CareerBuilder

Matt Ferguson

181 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Account executive

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome training and development. Great leadership. Amazing innovation in the space.

ConsGrowing fast and constant innovation is leading to a stressful internal culture because the lack of organization and process improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating, improve internal process, develop leadership more.

3 years in and still loving it!

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic people, quick opportunities for advancement, high compensation, freedom to run your business the way you see fit! Benefits are amazing and products are state-of-the-art.

ConsFor some of the initial roles, there's a bit of hand-holding. But there has to be! As we move into software business, change is rapid and we've got to stay out in front of it. If agility isn't your thing, this might not be the sales company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep allowing the disciplined freedom approach!

A great sales building block with a lot of upward opportunity

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company culture is by far the best things about working for CareerBuilder. There are a lot of company events/happy hours, half day Fridays in the summer, and TRIP. Trip was one of the best experiences of my life. A 1 week all expenses paid for you and a plus 1 to an exotic location. Everyone is really nice and will do anything they can to help you.

ConsActivity - hitting stupid metrics that do not necessarily result in sales to stay off "plan". Change is the only constant not that this is the worst thing in the world but sometimes changes are not communicated very well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving to keep up in the market place. Things have changed so much in the 3+ years since I have been here and in a great way!

Trending The Wrong Direction

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- CareerBuilder truly is a great organization that employs some fantastic people.
- The bonus potential and rewards trip are excellent motivators
- Benefits are top-notch (wellness reimbursement is an exceptionally nice perk)
- You will gain valuable knowledge that will allow you to excel in other roles

Cons- Management. Hire people who actually know how to LEAD other people. Note: there is a big difference between management and leadership.
- To continue on this note, bullying and humiliating your salespeople will not make them more effective. A little positive reinforcement can go a long way.
- The blind devotion to becoming a SaaS organization has resulted in ridiculous product quotas in some groups. People's jobs are threatened not for lack of performance, but for failing to sell the product de jour in the way leadership wants you to sell it.
- Passing the buck. It's no secret that the support groups are not well paid. That being said, the people who (at least in theory) support the sales reps constantly shirk responsibility. It's always somebody else's problem with them.
-Training: In several business units, you are not provided with much in the way of training. Leadership is very good at telling reps what to do but not so much in terms of helping you develop the skills to do it.

If you are new to sales and are considering starting as an AE or SAE, save yourself the grief and just start in the Inside Sales Group. At least you'll receive the sales process training you need and the client interactions to make it stick.

Advice to Senior Management- Put leaders in place who actually want to and are capable of leading.
- You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar
- Develop your salesforce to have critical thinking skills and recommend solutions based on these abilities. You are creating an army of SaaS robots.
- Practice what you preach. Supposedly, your employment brand is "Growth Through Learning." Make sure this is actually happening. And, no, having 5 Lueco / Talent Network trainings per month is not real training.

Better Than Expected Experience Overall

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company perks. Camaraderie. Great pay and benefits. Innovation.

ConsInexperienced management. Company politics. Too much reliance on the "Kool Aid" - people reciting company values that don't have any idea what it means.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training for management. Sales leaders don't always make for great managers.

Open, supportive work environment

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsManagers, Directors, even VPs always have their doors open and they are more than happy to take suggestions and offer advice
High-emphasis on keeping employees health. Physically, mentally, financially.

ConsCommunication between departments can be difficult, especially given how spread out the company is geographically

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote conversations across departments at every level

na

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat first sales position for new grads

ConsSales so expect to work hard for the money. Not for everyone.

Great company, tons of growth potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you're willing to work hard, you can make a lot of money and climb the ladder at CB

ConsSales people were promoted into management with no idea how to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate paths for sales reps to be managers and don't promote someone to manager just because they can sell.

Peeling an Onion....each layer is worse

Major Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsThe on boarding process shows a vibrant culture full of fun events inside and outside of the company.

Some of the training was great too, but after the honeymoon it is over watch out.

The benefit package is nice

ConsThis place is worse than high school with the workforce hooking up every night and the older, older meaning 30-40 year olds, are stuck in frat mode and no new person is allowed in.........Even if you can sell you are never truly accepted, however like some kind of initiation that lasts for years, you are asked to be part of all the fake networking that goes on each day.

