Calamos Asset Management

Calamos Asset Management Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Calamos Asset Management Chairman, CEO, and Co-Chief Investment Officer John P. Calamos Sr.

John P. Calamos Sr.

very good

Prosbenefits are really very good

Consno cons at all from my point of view

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is one of the best

Good place to work, management lacks direction

Senior Architect (Current Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

Proswork environment, nice building close to the highway.

Consopportunities to work on interesting projects.

Advice to Senior Managementclean house at the management level.

Terrible Culture! (& Full of Nepotism)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only pros are as others have said: lunch and short work days. In my opinion, it takes a lot more than a decent lunch and flexible hours to make me think a company has their act together.

ConsI have been gone for a few years now, and the farther I get away from the experience, the more terrible I feel for the poor people who are still stuck there. Get out! Most people work there for about a year thinking it's great because of the nice building, great lunch, "summer hours," etc... then reality sets in and everyone runs for the hills.

There is a huge "big brother" feeling in the building. Someone in HR once told me that they didn't want to chat w/ me about work while in the building as their understanding was that the building was "bugged". So bugged ceilings, IT tracking emails, and phone calls being listened in on........ not that there is anything to hide, but what kind of culture does that promote? And regardless of whether or not it's all true-- that's the environment that has been created. Bravo!

They also don't pay well. After two years at the company, I got the tiniest little baby increase (after scoring a 4.4/5.0 on my review). Sad! Shortly after that, I left there, joined a legitimate company, moved up drastically in job title and increased my pay by over $35,000/yr. :) And best of all- I enjoy going to work now!

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the culture. You can tell the HR team and some of the family think they are offering this amazing work environment... but everyone is miserable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for. Training could have been longer

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsGreat training program. Helpful superiors. On-site lunch

ConsLong commute (I live in Chicago).

Calamos Investments : Operations

Investment Operations (Current Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsEasy, good working environment, free lunch.

ConsVery political, movement to other areas of the firm are difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for growth, more transparency.

Too much control at the top

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsStrong commitment to investment team

ConsNo commitment to marketing staff

Advice to Senior ManagementChange

Run, don't walk!!!!

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsFree lunches, covered parking, green building

ConsManagement is a joke. People in certain areas of authority who have no business and no understanding of what their employees do. Worked for someone who was so insecure with their knowledge and abilities, that this person would go out of their way to treat me like crap. Management plays favorites and doesn't compensate employees accordingly. Managers and HR stick together and bully employees. You can't trust your fellow employees because they may stab you in the back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. You have lost many talented people over the years. Just like that old saying goes, with a little revision, cream rises to the top and gets out and scum hangs around.

Not unless you have no where else to go...

Marketing (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsBeautiful office and location with great food provided.

ConsIT controls everything and spies on employees. John Calamos hates sales and marketing people and picks a flavor of the month and then it's on to the next. If you're not in the family, stay away because you will be tossed around like a sack of garbage.

No one lasts very long at Calamos

Marketing (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsNice building, free lunch, outdoor patio and walking path

ConsNo one lasts long. Tons of turnover in senior management. The entire management team turned over in 5 years. Before you join, find out how long people in your department have been there. Very few get raises. Comp stays flat. Many departments have had complete blow ups over the last few years especially marketing. Firm has gone downhill since Nick Calamos and Jim Boyne left.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring some stability to the senior management team. Give top performers raises.

Good corporate structure. Great training program.

Sales (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsThey do a great job of hiring good people, whether they are experienced or not, and provide excellent training. Had some frustrations with the company during my time there, but the farther away I get, the more I see how well put together the organization is.

ConsThis went from a small operation to a large, 450-500 person company within a relatively short period of time so upper mamangement had a hard time not knowing what was going on in each department all of the time. Somewhat of a micromanagement situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnleash your talent a bit more. You hire good people and sometimes hold them back.

Worked for Calamos Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!