CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Sattisfied

Client Support Specialist (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland

ProsMulticultural young environment, great people, fantastic new office near to the city center, I really love my job and CB !!

ConsPersonal growth not enough, I would like to have more possibilities for my development. Everybody is going great job and I hope soon to open new positions for us too.

Great company, with great people, values and opportunities

Product Development Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDigital Media sector; will do well even in tough economic times

ConsCan be tough to adjust to a corporate environment where you are only a cog in the machine

Overall the company has a great vision and understand what the indutry dictates

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsIt's turned into true software sales and they are starting to changes everythign to support that

ConsA little slow in transitioning comp to a SaaS company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the operations side functioning more effectively.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, mind numbing job

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsCompany culture is young and fun, they're generous on the giveaways (ipads and amazon cash), my immediate co-workers were great

Consthis is true of any sales job - constant worry about hitting sales quota and cold calling the occasional jerk

Great people moving in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norcross, GA (US)

ProsFreedom to pick the tools and languages most appropriate to your problems. Lots of great learning opportunities. Relaxed work environrment. Leadership really listens to employees at all levels and makes an effort to improve. Quarterly bonuses are nice. 1/2 day fridays during July and August, and a pretty good PTO policy

ConsPay is low compared to the tech sector in Atlanta, and they lose lots of experienced engineers to to bigger salaries somewhere local. Not much effort made to hold onto experienced engineers can make it hard to build reliable scalable softare.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to hold onto experienced engineers, a software company can't run on software only built by people fresh out of school

Great Culture and many learning opportunities

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Norcross, GA (US)

ProsStarted working a little less than a year ago right out of college. Very laid back culture. Upper management doesn't put any stress on employees and really value our input on decisions.
    Upper management also really encourages learning. Whether it be practical things used in the work place or taking classes at nearby university.

ConsAlthough the living costs of living in Georgia are much lower than other cities with a lot of technology, (SF, NY, CHI). The pay still seems to be less aggressive than other technology companies.

Good place to get your start

ProsThere are a lot of positive things about working at CareerBuilder. Here are just a few...
    1) Culture - The culture is amazing and could be compared to that of a Google or Facebook. It really is fun.
    2) The benefits and perks are very good.
    3) Schedule - if you are in IT, your schedule is most likely very flexible. Get your job done and you have a lot of time to enjoy yourself.

ConsThe biggest issue for CareerBuilder is the pay for IT related positions. The company still heavily pushes itself as a 'Sales' type of organization, even though they are pushing software advances very hard. This means that salaries for IT related jobs are below normal.

The second issue is that certain teams are prided more than others. If you are on the right team, you will get recognition constantly; however, if you are not it will seem as if you make little impact, when in fact you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally. Operational teams, UX engineers, Search engineers...they all deserve the same acknowledgement.

Review pay. Keeping top talent should really be a top priority!

Sales

ProsAmazing company to work for...

ConsQuota can be aggressive and hard to maintain but the benefits of doing well is outstanding

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being amazing

You get out of it what you put into it

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsExcellent sales boot camp; if you are willing to learn and check your attitude at the door; this is the place for you. Tons of opportunity, tons of money to be made, and the perks can't be beat! Annual Sales Trips + Happy Hours & Work Events are commonplace!

ConsThe culture has changed as the company has grown up... less like a family more like a franchise.

AE

ProsGreat place to work and learn

Consnone, I have learned a lot here.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!