Cambridge Associates, LLC
www.cambridgeassociates.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros:
  • "as well as a good work/life balance in most departments"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Misleading job descriptions: you do no research or anything qualitative, just math and data entry"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Place for Average People to Have a Sedentary Career in Finance

Consulting Associate (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPro
Exposure to over 30 years worth of private equity, venture capital, hedge fund, and public market data that cannot be rivaled.

Caveat-
You will have to hunt for this information, though, as is the IT and internal software does not make it easy to find or couple relevant data streams to eachother.

Pro
The people of Cambridge are generally good, nice, amicable people

Con
It's all an act. The illusion of professionalism masquerading as professionalism itself

ConsEverything ties back to the salaries that Cambridge pays, which discourage talent from staying and doesn't attract new talent from joining....

Cambridge's organizational infrastructure was designed by Rube Goldberg; a company full of middlemen that shuttle hot potatoes.

Client's are dropping Cambridge on a nearly weekly basis.

Management is filled with people who's primary skill is loyalty to Cambridge, not true business line acumen.

Knowledge is so compartmentalized that no one - even at the board level - knows what's going on.

Consultants are more like waiters than subject matter experts. They sell the same products and managers to all of the clients, negating the tales of personalized portfolio tailoring that they advertise.

Cambridge is a chronic overpromiser and underdeliverer to clients, employees and itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake people's advice and do the opposite of what you're currently doing.

Not worth the year I wasted after college, provided no relevant experience to financial services industry.

Junior Research Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsAtmosphere was all 20 somethings, so it was fun to be around peers.

ConsManagement admitted to not being intelligent, micromanaging, horribly run, took advantage of college students desperate for jobs and paid them unlivable salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

No real skill development

Associate (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork / life balance
people are nice

Consmundane
low pay
not as much of an open door policy as they make it sound

Good place to start

Junior Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

ProsFriendly people, opportunity to learn

ConsThe work gets old, management at times micro-manages

Great company with opportunities to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWell managed. Good work-life balance. Opportunities to work with talented colleagues.

ConsHard to jump to another group within the company.

So frustrating...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC for less than a year

ProsTheir benefits are okay. But salary is a joke so that negates this Pro.

ConsThere are no exit opportunities if you work in the data/performance departments. Your only out is an internal transfer (where you'll still starve on the salary they pay) or getting a project management job (which will likely be unrelated to finance). I guess you can work at a fund of funds--but everyone knows that's a third-rate option. I made a fatal mistake accepting a position at this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney. Stop starving your employees with your shoe-string budgets and stop adding insult to injury by providing employees with little to no marketable skills after they give you years of essentially free labor.

Great company for early investment career experience

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

ProsGreat people, a broad learning knowledge; people are willing to help out; superiors are super friendly and want to help; great if you know 100% that you want to get an MBA as they have great connections

ConsTerrible salary; job gets repetitive; expect to stay a long time. I always think Cambridge would be a great place to do an internship because you learn so much about so many different types of investing. The downside, is that it does not teach you the necessary skills to do a lot of this type of investing (e.g. Hedge Funds or Private Equity or Venture Capital)

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay/incentives; Don't stick to the job progression guidelines so rigidly

Great place to start a career!

Junior Research Associate (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros- Exposure to prestigious clients and investment managers. Working at MIG has also honed my analytical skills and greatly increased my knowledge of various asset classes.
- Amazing firm culture. Colleagues are wonderful and there is a great sense of camaraderie. Also, many opportunities to connect with colleagues in other countries.
- Leaders are genuinely invested in employee's success. They care about you and your development, and a lot of effort is put into training and developing your strengths.
- Many leadership opportunities and room for growth as MIG is just starting to be built out in Singapore.

Cons- The MIG department in Singapore was recently set up, thus some basic teething problems here and there.
- Job can be challenging as associates are responsible for multiple stakeholders. However, there is a lot of guidance from leaders and colleagues to help you along.

Good people, great work/life balance, interesting clients and work

Senior Investment Advisor (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people
Great balance
Diversity of clients
Interesting topics to cover

ConsNot too tech savvy
Clients ultimately make their own decisions
Billable hours (at least you have to keep track of them)
Bureaucratic for a client-services business

Advice to Senior ManagementMandate innovation, best practices and true thought leadership from the top down, rather than merely repurposing models and exhibits for various clients with different titles as cost/time effectively as possible.

Great benefits, flexible environment, lack of direction

IT Professional (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, flexible hours, possible work-from-home options (depending on position)

ConsLack of communication across departments and even within some departments. The IT department has lack of vision, undefined career paths, little investment in employee growth/training.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cambridge Associates, LLC CEO Sandra A. Urie. All 111 reviews are posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees.