Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated 22 August 2014

3.6

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie
Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates (in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Bloated company

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

company values, available opportunities, type of work, clients, smart people

Cons

Management doesn't know how to make crisp decisions so they end up investing money in projects and then stopping those projects when they are about to be implemented.

Great Company to start career

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefit Package,
    Depending on position, you have great exposure to investment management from some highly skilled consultants.
    Wide array of tools to develop skills and career.
    Subsidized CFA exam fees, if pass
    Great atmosphere. Steady Work/Life balance.

Cons

Low Salary compared to profession.
    Associates do most of work, little to no recognition
    Different personalities, some consultants are better to work with than others
    Company is way behind when it comes to systems and technology.
    Feels as if the firm is very reactionary at time

Employees love the promote with-in structure, but there needs to be a system in place to allow investment professionals to stay with CA and be promoted to next tier.

Associate Position - Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

For a recent college grad the associate position will give you a nice set of professional skills (client management, teamwork, and learning how to prioritize and meet deadlines ). If you work hard and gain the respect of managers, you will have more freedom to spend time doing research & advisory in asset classes that interest you the most.

Cons

The training program in satellite offices should be strengthened. Cambridge needs to provide better training on the nuances of the asset classes, more advanced modeling skills and all in all empower them to be more active contributors to client advisory. Especially if CA is going to continue to recruit students with non-finance backgrounds.

While the starting salary for an associate is fine, year one and two raises need to bring salary to levels commensurate with other top tier consulting firms. This would meaningfully improve associate satisfaction and retention.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

review of CA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Great people and great learning experience. Strong culture and ability to learn a lot from very smart and accomplished people. Very collegial and great opportunities down the line for investment related jobs and business school.

Cons

Compensation is lower than average, however this is expected as work-life balance was stronger than many peers in similar roles at other investment related companies. Room for advancement is limited without an MBA or CFA.

Cambridge Associates - Manager Information Group

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Overtime not required very often
    - Access to robust database of research and historical data
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    - Cheap movie tickets

Cons

- IT challenged
    - Incompetent management at lower levels
    - Ineffective with internal communication
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Unsatisfactory training at most levels

Heading in the right direction with benefits, but will not be truly effective in retaining talent until salaries increase

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

Great culture/learning opportunities, but non-competitive salary for hours demanded

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Culture is great--firm-wide outing, good benefits (vacation time is generous), friendly team-centric atmosphere
    -Lots of young people in associate/analyst roles makes for a social firm
    -PD is highly encouraged--opportunity to attend and present at client meetings early on, business schools present at the office, attending manager meetings is encouraged and open to all
    -Opportunity to learn about all asset classes and work on many different client types
    -Associates who want to go onto business school get into top ten schools regularly and the CA name is well known and respected, at least in Boston

Cons

-The salary is not competitive in the finance or consulting industries, and while the entry level salary is okay, the promotion increases and bonuses are basically non-existent which can be demoralizing
    -While the Associate group is very social and bonds quickly over the long hours, at times morale can be low among the group because the pay is really not commensurate with the hours expected and frustration breeds
    -Promotions are decided by "peer" leaders, who read the feedback from the consultants you work with and then summarize it and present it to you. This quickly becomes a popularity contest and puts an unnecessary "middle man" in the feedback loop.

-Increase the pay jump for the promotion between Consulting Associate and Senior Consulting Associate
    -Recognize that burnout is a real threat to providing high quality service to our clients, and don't trim the number of Associates when you think about tightening the budgets--a small trim makes a real negative impact on the group and on our work/life balance
    -Don't cut the auxiliary team opportunities as Associates are more in demand on client work--this is a major recruiting draw for undergraduates coming out of college and is valuable to both their PD and the firm, as they provide marketing, Excel, Recruiting, etc. support

Great firm

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, well-respected firm and good work-life balance

Cons

Not the highest pay in the investment world, but that goes for all consultants

Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals.

Former Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

Cons

There is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Incentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.

Smart colleagues, changing department with lots of opportunities, but long and unpredictable hours detract from job

Current Employee - Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a changing firm and department with a relatively new management team (about a year tenure). The new management team is dedicated to the department and has put PRG on the right track. Employee engagement increased significantly with the new management team, which I felt was a big positive. Because of the changes there are lots of opportunities within the department to get noticed and grow. If you put yourself out there and get involved, then the managing team will notice you and reward you for your dedication. Colleagues are smart, and you get access to a lot of great research, as well as access to hedge fund and long-only managers. I think this is a good place for an entry level individual, as you will learn valuable skills and get access to really smart people.

Cons

The hours can be long and unpredictable, especially around 7-12th business days each month, depending on your client load. Also the ability to move elsewhere in the company isn't clear. If you are not entry level and have a few years of work experience, the growth potential is not as great as fresh out of college.

Continue the plan to improve the department and keep engaging employees.

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!