CSG Systems International

Be The First To
Add Photos

CSG Systems International President, CEO, and Director Peter E. Kalan

Peter E. Kalan

Satisfied but definitely room for improvement

Information Technology (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSG Systems International

ProsThe work environment is pretty friendly
Very casual dress code is a bonus
Benefits are above average from what I know about.

ConsInformation passed down from upper management is much too vague and generic.
A lot of situations where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is up to.
Quick to bring the hammer down on what is viewed from upper management as a problem but extremely slow to reverse when the situation shows it's justified.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to find a way to truly communicate better with the average employee. They do a good job at regular generic updates but those just don't seem to be effective.

Feel lucky to be employed

Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at CSG Systems International

ProsDecent pay, challenging work, good benefits & vacation.

ConsThe reviewer that commented "no rhyme or reason to layoffs" certainly hit the mark. They seem to have gone on unannounced without pattern or end for years. Unlike other layoffs I've experienced no explanation was given for the vast majority of them and no "end" ever announced.

The comments about the acquisitions are things I've heard & felt more than once as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to add to what's already been said.

A mediocre experience which has gotten worse significantly in 2012.

I have been working at CSG Systems International

ProsGreat benefit package, generous vacation allowances

ConsAn oligarchy of service bureau oriented business model types who don't get the way business is run in the technology industry today.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither learn how to manage multiple recent acquisitions or divest yourselves of them

good. valuable

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at CSG Systems International

ProsGood professional environment. Nice employees.

ConsOmaha is a small city in MD.

Disappointing

I worked at CSG Systems International

ProsPay - Co-workers - Benefits - location - work environment - challenging work

ConsMiddle to Upper Management can be terrible in many of the departments - favoritism (many based on who you know and how much money you have- definately not based on the knowledge and experience you bring to the table - promotions being offered to those that have no experience or knowledge at all)- unfair and unethical at times - layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a consulting team come and in meet with your middle managers, upper management, and your associates. Listen to what the consultants offer as feedback and take steps to resolve the issues that you will be made aware of.

Little information-sharing between team members and other departments. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to layoffs

I worked at CSG Systems International

ProsCertain locations seem to be more protected from constant layoffs. Acceptable benefits, 401k, pay.

ConsGood old boy network. People live in fear of losing their jobs, making staying of task difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you acquire a company, do not try to completely alter the direction of it. That has not been successful.

Not the right place for anyone who is a professional with integrity

Software Tester (Former Employee)

I worked at CSG Systems International

ProsFree popcorn. Given early out on the eve of holidays. Not a horrendous amount of overtime. Interesting and challenging work. Some very nice smart coworkers.

ConsPeople there are frightened of making a mistake, frightened of offending "the ear", and afraid to trust each other. Example: small group of developers discussed a laborious paper process that could be replaced by file compare, sounded like they have wanted this for a long time. I'm not a developer but I thought I'd bounce the idea off a developer from another team. Other developer quickly looked around to be sure we were alone, dropped voice to a whisper and said "You HAVE to be careful what you say! There are people who have been here a long time and don't want things to change." The good news is I see they are advertising for an internal auditor so maybe the cloak and dagger era of process improvement will end soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the technical staff to make changes, they know what isn't working and how to fix it. Support the technical staff instead of treating them like they cannot be trusted. Figure out which people are refusing to allow change and figure out what is causing the fear in the technical staff. Maybe an anonymous hotline for whistle-blowers would help. Train the managers on how to be managers.

Great place to work but don't count on a long tenure

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at CSG Systems International

ProsRelaxed Atmosphere, Challanging Work, Great People To Work With. New buidings in 2012.

ConsThe more tenure you have, the less job security
Morale low due to long work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people and watch how well they perform. You have some talented people working at CSG that are overworked and under appreciated.

Great Company to work for until recent years

I worked at CSG Systems International

ProsThe CSG culture has historically been one that promoted entrepreneurially behavior in its employees. It was an environment where employees could ask questions, challenge new inititatives and feel as though their voice was heard. The company's growth through acquisition strategy has provided great opportunities for the midwestern organization to learn about integration of corporate cultures.

ConsCSG has attempted to broaden its product/service lines to decrease the pressure of having the majority of its revenue tied to a handful of clients. Unfortunately, the in-house 'blame game' is alive and well at CSG, from sales, to development, to product management. Executive management is busy 'counting beans' rather than leading and holding those responsible, accountable.
Within the past 5 years there has been a significant shift in the culture that is a double standard. Management asks/requires employees to share their ideas and expand their skills (stretch goals) but do not provide the necessary support to help them achieve the goals and then wonders why employees are disenchanted and not motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time to personally understanding what mid-level managers and employees think of the most recent initiatives.

Very professional organisation

I have been working at CSG Systems International

ProsProfessional, supportive, friendly. Senior mgmt emphasis on strategy and how to continue the success of the company

ConsCan be slow to react

Worked for CSG Systems International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CSG Systems International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CSG Systems International CEO Peter E. Kalan. All 46 reviews are posted anonymously by CSG Systems International employees.