Cablevision Systems

www.cablevision.com

Cablevision Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Cablevision Systems President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Madison Square Garden; and Governor, New York Knicks James L. Dolan

James L. Dolan

Pros
  • Free TV, Internet and phone services (in 25 reviews)

• Great Benefits, If you earn less than 50K your health insurance is Free (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • The reps at my call center are what I would consider as a consumer, to be pretty professional (in 18 reviews)

• A lot of customer service calls and mid level managers are very negative (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Cablevision should give more opportunities to their employees.

Sales Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Piscataway, NJ (US)

ProsThe give benefits the first day you start and pricing is very reasonable

ConsThey only give minimal raise and do not have much room for growth. Management gives unreasonable expectations which then they make you will like you can not do youre job correctly. If you do not go above and beyond every single day a employee will seem like they are not trying hard enough. I feel that cablevision managerment runs around in circles trying to do the same thing and never improving. Departaments also do not work together it's always a power struggle to get what needs to get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more job opportunties for individuals that are willing to grow and learn.

Work In Progress

ProsBenefits, atmosphere, vacation/sick time, incentives, Enthusiam from staff to succeed.

Conspersonal growth, lack of thorough training when there's a rapid changes to a procedure

Backstabbing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bethpage, NY (US)

ProsFree cable, phone, Internet. Decent people, mostly. Suburban atmosphere

ConsBackstabbing superiors who did not flinch to throw others under the bus to save their own job. So glad I'm gone, but was a brutal experience. Went from two years of "exceeds expectation" in job reviews to whacked so my boss could save his job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUgh.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Sales Pays Well, but No Opportunity

Business Sales- Direct (Current Employee) Edison, NJ (US)

ProsIf you achieve or exceed quota as a Business Account Executive, you will earn 6 figures. Benefits are some of the best out there.

ConsCompany going through a major internal shift. It seems like there is no budget for growth. Management culture is highly political and can be extremely negative and condescending. HR is not there for the employee, but rather to shelter abusive managers. There is no room for growth as a sales rep. Product penetration is unbelievably high for door to door reps and for those in Strategic, Enterprise Optimum Business or other Alternate Channels there is weak leadership and no support from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you care about commercial sales. Don't pretend to be a telecom company (SIP, PRI etc.) and yet spend no money on support and improving those processes. Support and marketing for these higher end products is a joke. Also, put more oversight on your abusive, condescending managers. My manager is out of control, employees fear him and no one feels that the company or HR would do anything.

A great company

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Bethpage, NY (US)

ProsI enjoy the values that the company generally places on its employees. It has great benefits and competitive pay. Many different types of positions are available

ConsWorkload is extreme, career paths are unclear and the management is not strong. (not EVP level and above)

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors/VP/SVP's need to be leaders, not traffic coordinators.

I learned a lot of information on sales and telecommunications at Cablevision Systems.

Outbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bethpage, NY (US)

ProsFast paced environment with a lot of support to help you achieve your sale goals.

ConsThe commission structure did not compensate well for the sales achieved by employers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission structures should be a little more flexible in late night hours since sales calls cant be made after 9pm.

Awesome mix of people.

Customer Service Representative Perm (Former Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsPaid Insurance, Holiday bonus, and free cable for the price of equipment. Great variety of people to work with. Outdoor summer bbq in the parking lot and always a fun winter party. Many people were able to move up to non phone positions and start careers.

ConsRepetitive call after call, micromanagement, (typical call center). I did find it odd that they were so worried about being unionized that we had group meetings about it one time, and another time after a major change with the company we were told not to comment online and even anonymous comments by employees would be found out. (never actually heard of anything happening beyond the threat.) Other then that nothing too bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees are compensated fairly, as Long Island is a very expensive place to live, keep up with the good employee benefits, and don't let online complaints, whether by employees or clients serve as detractor. Use social media as a tool to turn customers around and also add more jobs.

Management was fair, but supervisors were miserable people.

Field Service Technician (Former Employee) Hicksville, NY (US)

ProsFree cable and decent benefits. 4 month training program for new field techs. Great gear and uniforms. Free employee gym and movie theater. Great work schedule 4 10 hour days and 3 days off.

ConsDifficult supervisors. Terrible pay, but it has gibe up since '06-'07. Rough customers at times. Long days and rough of knees and joints. Correcting customer service mistakes. Its sad it took Brooklyn to get a union in there and Dolan wanted it out. He promised techs more money and better equipment if they ditched the union. He fired all the managers. It took that shake up to make rich boy Dolan pay more to his techs that make him rich. High job burnout. Poor personal days only 3 and only 5 sick days for the WHOLE year.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your techs. They are your eyes and ears. Even out the workloads better. Give more paid personal days and sick days for better work/life balance.

A la carte experience with lots of flexibility.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits include comprehensive healthcare, cable TV reimbursement, retirement plan, continuing ed, recreational perks, overtime, and a host of other outings and activities.

ConsLousy working hours, high pressure news environment, highly politicized hierarchy, relatively lower salary compared to the competition, no days off during holidays, and not so generous time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hours are already pretty long, so give your employees more time to enjoy with their families.

Good opportunities but,,,,,

Many (Former Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsMany departments, positions and opportunities. Good benifits. Observing many managements, good and bad, taught me great skills.

ConsAs in anywhere, can be some clicks. Sometimes truth is not forthwith and trust in upper management can be questioned. A committed and dedicated employee can sometimes be overlooked due to poor upper management. This is one of the best skills learned to make myself a better leader in noticing, more productive and committed employees due to good work ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementMany may be promoted because of work relations not for skill and commitment. Many times a committed employee is overseen and not given an equal opportunity as may have been given to others. Open door policy is not always advised. Take notice to commitment.

Worked for Cablevision Systems? Contribute to the Community!