Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great international company

Grain Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Proshuge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Conssome locations not very glamorous

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

very good place to start a commodity career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice environment, good training opportunitites, they care about your development, if you are lucky, you can gen on international assignements. You can move into a very closed commodity trading space, which is difficult to do if you are new to the industry.

ConsThe company is just too big, which means a lot of things are done slowly or inefficiently. A lot of bureacracy, which starts hitting you at some point in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't even know what to say. I think the company is just the same as other behemoths.

Cargill Individuals and Individual Locations......

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Was able to work in Global Team so got to travel and working on other regions
    - Exposed to alot enabled me to grow
    - Some great team members

Cons- lack of respect from origanal location to my actual responsibillities, became selfish and gameplayers
    - Location seem to have enclosed mentality of the rest of the Cargill World
    - Best Knowledgable Collegues were contractors and werent treated with respect
    - Upper Managemnt are very self promoting and forget they are there to do a job and not be in the papers and on stage
    - Individuals Benefitting from knowing Vendors on Personal Level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling and feel a sense of belonging with a company

Intern (Current Employee) Liverpool, England

ProsMakes you feel very important even though you maybe nothing!
    Excellent communicational skills between people.
    Punctual and fair recruiting procedure.
    Rarely anyone is fired since company holds on to everyone for long term growth.

ConsPoor starting salary in my opinion, does not attract the best of the best.
    Poor profit margins, hence no bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the graduate salary and scheme more attractive so that it attracts the best minds to further improve the company's profits, and hence improve employees wages!

Good Job Experiences in Cargill

Software Developer (Current Employee) Jakarta (Indonesia)

ProsFrankly this is the best Company i joined so far in my career.
    the best thing about this company is their culture and their guiding principle.
    people in my team are the best talent that is available on the City, they are quite helpful,honest and easy to cooperate with.

Conschallenges are sometimes the project timeline quite tight.

Advice to Senior Managementi can not think anything of right now.

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

ProsCompany likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

ConsCargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

Cargill is a great place to work, could use more donuts.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN (US)

ProsBe sure to be very pro healthy foods at the office. People take the company culture about feeding the world very seriously.

ConsAgain the issue is they buy into the hype more than is warranted. We're going to run out of usable water a lot faster than we run out of usable food.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work, but could be a bit more realistic about expectations for performance. Might be worth using peer and subordinate evaluation methods.

The work is extremely diverse

Production Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood Career advancement opportunities

ConsMust be willing to relocate

Best company I have worked for.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

Proshigh values, respect for people, not just telling how important people are for them,but really taking care of them, very low turnover

Conslittle bit slow for some people, salary van be lower than average

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on doing as before

Company has grown into a bureaucracy where politics trumps performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob security, huge balance sheet, private company able to focus on the long-term

ConsFar too many employees that would likely not cut it at other companies due to underperformance remain employed and in some cases in positions with significant responsibility, often stagnating earnings in business units particularly the energy platform which has lost many key senior traders in the past 2 years which had been large contributors to earnings over the past decade.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!