Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros:
  • "They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Plenty of opportunities to move in many different career directions once you are hired"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is talked highly about, but when it comes down to it they don"
    in 22 reviews
  • "I found it difficult to transfer between business units having a background in other companies besides Cargill"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very positive experience - plenty of experience in a small amount of time.

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cargill as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou get to work with all types of people in a fast paced environment.

ConsPlants can be very nasty, so if you are one to shy from smells or pests you may not be right for this position.

No growth, slow moving corporate environment with slow innovation in technology

Biotechnologist (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

Prosstability, slow paced, low expectations

Conslow salary, low transparency, promotions are not performance based

Advice to Senior Managementrevamp technology to be a priority rather than a show piece

Nice

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsReally nice people work at Cargill, for the most part, however it is a very, very large company, so it depends on which division (platform) you work in, and of course your direct manager can make or break the job. As a huge, global company, there is a good range of career paths. You take control over your career path - managers encourage meeting people and developing your network so that your career can blossom. Careers are enabled and supported by senior management and HR if you are committed to the company. As a trader, it's a great training ground.

ConsCertain divisions can be less appealing than others. Cargill is a private company which is good in some ways but they remain afraid to communicate, and in some divisions this extends down to employees which can hinder motivation. Marketing is very underdeveloped as a discipline. Cargill is notoriously cheap - only very senior-level employees are given permission to fly business class and the hotels people are expected to stay in upon arrival are often sub-optimal. Because of the vastness of the company it is difficult to understand.

growing

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

Prosmulticultural world wide private work life balance

Consethical not very well paid administratively heavy

Advice to Senior Managementna

Terrible manager leading an incompetent team

I have been working at Cargill full-time

ProsGood benefits and salary
Opportunities to advance on the ladder

ConsYour experience will vary depending on which department and manager you work under, but I had the unfortunate experience of working in a team that worked under a terrible manager.. This manager was hardly ever in the office to actually do his job of managing. If the team is lacking in performance, the problem lies with the manager. This is what HR doesn't get. HR needs to investigate into how their managers do their job and get rid of those who don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success of a team lies with the competence of the manager. You need to weed out the ones who don't take their job seriously and only want to bring in their own team from foreign countries.

Build, grow and develop the Corporate Transportation & Logistics team across EMEA

Head of Transportation & Logistics EMEA (Former Employee)
Mechelen (Belgium)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBusiness model, learning opportunities, networking, diversity, growth and development opportunities, global footprint.

ConsCorporate culture, work/life balance, respect

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Cargill (in India) is good only for trading. Dont make the mistake of joining its B2C (consumer packs) business.

Managerial (Former Employee)
New Delhi (India)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCargill is a trading company. If you are planning to be a trader at Cargill....go ahead. There isnt a better company than Cargill as far as trading is concerned. However, dont make the mistake of joining its B2C business (Consumer Packs division).

Pros:
a. Global Scale
b. Large number of business platforms

Consa. Short sighted policies (sales/marketing). HR non existent!
b. Poor pay master
c. "Babuji" culture
d. Arrogant Sr Management, operating like a one man show

applying as a lab technician

Lab Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Cargill full-time for less than a year

Prosgood social benefits to complement the basic salary

Consthe actual salary, salary/workload ratio

Not a place to build or develop an IT career

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

ProsComplex and diverse business, old values and views of employees with deep business acumen as key assets (we will attract and retain highly qualified employees), global teaming brings wide and varied diversity, always challenged to 'do more with less' was a test of skills and knowledge

If you are able to land an IT job in the business unit space (not Corporate IT), you will still experience the Cargill quality leadership.

ConsIf you land an IT job in Corporate IT, you will still experience poor leadership. Changes in the corporate IT leadership and strategy devalues employees with deep experience and business acumen (new IT strategy: "We will attract and retain early career employees") with primary focus to outsource most of IT, management to employee loyalty is weak or non-existent in most of the IT infrastructure area, mid-level IT leadership is there to make names for themselves first and claim the credit, "we will do more with less" has become overemphasized - cutting jobs and technologies is the means to achieve the goal, significant progress made in standardized technologies and solutions to fit a global enterprise has been thrown out the door - extensive changes in random, independent technology and solution deployments have severely fragmented the operational standards - significant move back towards allowing "100 ways to skin the same cat" in shortsighted mentality of 'saving money'.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity in the Corporate IT area is lacking - Say what you mean, mean what you say and at least try to follow through on those commitments.

Good for first professional job experience

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsGood training, lots of responsibility given early on, most people are approachable and willing to help, some travel and tradeshows to mix up the days, many resources available to help accomplish tasks or learn a new skill. The variety of things you learn along with the Cargill name translate well into many other fields and industries.

ConsIf you're a millennial be prepared for people to constantly tell you how young you are. Once people are hired here, they tend to stay (many times 20+ years) and people who drag the company down rarely get fired. Suggestions for improvement and efficiency are rarely considered. Be prepared for technology that's many years behind and very restrictive IT policies with your only option for help is to call a support center in india contracted through HP.

I was told the advancement opportunities were plentiful when I first started, but promptly dried up when it was time to start looking for the next position. If you like living in large cities, you're going to have a hard time advancing in the company without living in very rural areas or by HQ in Minneapolis.

Their culture is really suffering as the schism between old and new i.e. the long time employees and new employees, flexible work schedules vs typical 8-5, and overall resistance by some to new policies and technology.

Salary is about 25-30% lower than market rate (though you're told your benefit package is part of "total compensation") with yearly commissions paid out depending on how the entire business unit does. Even if you blow your sales goal out of the water, if the team sales goal isn't made, then your hard work is not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the consistent underperformers who create bottlenecks in processes, be more accepting of new technologies (newer laptops, ditch blackberry)

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All 385 reviews are posted anonymously by Cargill employees.