Be prepared to be micro managed. I later found out that they don't care if you make a few personal calls amongst your 30 to 120 required calls per day, but my jaw dropped when I heard that managers listen to them. What is worse is that managers will manipulate your personal information to make you work harder or quilted into working harder. This is done via listening to calls or using the goals you have written down on paper.

p.s. I have seen people question the rules, the principles, direction and focus of their leader, managers, directors, area vice presidents, & area sales managers to only be left in the dust to ROT. No support, good leads and given zero Disciplined Freedom......before you know it they are put on a PIP (performance improvement plan) with 0 to maybe 90 days to make sales...........OR you are fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think walking around the various floors or your own floor acting like a rock star, or think that making funny jokes because you have sold a few things in a growing company, than do it. It seems to feed your ego. (there is nothing worse than having leaders wear their title on their forehead and chest for everyone to see and bow down to.)

If you want to grow and become a true leader in the industry.....get your hands dirty. You said that the major growth is going to be from small to middle sized companies aka Middle Markets, then stop running account reviews and try joining the calls and meetings. ANYONE can be a arm chair quarterback.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is a great company to learn how to sell, call 120 people a day and learn a great industry.....all while working in a young hip hop work place with a ton of benefits. The healthcare benefits, college, and transit programs were top notch. Having a chance to have a place in the world where you get to put people back to work is truly rewarding.

The T1, T2 and T3 training is truly unmatched by any other sales group

ConsYou will enter a sales role in which the true value of selling what a client wants is thrown out the door and be forced and or rewarded to sell products that the executive team wants you to sell. The flavor of the month will at times switch to flavor or the day, which is all micro managed by your manager who has the ability to listen to every phone call you make.

The comp plan is very hard to get used to if you have any financial responsibilities, but because everyone is under 27 years old CB (CareerBuilder) leverages that workforce who don't truly care about long term career plans or money. As a slap in the face, CB will bring in a financial consultant to tell you how to manage a paycheck that is 50% less than what your industry competition is paying. Yes, Monster will pay you $60k plus bonus when CB will only pay $30k plus bonus. Linkedin, Simplyhired, Indeed and ADP will all pay almost double for a starting salary.

If you make it more than 9 months, the 4th quarter payout of the comp plan will finally pay what it needs to. Each sales division is also set up differently. Enterprise is set up on revenue so you get paid when your clients use the product..........thus you will force your clients to post jobs when they don't need to, with clever training seminars to tell you how to create that talk track.

If you get a job, make sure you make your manager and every equal or greater manager in the company as your friend. Nepatism is top of mind at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of my coworkers believed and wanted to convey the following but true candid feedback is never welcomed at CB but only viewed that you were not part of the team. It is sad that managers see it as that rather than a way to truly become great.

1. Change the comp plan / account base growth plan so that reps can stay in a sales role with the same book and territory. This will allow customers to have the same rep for more than 6 months and truly grow win win relationships....Instead you have bread an internal thought process that after 1, 2 and maybe 3 years, the most successful reps are forced to leave their role or be fired or make no money. This is so common that reps will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win and hit thier number. You have lost the equal amount of business since 2004 that you have brought in....This may be a factor

2. Protecting bad managers and bad sales people will only hurt you in the end and you will never truly grow from good to great. You are very top heavy in your management for the ROI that they bring to the market, teams and overall growth of the company. Salesforce can truly allow you to stop micro managing and reduce manager headcount as most of the leaders just look at data anyway. Rarely are they ever helping a salesperson get better and improve their craft. It is okay and actually very healthy to bring in new management to multiple segments of the business. Mark Landwer is a great example of this. STOP promoting or pushing great sales people into leadership..............they don't want it but it is their only option.

3. It is great that SaaS is a offering however, selling sticky products at 90% discounts without proper training or to just hit a number will ruin your name as a quality player in that space. You cannot scare or force reps to sell such items as they will sell them unethically................BUT maybe you don't care as the technolgy is sticky enough that the client will stay and your 100% turnover rate in sales will continue.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareerBuilder reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson. All 181 reviews posted anonymously by CareerBuilder employees.