Capgemini

3.1 1,746 reviews

Capgemini CEO and Director Paul Hermelin

Paul Hermelin

1,746 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, though experience differs in different projects"
    in 191 reviews
  • "Work Culture is so good and also there is an perfect work -personal space balance"
    in 169 reviews
Cons:
  • "Maintaining a healthy work life balance can be a challenge sometimes"
    in 64 reviews
  • "9 1/2 hrs work is the stupid decision took by senior management"
    in 51 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people, but always looking out for the next role.

Software Engineer Lead (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are great, and the projects can be quite big.

ConsYou're always worried of being benched, or TUPED to another company. For getting roles, it's who you know not what you know it feels like.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some job continuity with staff. Let staff move into different areas to gain further experience. It will only increase value to the company.

World-class Drupal team, incompetent senior management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best technical and relaxed colleagues I've worked with. Most of them are Drupal Core contributors, the devops are have broad technical and great soft skills too. I would have a pint with any of them, any time.

ConsIncompetent senior management. Old guys, who stopped DOING and MAKING technology 20-30 years ago. They are talking about fancy keywords, such as cloud and big data without the technical knowledge to implement the current practices.
The salary is ok, but does not follow the change of the consumer price index and skill growth.
Benefits spread unbalanced between staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the architects, technical consultant, who can't write code. Fire the sales people, who don't understand agile and promise the Jupiter with his moons to the client. Fire the test managers, who can't write and review test automation scripts. Fire the BAs, who can't construct proper user stories. These people worth nothing for an IT company and you are managing an IT company for God sake!

Good colleagues but a horrid review system. Low pay.

Lead Consultant (Software Engineer) (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had good colleagues and line managers that meant well and tried to make the best out of the situation. There is a good benefit scheme in place.

ConsCap has become a bodyshop where your personal well being is of no interest other than to your nearst colleagues. I went through difficult times at home after having commuted for about two hours each way over two years, and asked to get in on a project closer to home (there were plenty of them). First it was a yes, then silence for two weeks and finally I got moved 4.5h away from home.
The review system is a joke. You will not get promotion unless you are in with the right people. This is not a place for those who want to be rewarded for their efforts; Cap does not pay well. I made a salary jump of a good 24% getting a job in the same sort of role but with a different company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to look at how you can get your best employees to stay and create a culture that make people proud of working at Cap. Good people should be rewarded, not having to fight with a rigid and work demanding review system that is a real annoyance anda neuseance and which take way too much focus away from the real work.

A grown up company

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhile there is a strong focus on saleable skills, there is an equal focus on work/life balance. Interesting clients, good relationships with both peers and bosses.

ConsQuite a disjoint between the differing groups within Cap, which leads to overlaps, difficulty of knowledge transfer and redundant roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on listening to your employees and try to bring the differing towers together.

The worst company I have worked for and that is saying something

Infrastructure Service Manager (Current Employee)
Aston, West Midlands, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot many, some of the people are OK but people I could trust including colleagues I can count on one hand

ConsThe Management especially those aiming to become Executives or Directors, they will climb over you to get there. As Capgemini does not manufacture anything so it's staff are its only assets it treats them disgracefully.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage. Stop trying to race to the top on the backs of your staff. Stop this love affair with all things not UK based

Great Company, Great Culture

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery Innovative
Brilliant Customer Focus
Great Offices
Customers Tend to like working with them
Fantastic training opportunities

ConsPoor pay for industry (25% less than Accenture, HP and GCI)
People generally get promoted on length of service rather than quality.
Poor Graduate retention rate

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote young talent
Give real pay increase rather than piddly 3% here and there
Sell the ASE more. Fantastic resource that is underused
Be more arrogant! We do great stuff, tell the world like Accenture, HP and IBM do

Associate Consultant/Senior Consultant, Capgemini Consulting UK Plc

Associate Consultant/Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Capgemini full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat graduate program, really gives you great training and a breadth of opportunity
Work hard play hard culture - a fun place to work, met some great people
Rigorous capability development and performance assessment (UK business)

ConsInferiority complex with regards to other consulting players (e.g. Accenture)
Not always clear how consulting, technology and outsourcing value propositions came together
Work hours- need to self-manage
Opportunities to work abroad exist but you need to organise it yourself - very little support and integration between businesses

Great People, Freedom to Operate. On a journey.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome of the best people I've worked with.
Delagated authority in general makes it fun to work in. You can just do stuff.
Flexible about work style and location. A good work/life balance is possible.

ConsLack of salary growth for staff.
Matrix management and organisation overlaps can be confusing especially for senior hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementDemonstrate you value our people.

Enjoyable work culture, good mix of public and private sector clients.

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked at Capgemini for 7 years, and progressed 2 grades. It is a nice place to work, and there are nice people working there. Good work life balance, but that can vary with the workload. Some recent career management initiatives are welcome, but unsure if they will actually make a difference.

ConsPoor training opportunities, although they have recently launched architect and other academies, but these are not available to everyone. Salary rises are few and far between, even with good performance reviews. Expect your salary to remain the same for most years. Frequent business restructuring can make it difficult to build a relationship with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut the training budget half way through the year.

Great company to work for.

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork life balance. Open and honest

ConsNot much as cons - have had very positive experience

Worked for Capgemini? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capgemini reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Capgemini CEO Paul Hermelin. All 1,746 reviews are posted anonymously by Capgemini employees.