CIT

CIT Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain

John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses (in 7 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work, Worst place to earn money

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Campinas, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsHere I can learn a lot of technologies
    The colleagues are friendly
    The leaders are always with the teams

ConsSometimes the salary policy is confusing
    The profit sharing is a joke
    On the last year, the company lost a lot of good professionals by a lack of clarity in strategic decisions (salary, career planning, technologies, projects and investments in education)
    There is a disparity between what is said and what is done. Leaders ask for certifications, courses, availability and other languages​​, but don´t give opportunity to exercise these skills. The good opportunities are for those who are nearby the leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to valorize those that really done something for the company and the projects, not to those just want enjoy the opportunity to improve the salary.

Interesting time at CIT Group

ProsGreat employees who work hard

ConsBelief that current employees don't have the skills needed

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to get the job done

Great team environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture
    Ability to work for and with highly skilled individuals
    Merit driven appreciation, not political
    Employees treated with respect, equitable
    High growth potential
    Overall great place to work and grow professionally

ConsOperations could be more efficient, updated
    Funding resources

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp streamline process and execution. You have outstanding employees. If you can give them the tools to drive faster execution, sky's the limit for CIT.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CIT is a great place to work for if you want quiet office life.

Business Analysis (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsQuiet, relaxed environment, decent pay, friendly employees

ConsRarely see young employees and the office is too dull

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young talents

Was a great company before bankruptcy in 2009. Now the focus is on shareholder approval and cutting expenses.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

ProsThe people that work there are genuinely good people. The location is convientent for those that drive

ConsThe senior management is lousy, It appears the company is trimming cost to sell the company. Leasing is not the most exciting industry to work in.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on adding revenue and not cutting expenses

CIT Rail rewards results, takes risks promoting internal candidates to new opportunities.

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsWith an established practice of hiring internally to fill top positions and filling lower positions externally, CIT Rail is an excellent place to grow and have a career.

CIT Rail is very difficult to get into, the compay hires only the very best and brightest people it can find so you're always working with people you can respect and that respect you. Fit (group dynamic) is just as important as formal qualifications in the interview process so it's actually a fun environment to work in.

CIT Rail managment respects work life balance, I work very reasonable hours and as long as my work gets done very well, my manager allows me a lot of freedom with my time.

ConsThe onboarding process at CIT can be a bit slow, but it's definitely worth the wait.

When everyone on your team is smart, hard working, and looking to impress it can be difficult to stand out. Managment is cognisant of the fact that its working with the cream of the crop, expectations are very high but accomplishments are definitely rewarded.

CIT has become a bank holding company. For those of us who were here before, the environment feels more tightly controlled, less free, more guarded. I've heard from others who worked at other banks before or who have since moved to other banks, CIT Rail feels more laid back and relaxed than other banks though it is adequately controlled.

Low Morale in IT Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

Prosmany people stay at CIT for a long time

ConsIT Department has had multiple layoffs in recent years leading to low morale and fears of total outsourcing of IT. Culture is focused on compliance and not technology. limited room for internal growth. majority of high-level positions have gone to new hires and not internal candidates. Business has low regard for IT department and thinks of them as an expense only.

CIT post Bankruptcy

Director (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

ProsNew C level team has smarts, and getting out from under a C & D is big step

ConsMiddle manage is same fools that allowed firm to fail, allworried that Thain will get rid of them he seems to have given them a chance to get on board, but most are just worthless self important over paid spinners

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the nest of Snaks you have as P&L leaders and back up the CCO

stagnant. Oppresive working atmosphere.

Originations (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

Prosdecent med and dental benefits. Nice coworkers. Good central location in Jax Fl. Decent shift work. Close to shops and restaurants.

ConsLow morale. Little or no advancement opportunities. Absentee mgmt. Bonuses unfairly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corp in NJ I say start fresh with Jax mgmt from top to bottom. Train your mgrs. Stop tge nepotism in hiribg and promotion process. Fire HR Mgrs. Curent staff does not want to get involved in employee complaints. They rat you out! You get black-balled.

Grab a life jacket as the CIT ship has BIG holes and the ride will be rough!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ (US)

Pros1) Immediate colleagues, though numbers have been dwindling due to numerous RIFs
    2) Decent benefits and telecommuting option
    3) Okay RIF package from what I have heard

Cons1) Since emerging from bankruptcy, CIT has been trying to act like a bank with limited success.
    2) Too many MDs/Directors and not enough people who do substantive work.
    3) Compliance has been heavily staffed up, but business lines have experienced numerous RIFs.
    4) Cumbersome and idiosyncratic credit process that is slow to react to market changes.
    5) Extremely low employee morale due to continuous RIFs, reorganizations, merger rumors, portfolio sell-offs, etc.
    6) Very limited career advancement opportunity based on who you know rather than what you know.
    7) Antique IT systems.

Advice to Senior Management1) Concise and substantive credit proposals should be the norm rather than lengthy check-the-box dissertations.
    2) While it may be easy for credit to say no, that is not conducive to generating income when we are already so light on assets.
    3) Propose rational credit enhancements/structural changes rather than idealistic wish lists that are out-of-sync with the market.

Worked for CIT? Contribute to the Community!