Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Opportunity ... or NOT!

ProsCargill has been a great company to work for with amazing opportunity to network and advance, if you take part in that. As one of the outsourced IT team, I'm wishing I had done so much earlier in my career here.

ConsThere've been a lot of restructuring in the recent years to Global IT. Seems none of them have been truly followed through to completion so has somewhat left it destined to fail at providing stability and the ability to become the holy grail of that center of excellence now being sought.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope your decision to move IT Infrastructure to Managed Services pays off. If not, many dedicated and talented people's lives were disrupted for naught.

Good company. Good benefits.

ProsStability and willingness to take on risk. Cargill will give failing businesses a chance to survive. But only for a short time. They will exit businesses where they have no competitive advantage, which is smart.

ConsThe IT outsourcing is not a good decision. IT security support is already difficult for users because of offshoring and communication gaps. Now they are extending this to all IT services. Every biz will suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. But bring IT back to US.

Could be a great company

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

ConsManagement has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they were great people for the most part, but boring repetitive work

QM Chemist (Former Employee) Blair, NE (US)

Prosuh, the people were awesome, like I said. Everyone seemed friendly and the management seemed like they cared about the employees.

Consthe hours were horrible, no personal life

Advice to Senior Managementconsider shortening to a 10 hour day.

Good Employer

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN (US)

ProsGood ethical company, volunteer opportunities, global experience

ConsIT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive. As a result, all IT infrastructure is being eliminated and they will be using managed services.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould have been nice to have had more opportunities for internal training to be considered for other internal opportunities.

Incompetent Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Geneva (Switzerland)

ProsVery relaxed and undemanding compared to large multinationals.
    Lots of diversity in product range offer good opportunities for. Broad experience.

ConsComplacent culture
    Senior management is a closed boys club
    Bureaucracy is everything

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Minneapolis.

Silent company, big player in food business

Proshigh safety concern, good principles/ethics, good source for learning

Conslong decision process, concervative, need more work flexibility

Outsourcing their Global IT infrastructure

Network Analyst (Current Employee) Bucharest (Romania)

Prosgreat team mates
    they invest in their people

Conslaying off the IT employees favoring tata consultancy service

Advice to Senior Managementthe decision to outsource IT will bite back in the near future

Project manager

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsHigh skilled company
    Opportunity to be in touch with all the world

ConsProcess are most important than people
    IT leadership is weak
    There are a internal war among Business áreas and IT

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are most important than process
    Hire better

Labor heavy job involving dirt and fecal matter

Farm Supervisor (Former Employee) Harrisonburg, VA (US)

ProsOutside work. Able to take in nature and fresh air

ConsNot a lot of personal time. 12 hour days and no weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are more important than your product. Though your profit benefits due to increased production, your employees safety and moral suffer .

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!