www.cargill.com

Updated 15 December 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 33 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great international company

Former Employee - Grain Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Grain Merchandiser

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

huge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Cons

some locations not very glamorous

keep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

very good place to start a commodity career

I worked at Cargill

Pros

nice environment, good training opportunitites, they care about your development, if you are lucky, you can gen on international assignements. You can move into a very closed commodity trading space, which is difficult to do if you are new to the industry.

Cons

The company is just too big, which means a lot of things are done slowly or inefficiently. A lot of bureacracy, which starts hitting you at some point in your career.

Don't even know what to say. I think the company is just the same as other behemoths.

Cargill Individuals and Individual Locations......

I worked at Cargill

Pros

- Was able to work in Global Team so got to travel and working on other regions
    - Exposed to alot enabled me to grow
    - Some great team members

Cons

- lack of respect from origanal location to my actual responsibillities, became selfish and gameplayers
    - Location seem to have enclosed mentality of the rest of the Cargill World
    - Best Knowledgable Collegues were contractors and werent treated with respect
    - Upper Managemnt are very self promoting and forget they are there to do a job and not be in the papers and on stage
    - Individuals Benefitting from knowing Vendors on Personal Level

Fulfilling and feel a sense of belonging with a company

Current Employee - Intern in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Intern in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Makes you feel very important even though you maybe nothing!
    Excellent communicational skills between people.
    Punctual and fair recruiting procedure.
    Rarely anyone is fired since company holds on to everyone for long term growth.

Cons

Poor starting salary in my opinion, does not attract the best of the best.
    Poor profit margins, hence no bonus.

Make the graduate salary and scheme more attractive so that it attracts the best minds to further improve the company's profits, and hence improve employees wages!

Good company; outsources functions not in core competency

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Stable, global, diversified company.

Cons

They outsourced the entire IT Infrastructure organization from a technical perspective, leaving only a retained org of management. They have a tendency to outsource functions that are not in their "core competency" of trading, ag, etc.

Fun Work Place

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to wears jeans and fun tops on Fridays :)

Cons

Vending machines don't have crunchy cheetos :(
    Be warned they do not allow pets in the office - they made me take my hamster home. It was very unfair because she (Josie) didn't make any noise at all. She was so happy at the office the three days before my boss came back from vacation and made me take her home. Sad really.

Get Cheetos :)
    Allow pets that do not bark or meow. I think it would be very nice to be able to hold and pet a small animal during meetings or over lunch.

Cargill

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cargill many business units provide security that there is always more to learn and more career and personal opportunities available within Cargill. This being said I have never felt bored at my career; I am working for my third business unit in my 10th year of working for Cargill and love it! Cargill has a family type environment were co-workers not only care about each other but passionately care about the projects and industries they are focused in.

Cons

I really don’t have any con’s, maybe some other companies pay better but from what I see those companies don’t treat their employees as well as Cargill does. My only regret working for Cargill is not starting sooner.

At times our company can seem a little risk adverse, if I had to say one thing about management is: trust your employees instincts sooner, this would lead to faster responses and better efficiency.

Great company

Former Employee - Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer in Alajuela (Costa Rica)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer in Alajuela (Costa Rica)

I worked at Cargill

Pros

challenging, always learning and growing. You are expose to great projects, participating and applying what you've learned.

Cons

It can be very stressful if you are not use to constant pressure. If you are not organized would be hard to keep up with the daily projects.

An ideal employer for a life long commitment

Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly culture and flat structure. Big company with good infrastructure and a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Might be confined to your own office

beautify the office a little bit

Lots of responsibility and room to grow if they listen on the animal nutrient side.

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life is okay as well as pay. There is room for advancement and I don't see in the near future of going anywhere as a whole company, but you never know. there is job security in a not so stable economy at the moment if your in a larger plant, but smaller sites are a little iffy with reorgs that seem to be coming down, but that also could be a way in.

Cons

Lack of listening and direction at times,. good ideas as well as needs for departments and personnel get moth balled or ignored until its to the boiling point. The problem with advancement is if you want to get higher in the company you have to move just like most places like this. They aren't upfront with certain things and stability in smaller plants is not guaranteed due to undermanned, outdated, not able to keep up with the newer plants and some of the plants and distribution points are not close to areas as well as capital list needs are not met in a timely manner which puts a lot of stress on employees/management of those plants as well as uncertainty in customers. Also they may care to a point, but if it affects business your on your own.

Get back in touch with your employees and customers, i know its hard since its a big company, but the little things go a long way and being properly staffed instead of being stretched beyond your means means alot to people especially when they can get time off and not have to cancel everytime someone is ill or a customer decides they want it now. Also have a system in place so if equipment and personnel as well as facility needs are needed it can get noticed and looked at right away and do a way with the model mill crap, it actually is giving false impression/readings half the time.