CVS Health Reviews

3,185 Reviews

CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,171 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 61 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 162 reviews)

More Highlights

Can't Keep Experienced Hires

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of decent people work there, local management are trying to create communities that cut across team silos (i.e. automated testing, mobile development, etc). Plenty of evenings out, if only to say goodbye to everyone leaving the company. Can have 1-2 trips to the US each year.

Cons

Poor local management (but gradually improving), with very leadership being displayed. Teams are either crazy busy with impossible deadlines or have absolutely nothing to do. Experienced people are leaving quickly (often within 6-12 months), forcing people with inadequate experience to try and act up. Not a happy place to work.

Get a grip.

Serious lack or meaningful work and bad management.

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. Keen on new technologies. Incredibly relaxed. City center location. Friendly employees.

Cons

Terrible initiation process especially for graduates. Projects come and go which are either legacy or short lived. The hardware provided is barely fit for duty. Management do not listen to anyone outside the management team. Falsely advertised jobs etc java developers brought in for JavaScript. Very little work to do, developers idle for months. Lack of expected processes such as code reviewing or CI. Developing an extremely negative reputation in the area due to the low retention rate. More emphasis on being seen and heard than performing the duties of your role to an acceptable level.

Listen to the employees.

Monotonous and frustrating

Current Employee - Software Development in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Development in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location in the center of the city, excellent work/life balance, very relaxed environment.

Cons

There is a lack of meaningful work. Any work that there is is monotonous and not at all challenging. It would be an excellent place for an associate looking a slow paced introduction to the industry under no pressure. However more senior members would be wasted. With no meaningful work to prove yourself technically, more emphasis is put on being seen.

Fast paced job, with lots of tasks to accomplish

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, very flexible with scheduling, good training program.

Cons

Lots of paper work that get in your way of being able to spend quality time on the sales floor. You work with very small teams for your shift, usually just you and a cashier.

Working for CVS pharmacy.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CVS is really great for the community. They always have the best interest of people in mind. They always attempt to raise funds for many great charities like ALS

Cons

CVS recently discontinued selling tobacco products which actually is one of their pros, but they continue to sell alcohol products claiming that there are health benefits. To a certain point I agree that there are some benefits to drinking red wine for example, but I think there more harmful effects of alcoholic beverages than good. There employee expectations are way too high. They expect one person to do the same amount of work as two or three people in other places where I have worked. Employees are In such a hurry to get things done that quality work has gone down the drain. Customer service is also hurt by the lack of help.

Increase the available hours for employee hours in the store. This will increase production and more employees on the sales floor will improve customer service. Happy customers will increase sales.

I have learned a lot of useful skills but it is very fustrating and under staffed.

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discount

Cons

Stressful and never really trained properly

We are not all capable of doing it all. No more pcq calls and better communication among employees.

As a high school/college job, it was great for me.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working as a shift supervisor was a decent job to get me through college. The hours were flexible to work around my schedule. If you have a decent manager, the training is great and you won't be thrown into something you aren't ready for.

Cons

Sometimes you may have more to do then possible because the hours are often few and far between so sometimes the crew is shorthanded. The pay is usually minimum wage, and the promotions and raises are once yearly. I can't imagine working there for life, but it was a good first job!

The store needs to have enough hours to run it! You can't imagine that we can get the amount of stuff done with the amount of time given.

Great Opportunities and Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mail order is basically an office job. There's a cafe on site, which is very budget-friendly. Lots of departments have a casual dress code, since there aren't any in-person customers. There's benefits like 401k, quarterly bonuses (based on performance), and tuition assistance which helped me pay for school, plus my supervisor accomodated my school schedule. And there's lots of overtime opportunities, pretty much every week, to make some extra money. There's a lot of diverse people working at the mail order which is cool. Also, there's a lot of career growth potential; lots of lateral and promotional options if you want to move up or don't like what you are doing. Very stable company.

Cons

Pay might not be as competitive as it should be for the market.

Evaluate competitive pay rates. Invest in your people finacially, and they will feel valued and are less likely to get lured away by another pharmacy.

It's ok.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I'm not sure anymore

Cons

If your management they will move you wherever they want with little notice to you.

Nothing.

Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits- Health priority-good work enviornment

Cons

shift hours, the climate in the building is often cold. smokers are frowned upon.