CarMax

CarMax Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard

Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding (in 22 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 48 reviews)

• Inconsistent work schedules and work-life balance from store to store (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

sales consultant

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent environment to work at, it is a great place to learn and develop. If you don't have any sales experience and want to learn from the best, come to work here!

Conscommission based only, so the slow days kills you, but on one good day, you will forget the bad ones!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and the effort of giving the employees a better working environment! I love carmax and hope to keep working there for a long time!

Fair and merit driven

Purchasing (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsWork life balance. Great work environment. Great camradary.

ConsConformist management competency profile. Far too many file reviews and associate development plans.

AWESOME Place to work

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsGreat corporate environment, most of the co-workers and management are real team players, more than most. Casual uniforms, great internal discounts.

ConsWork/Life balance. If you don't make the commission you need before pay day, you'll work open to close every day to get it. During those bad times, if you divide out your pay by the hour, it's very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a team player as much as you are a coach.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

College student working as a part-time sales consultant

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros-A great part-time job for college students and it will help you build some sales skills to take with you wherever you go
    -Fun environment
    -Good people to work with
    -Constantly learning and improving your sales skills
    -Will enhance your verbal and written communication skills
    -Tuition reimbursement
    -Sales managers who will work with you to make you better at sales
    -Mentoring program with an experienced sales consultant
    -Philanthropy

Cons-Unpredictable pay (commission only---no base hourly pay)

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall good experience with management but we should do more team building, fun activities outside of work.

Challenging but rewarding

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe pros are great benefits. They pay a good portion of my college. Everyone is respectful of each other and there is a "family feel". Carmax already has an established name so you never have to worry about getting customers. The pay can be great if you work hard. Even when im doing bad for the pay period, I'm doing 9x better then my previous job.
    They are open to hiring younger/less experienced people. Carmax provides training and its not impossible to be hired at 18 but you have to really stand out.

Hours are very steady. Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles.
    Best part time job for sure.

Seems there are opportunities for advancement if you stay in the company long enough.

ConsCustomers think you are hourly, so they will show up when you are not there and you will lose a hard earned sale.
    Weather affects traffic. In the winter you see less people than in the summer.
    There is no steady paycheck.
    At some times you do feel like you are micro managed but it is a sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love Carmax but putting "Hiring" signs right behind the podium does not send the right message to your workers.

Buyer

Buyer (Former Employee) Buena Park, CA (US)

Prosflexible with schedules and time offs

Consworking weekends and under paid

Advice to Senior Managementtreat associates better and need to hire better senior management

Part time Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsFor a part time job, the money was great.

ConsCustomers treat like a typical used car sales man and expect that you can change the price for them.
    The customers are the luck of the draw. Some customers are ready with the car they want and ready for you to sell it to them, others had no intention of buying a car in the next 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have any issues with management, but again I was part time. I might feel different if I was pulling those 60 and 70 hour work weeks.

Good place to work

Service Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA (US)

ProsPositive coworkers, positive atmosphere with others who want to succeed. Good training program, with online classes. Overall a good place to work.

ConsStressful Environment, the typical drive to increase profitability is everywhere. The customers however, are not the same everywhere you go. When dealing with peoples cars, expectations of customers is high and this creates a high stress atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales consultants over-sell the refurbished used cars and create expectations that the service dept. has to try and accommodate. Sales consultants should be realistic when selling the vehicles.

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL (US)

ProsVery fair company to work for. You don't have to haggle with customers.

ConsService department is closed on weekends. Sometimes you need a service tech to fix something to close a deal. Otherwise the customer walks or you have to wait til monday and hope they can fix it then.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the service center on weekends!

Growing Pains!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA (US)

ProsPay and benefits with the stock option, it's great! The culture is decent and the environment can be amazing when they allow it to be that way!

ConsA growing company likes to know how business is gauged and the way they do it is to micro manage. Micro managing can suck all the fun out of a company with tremendous potential and it still doesn't get you the results you're so badly trying to manipulate people to produce.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo upper level management: stop focusing so much on numbers that are not really KEY. Embrace your own culture of fun and just remind your sales team of the things that work and allow them to work. If you look, you'll find that customers appreciate a fun environment rather than a rigid pressure cooker that you're moving toward. Remember, the more fun you make and the more consultants you can get to work for free/"commission" and you'll get your product sold. Duh.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!