Cargill Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• lots of opportunities to try new things, especially if you are willing to relocate (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 31 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great international company

Former Employee - Grain Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Grain Merchandiser

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

huge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Cons

some locations not very glamorous

keep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

very good place to start a commodity career

I worked at Cargill

Pros

nice environment, good training opportunitites, they care about your development, if you are lucky, you can gen on international assignements. You can move into a very closed commodity trading space, which is difficult to do if you are new to the industry.

Cons

The company is just too big, which means a lot of things are done slowly or inefficiently. A lot of bureacracy, which starts hitting you at some point in your career.

Don't even know what to say. I think the company is just the same as other behemoths.

Cargill Individuals and Individual Locations......

I worked at Cargill

Pros

- Was able to work in Global Team so got to travel and working on other regions
    - Exposed to alot enabled me to grow
    - Some great team members

Cons

- lack of respect from origanal location to my actual responsibillities, became selfish and gameplayers
    - Location seem to have enclosed mentality of the rest of the Cargill World
    - Best Knowledgable Collegues were contractors and werent treated with respect
    - Upper Managemnt are very self promoting and forget they are there to do a job and not be in the papers and on stage
    - Individuals Benefitting from knowing Vendors on Personal Level

Fulfilling and feel a sense of belonging with a company

Current Employee - Intern in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Intern in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Makes you feel very important even though you maybe nothing!
    Excellent communicational skills between people.
    Punctual and fair recruiting procedure.
    Rarely anyone is fired since company holds on to everyone for long term growth.

Cons

Poor starting salary in my opinion, does not attract the best of the best.
    Poor profit margins, hence no bonus.

Make the graduate salary and scheme more attractive so that it attracts the best minds to further improve the company's profits, and hence improve employees wages!

Overall great company to work for, unless you are in Information Technology

Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cargill places a lot of value on serving the communities in which they operate.
    They benefits are good, although, the health insurance benefits have decreased over the years.
    Depending on your manager and the team you work for, there are opportunities to work from home.
    It is a great place to work if you want experience working on a global team.
    They really work at being a company with a diverse culture. In many companies that I have worked for, the amount of women in IT was scarce. Cargill is the first company that I worked for that not only had a greater number of women in IT, but they had women in IT management roles.
    Great co-workers. People look out for each other and really have a desire to see their team and team members succeed.
    Excellent opportunities for advancement

Cons

Do not work here if you are in IT.
    There are a significant number of middle level managers that "manage up". They are more concerned with how they look to upper management, and are not as concerned about the people that work for them.
    IT is their policy to pay to industry standards, but I have found that they tend to pay lower. However, that could be just my experience.

Executive level management - Excellent leaders
    Middle level management - Boy, this level really needs some work. Really try to get a feel for how employees view their managers. You have seen the engagement scores, and the problem has, and continues to be this level of management. You have a few really good middle level managers, but not too many. Help this group of people learn how to manage people as well as business. Encourage them to be candid with their employees, and if they cannot, let the employees know that it is something that they cannot discuss. People appreciate that more than being lied to.
    Supervisors and direct managers really do a good job of pulling together great teams and accomplishing a lot. Take a hard look at your middle management employees and develop a true understanding of how they manage things. I strongly feel that this is the weakest area in Cargill.

Good place to work, but pay could be better.

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere. Easy work. Good hours.

Cons

Low pay. They hire stupid people for low pay.

Pay a little more to keep top talent.

Cargill Review

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Good relocation package, a lot of opportunities for advancement, large networking, good culture

Cons

Financial sector paid less than other sectors, some locations are in the middle of nowhere

Great company, good atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security, good work life balance, interesting work, many advancement opportunities.

Cons

Training is lacking for new hires, organization is slow to adapt to changes in the industry

Cargill larges family owned company with great perspectives

Former Employee - IT Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

International Environment, great people to work with, great development opportunities, great diversity in the Job working with manufacturing, finance, trading etc. Good overall strategy for the business. Worked with very experienced IT professionals.

Cons

My concern is that Cargill is not an IT innovatied company but a great learning school as you will face a great scale of all kind of IT technologies due to all kind acquisition that take place.

IT is not Cargill's core business but an important pillar to improve business in the future don't take IT for granted it will help to sustain the growth of Cargill worldwide.

Great Opportunities, Bad timing

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, great work hours, great co-workers (outside of a few bad apples), lots of opportunities, great experience, learned a lot.

Cons

About who you know,not what you know. Manager's advice to me was "fake it till you make it" which seems counter productive, but they are doing well and I'm going out the door.

Don't let personal relationships sway who should be in charge.