CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group(in 34 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales(in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover(in 12 reviews)

Sattisfied

Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsMulticultural young environment, great people, fantastic new office near to the city center, I really love my job and CB !!

ConsPersonal growth not enough, I would like to have more possibilities for my development. Everybody is going great job and I hope soon to open new positions for us too.

Great company, with great people, values and opportunities

Product Development Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDigital Media sector; will do well even in tough economic times

ConsCan be tough to adjust to a corporate environment where you are only a cog in the machine

Great Culture and many learning opportunities

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Norcross, GA (US)

ProsStarted working a little less than a year ago right out of college. Very laid back culture. Upper management doesn't put any stress on employees and really value our input on decisions.
    Upper management also really encourages learning. Whether it be practical things used in the work place or taking classes at nearby university.

ConsAlthough the living costs of living in Georgia are much lower than other cities with a lot of technology, (SF, NY, CHI). The pay still seems to be less aggressive than other technology companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to get your start

ProsThere are a lot of positive things about working at CareerBuilder. Here are just a few...
    1) Culture - The culture is amazing and could be compared to that of a Google or Facebook. It really is fun.
    2) The benefits and perks are very good.
    3) Schedule - if you are in IT, your schedule is most likely very flexible. Get your job done and you have a lot of time to enjoy yourself.

ConsThe biggest issue for CareerBuilder is the pay for IT related positions. The company still heavily pushes itself as a 'Sales' type of organization, even though they are pushing software advances very hard. This means that salaries for IT related jobs are below normal.

The second issue is that certain teams are prided more than others. If you are on the right team, you will get recognition constantly; however, if you are not it will seem as if you make little impact, when in fact you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally. Operational teams, UX engineers, Search engineers...they all deserve the same acknowledgement.

Review pay. Keeping top talent should really be a top priority!

You get out of it what you put into it

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsExcellent sales boot camp; if you are willing to learn and check your attitude at the door; this is the place for you. Tons of opportunity, tons of money to be made, and the perks can't be beat! Annual Sales Trips + Happy Hours & Work Events are commonplace!

ConsThe culture has changed as the company has grown up... less like a family more like a franchise.

Sales

ProsAmazing company to work for...

ConsQuota can be aggressive and hard to maintain but the benefits of doing well is outstanding

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being amazing

First job out of college and it has kept me for 7+ years

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat Company, have learned so much, great CEO, wonderful co-workers.

ConsInternal teams don't understand what affects our clients. Products are created and rolled out to quickly and are unsuccessful. Reps then look bad and take the blame for them. it makes iIt hard for sales reps to "sell" when we can't believe in the product offerings and are unsure if they will work.

Amazing

National Account Executive (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat culture, benefits, and freedom.

ConsTough comp plan, high expectations

AE

ProsGreat place to work and learn

Consnone, I have learned a lot here.

Great company

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLots of opportunity for growth within the company, good management, work/life balance is excellent, culture overall is great. Senior management truly care about their employees.

ConsThe comp plan is terrible. They sell you on the fact that you're going to make a lot of money selling when in reality, you're not being compensated for what you actually do sell. After a while, there is no challenge anymore. If you have a great year one year, you have to work ten times as hard to be successful and make more money the next year. No one wants to call and nag their clients to "post their jobs."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing by rewarding those who are succeeding. There's absolutely no need to call people out by name when they are having a rough week or month. Everyone has bad months, it's unprofessional to make it known to the entire group.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!