Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Great international company

Grain Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Proshuge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Conssome locations not very glamorous

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

very good place to start a commodity career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice environment, good training opportunitites, they care about your development, if you are lucky, you can gen on international assignements. You can move into a very closed commodity trading space, which is difficult to do if you are new to the industry.

ConsThe company is just too big, which means a lot of things are done slowly or inefficiently. A lot of bureacracy, which starts hitting you at some point in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't even know what to say. I think the company is just the same as other behemoths.

Cargill Individuals and Individual Locations......

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Was able to work in Global Team so got to travel and working on other regions
    - Exposed to alot enabled me to grow
    - Some great team members

Cons- lack of respect from origanal location to my actual responsibillities, became selfish and gameplayers
    - Location seem to have enclosed mentality of the rest of the Cargill World
    - Best Knowledgable Collegues were contractors and werent treated with respect
    - Upper Managemnt are very self promoting and forget they are there to do a job and not be in the papers and on stage
    - Individuals Benefitting from knowing Vendors on Personal Level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling and feel a sense of belonging with a company

Intern (Current Employee) Liverpool, England

ProsMakes you feel very important even though you maybe nothing!
    Excellent communicational skills between people.
    Punctual and fair recruiting procedure.
    Rarely anyone is fired since company holds on to everyone for long term growth.

ConsPoor starting salary in my opinion, does not attract the best of the best.
    Poor profit margins, hence no bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the graduate salary and scheme more attractive so that it attracts the best minds to further improve the company's profits, and hence improve employees wages!

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

ProsCompany likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

ConsCargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

The work is extremely diverse

Production Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood Career advancement opportunities

ConsMust be willing to relocate

Best company I have worked for.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

Proshigh values, respect for people, not just telling how important people are for them,but really taking care of them, very low turnover

Conslittle bit slow for some people, salary van be lower than average

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on doing as before

Full of Type-A personalities that can be overwhelming at times

Feed and Nutrition (Former Employee) Boise, ID (US)

ProsGreat resources for research, technology, financial security, and social network. Treated me like I was a full-time employee and wasn't afraid to give me responsibilities.

ConsA lot of the people were type-A personalities and could overwhelm me with their drive and focus. While those are great people to work with, they can push you too hard and let you fail if you didn't work your hardest in every single task.

good place to work

Sales Agronomist (Current Employee) Alma, NE (US)

Prosthe company offers good pay along with excellent benefits.

Conscorporate hassle, annual meetings scheduled at inconvenient times of the year.

It's a job

Accounting Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsThe business of agriculture is not going anywhere. It can't. People need food, and food needs land to grow. Typically willing to work with employees on Work/Life balance, ability to work from home occasionally, time off for regular doctor visits and children's needs.

ConsThe business isn't going anywhere, but the jobs are. Centralizing all admin jobs and most customer service. Farmers, Cargill's customers, are angry. Low pay - most of us have college degrees for a job the doesn't necessitate it, making well below the Market average for our jobs in our region. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more input from different people/positions within the organization before making huge decisions. We recently closed a plant that local management had spent a couple years discussing and creating a viable long term plan for, but when centralized management came in, they saw what they wanted to see and completely dismissed the 2 years of analysis that had already been done.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!