Canadian Solar

Add Photos

Canadian Solar Chairman, President, and CEO Shawn X. Qu

Shawn X. Qu

Unprofessional

Worker Bee (Former Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsLaid back atmosphere, decent software

ConsHorrible management, bully angry at the world supervisor, no objectives or career plan outlined, thrown in with the wolves with no training, then get yelled at for failing. 1960's style vending machines dispensing horrible (free) beverages). Below average pay. Below average benefits. Below average ergonomics. Spartan office. Too many coops.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your lower managers to be effective and lead by example, not 1960's bully tactics.

Investors beware!! Sell now! (MV) units. Every unit manufactured to date needs major service, on-site overhaul.

Assembly (Temp) (Current Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsVery relaxed un-supervised work environment. Other than that there has never been any real issue. When a goal is met ( far and few between ) they do celebrate with a good lunch currently quotas are in place but there is no repercussion for not making them. Or any changes.

ConsPoor quality MV side in London plant. Poor management. Currently looking for other employment before public announcement of the failing progress. Another con is other than the 4 supervisors that have no idea what they are doing EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE IS A TEMP.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced skilled workers. Not temps!!, the current employees have no desire for quality at all what so ever.

A very unprofessional place to try and work

Customer Service (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsThere are some nice people in the marketing and finance departments who come to work to do their job and who are very professional too.

ConsWhere do I begin? This place is run by bullies. They insult coworkers regularly and gossip is rampant. They set up people to fail if they don't like them and talking loudly and swearing is common here. And if you are bold enough to speak up to management it gets worse. Ironically you have to take a harassment course when you start working there and everything they say they will not tolerate...is tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake IMMEDIATE actions towards bullies and protect people that are there to work and be professional. Don't close your doors and allow it because that person has been there for a long time. And then when someone comes to you for support PLEASE back them up with the appropriate action and please let it remain anonymous so that person is not subject to more retaliation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interview for Quality Control Supervisor

Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are set procedures in this company

ConsI did not receive any result uptill now after passing all my interviews and reference checks

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice the management to investigate where is the problem and enforce strict rules to overcome such type of happenings in future

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not your average 9-5

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

Pros*Conducive environment for fine-tuning and strengthening your professional skills,
    *Fast-pace, metrics-drive environment
    *Dynamic leadership
    *Globalized and international outlook T
    *The team is filled with talented individuals who care about their performance.

ConsIf you are based in SF/Oakland, it is a bit of a commute

Canadian Solar marketing communication specialist responded to this review

Jun 05, 2014

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback.

the good company, if you wanna a quiet life

Prosgood work/life balance, people there are nice

Consgrowth is quite limited, i don't see too much the future for myself.

It pays the bills

Production Worker (Current Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

Pros- Friendly co-workers
    - Talent is recognized with career advancement opportunities
    - Being involved in green energy
    - Fair wages and night shift premiums

Cons- Working in a vulnerable industry
    - Poor foresight from management
    - Continental shifts aren't ideal for people with families

Advice to Senior Management- Communicate better all around - with workers and your fellow management!

An industry leader, but bogged down in inefficient processes and lack of communication between departments

Sales (Current Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking on projects that involve Solar Power
    Large vertically integrated company

ConsInefficient office procedures
    Lack of communication between departments
    Lack of direction from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to show some vision and some direction of the company.

Operation Coordinator

Operation Coordinator (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsGood money and busy work schedule

ConsInconsiderate supervisor and intolerable amount of swearing

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be considerate and act professionally in the office environment. Less favoritism and attacking language can make the office environment a much friendlier and less stressful place to work

Going downhill

ProsThe CEO has a good vision but needs to up the morale. Company has a relatively good product for a good price.

ConsThe company is too focused on cutting costs/corners in every level at the expense of its employees. Employees are constantly worried that they will be fired/laid off due to management's fear tactics. There is a lot of nepotism, favortism, and backstabbing going around. Employees that have been there for years have not seen raises. Low to zero appreciation for employees or their efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in managers that are not just out for themselves but that see the big picture and genuinely are interested in seeing their employees develop. The employee morale will see a boost if you do this. Invest in your employees and see them as an asset instead of a liability. Ditch the fear tactics.

Worked for Canadian Solar? Contribute to the Community!