CVS Health Reviews

4,190 Reviews
CVS Health President and CEO Larry J. Merlo
Larry J. Merlo
1,522 Ratings

Pros
  • Flexible work arrangements make for a manageable work / life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good pay and flexible hours in the beginning until corporate has their say (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • It's difficult to maintain a good work/life balance, especially around the holidays (in 67 reviews)

• Upper management never once gave any indication that they cared about their employees (in 172 reviews)

1. Can't Keep Experienced Hires

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of decent people work there, local management are trying to create communities that cut across team silos (i.e. automated testing, mobile development, etc). Plenty of evenings out, if only to say goodbye to everyone leaving the company. Can have 1-2 trips to the US each year.

Cons

Poor local management (but gradually improving), with very leadership being displayed. Teams are either crazy busy with impossible deadlines or have absolutely nothing to do. Experienced people are leaving quickly (often within 6-12 months), forcing people with inadequate experience to try and act up. Not a happy place to work.

Advice to Management

Get a grip.

Serious lack or meaningful work and bad management.

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Keen on new technologies. Incredibly relaxed. City center location. Friendly employees.

Cons

Terrible initiation process especially for graduates. Projects come and go which are either legacy or short lived. The hardware provided is barely fit for duty. Management do not listen to anyone outside the management team. Falsely advertised jobs etc java developers brought in for JavaScript. Very little work to do, developers idle for months. Lack of expected processes such as code reviewing or CI. Developing an extremely negative reputation in the area due to the low retention rate. More emphasis on being seen and heard than performing the duties of your role to an acceptable level.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees.

Monotonous and frustrating

Current Employee - Software Development in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Software Development in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location in the center of the city, excellent work/life balance, very relaxed environment.

Cons

There is a lack of meaningful work. Any work that there is is monotonous and not at all challenging. It would be an excellent place for an associate looking a slow paced introduction to the industry under no pressure. However more senior members would be wasted. With no meaningful work to prove yourself technically, more emphasis is put on being seen.

15 year manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

I learned a lot working there as far as how to run a business as well as how to develop a team. I had one of the most successful teams in the company ranking as the top store year over year in two separate markets, one in the Northeast one in the Southeast. I was a paragon winner with the company as well. My most recent DM was very supportive. I genuinely thank them for the opportunity and the knowledge that I acquired while working with them.

Cons

Work hours were excessive. To be successful hours worked were borderline slavery. While I willingly worked them to be successful, the week you didn't you were immediately behind. Vacations were almost non existent due to constant visitors from corporate stopping in to do reviews. Holiday weeks were paid 4 days regular 1 holiday and you worked all 5. The facade of the stores looking great when these people stop by versus the reality of the business is polarizing. There were always teams of people and excessive expenditures of payroll thrown into stores prior to their visits. While I understood the need to make an appearance, it was always will always be a backwards way off thinking. Company preaches quality of life for their clients while quality of life for their employees is non-existent. As a "manager" in your average store you will be "managing" a total of one person during your shift, with a total of 10 people at location. Location open hours will exceed total payroll hours ie Sun-Sat 7am-10pm = 15hrs per day x 7 days x 2 people = 210 hrs which excludes the need to have a person unload deliveries that come in during non opened hours. Your budgeted hours will be approximately 208 hrs. I will only mention that during the month of December that there are extended hours for the stores but no budgeted hours to accommodate. Stores are held to strict shrink targets with little to no control over external theft. Remember 2 people at location, if four people enter to steal there is nothing you can do to stop them. These are facts not personal prejudices.

Advice to Management

Revisit business structure. Employ cost cutting at a higher level, not at a store level otherwise you will compromise the business. If DMs are losing company vehicles so should RMs. Loss Prevention should be completely eliminated due to the fact they are ineffective and non-impactful; they are a voice with no power. I challenge corporate figures to walk into stores unannounced to anyone to really see what happens in the average minimum hours location. I make this challenge knowing that they will not as this is of no interest to them. At corporate level within the company they have never managed a location so they have no understanding. I do not fault them they are well educated and were placed into their positions.

Pharmacy Tech

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Payed Pharmacy tech training, friendly employees.

Cons

Low wages, minimal hours, bi-weekly pay

Advice to Management

Increase hours or increase pay.

7. Non stressful workplace with great co-workers!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Zieglerville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Zieglerville, PA (US)

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. There is always a chance to learn something new and never once did I feel like the "new guy". Everyone was and is always very accepting and it is a very tight knit store where you make lifelong friends and have "regulars"

Cons

Not great benefits for part time employees. Every CVS is different and has a different environment some good some bad

8. research assistant

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

great place good work environment

Cons

some negative customers at times

9. market investigater

I have been working at CVS Health full-time

Pros

Freedom...great network...good benefits...overall decent company

Cons

Very very boring at times...and the job can be ver dangerous also

Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learned a lot about the pharmacy industry.

Cons

Corporate is always all over you. Expect you to do more while takig away hours.

Very stressful, fast paced job

Current Employee - Pharmacist Technician in Talladega, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Technician in Talladega, AL (US)

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is simple. The scheduling is pretty flexible. Works around your school or personal schedule. Overall a decent company.

Cons

The pay isn't good. Pharmacists can get real stressed and rude to the employees. They micro manage at times which can get stressful.

Advice to Management

Too much work for too little pay. Increase pay.