knit pick and demotivate staff by acting like school teachers, very American, meaning having time off at Christmas becomes tricky.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle manager problem: Most of us are too talented to be managed by them!

Great company to work for with lots of oportunities for a varied career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe people - CEB staff are a great bunch of people, very friendly and always happy to help one another achieve both personal and combined goals.
    Opportunities - There are many different opportunities within CEB and the company encourages people to find the right role for them.
    Clients - You will get the opportunity to work with some of the world’s leading companies and will come face to face with the executives that run those companies.
    Work-Life balance - CEB is a place that respects individuals to take responsibility for their own work and will not expect people to work unreasonable hours as the norm.

ConsUS Centric - CEB is a US company and sometimes some of the process and situations reflect this in a negative way.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEB seems to have become an increasingly professional place to work, management need to try and make sure this is not to the detriment of the spirit that makes CEB a great place to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start ..

Account Manager Associate (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat place to start after university with an excellent work life balance. People are great and gives an excellent introduction to corporate working life where i learnt a lot of fundamentals and great benefits and social life.

ConsAnnoying culture, people seem scared to face feedback and problems head on. Some roles there are a lack of training and the company is focused on being too lean at the expense of helping functions and teams to grow.

Great business model, great colleagues

Associate Director (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSmart people, fantastic opportunity to interact daily with C level and learn from them
    good opportunity to grow and develop your skills

Conscommissions payment is dreadful - no transparency , very difficult to anticipate how much you will really earn, I waited more than 6 months after I left the company before I receive my last pay check .
    One last advice, don't leave before the end of the quarter or your commissions will be lost

Advice to Senior Managementreview commission scheme

Take an alternate offer from an established PS/Consulting firm if you can.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsCash bonuses can be good and also, if you're young and haven't traveled much, the allure of jumping on a plane regularly may appeal (but don't expect anything other than Economy class even for long haul trips!).

ConsThe divide between sales roles and content/delivery/advisory roles is out of control (with sales winning out). In fact, the vastly inflated job titles relatively junior folk in sales can get is crazy - many are really quite inexperienced other than a few years with CEB selling, yet land Director or Senior Director titles. Compare that to the established professional services firms....most of these CEB people would be lucky to make Manager grade there let alone Senior Manager or above. CEB hangs on to many young people because these employees don't know anything else. Those joining with prior experience in an established PS or Consulting house soon realise CEB is just not a great employer vs how they were treated before re mix of work, new opportunities, training etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the grading & job title approach!

Bizzare place if you have worked elsewhere before working at CEB

BDX (Former Employee) London, England

ProsPotentially good opportunities for new graduates with no prior experience. People are generally nice and will hear out concerns that you may have in a friendly and helpful manner.

ConsThe responsibility of most staff is very limited, despite prior experience. They are stuck on this needing five years experience to actively sell, despite experience of working on bigger deals - education is not valued at all. A lot is promised during the interview process but very little materialises. High staff turnover and the compensation is not great - as a sales exec you need to be hitting 70% of target before you are paid ANY commission. Not much of a learning curve if you have sales experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent in the interview process, and make more of an effort to assess suitability of your candidates for certain roles. It does not help you to deceive experienced candidates into taking roles, as they will realise that they are overqualified for them and leave.

Dynamic, fast-paced and energetic work environment, working with some of the best companies

Account Management Associate (Current Employee) London, England

ProsI have been working at CEB for two months.

Working with high calibre clients e.g. FTSE 250, Fortune 500 companies gives you valued commercial exposure. It also allows you to build a solid foundation in how to best service clients and communicate with people of all different levels of seniority.
    Supportive work environment, you are never without support and guidance
    Two week on-boarding process was great in demystifying CEB's business model and what your role entails. The on-boarding includes of opportunities to shadow, meet new people and practice key things necessary for the job before launching straight into your role. You also have your own dedicated mentor. There is ample opportunity for mobility within the organisation, you are also given a career development plan to help you toward reaching where you ultimately want to be.
    The people make the job fun, it is a dynamic and energetic workplace, there are plenty social events and constant competitions with the opportunity to win great treats. In my first two week, I had dined at the Savoy.
    I love the fact it is 'unstuffy' and there has a practiced open door policy, which allows you to be at ease. There is a good work/life balance.

ConsInitially, during the application stage, it is hard to gather what CEB does and how they execute their objectives. However this is quickly overcome by a comprehensive presentation given on the assessment day, along with the on-boarding process.

It can be slightly overwhelming in the first two weeks, as there's a lot of new information that needs to be absorbed. However, once you're actually in your role things become more practical.

Great place to learn and develop your career

Account Management Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood career potential with a proper structure for career development. It is a great place if you are looking to develop your commercial skills.

ConsThere is a lot of information to absorb in the beginning but slowly all comes into a place

Smart people and great company values

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)

Pros- Highly intelligent staff
    - Great company values
    - Positive and supportive work environment
    - Good Incentives
    - Nice office culture
    - High quality equipment and resources

- Everyday you learn something new

Cons- Work-life balance hasn't been too good for me thus far. However i am relatively new and tasks are taking me significantly longer than other staff as i am still grasping some aspects of the role.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!