Cbeyond

Cbeyond Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger

Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world(in 23 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do(in 28 reviews)

• The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago(in 10 reviews)

Good vision, lousy execution

Cloud Sales Director (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsVery open to embrace new technologies and great culture and benefits, pay is competitive and if you work hard, you can make good money.

ConsThe Company had great vision when decided to get into the Cloud business, however they tried to sell those services with the same old Telco mentality; of the biggest challenges was to get management to understand that mission critical services cannot be closed overnight.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late of any advise, as of Friday 7/18 Cbeyond will disappear forever and it will become Birch Telecom.

Wool over eyes

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, operations is open to suggestions, ability to truly partner.

ConsStifling growth, refusal of management to adjust with new talent, backhanded dealings

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say and be respectful of your talent if you want to retain them.

Churn and Burn!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery cheap vending machine for drinks and snacks. Good for newer folks looking to join the work-force. Company events for top producers

ConsChurn and Burn/Micromanagement. Really bad reputation in territories where you have to walk in and sell Cbeyond products. These territories have most likely been ran through by a previous employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some other type of Marketing and don't rely solely on foot soldiers. Maybe a TV/Radio ad.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to learn and grow.

ProsAwesome people, wonderful leadership. Cbeyond is a great environment to work in. I have learned so much from the leadership team and my experiences there. They have an on-site gym which is awesome.

ConsDefinitely fast paced environment and sometimes there is a lack of direction. The phrase "do more with less" gets thrown around a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop for a moment and focus. Listen to your employees, they have a lot of valuable insights.

One of, if not, the worst sales jobs I have ever had (Oakbrook, IL)

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsSome of Cbeyond's product lines like Cloud based PBX, Cloud server & back-up, even high speed Fiber internet are new and exciting products to sell. The company also spends good money on the office facility (at least the Oakbrook, IL location anyway) The two week training course was also very helpful to me from a standpoint of they train you on how to run a sales presentation, useful in any sales job and the trainers actually care to see that you are adequately trained.

ConsThe WORST management I have ever seen at an organization. Good Ol Boy (or, Good Ol Girl) mentality when talking about promotion. EXTENSIVE micromanagement expecting unrealistic numbers instructing to knock doors of prospects (old school approach) that HATE the brand when most say, "I will never have Cbeyond again". Lack of post sales support and bad service has resulted in tens of thousands of ill fated web reviews of Cbeyond service left by customers exposes ALL OR MOST of your newly interested prospects to the horrors other businesses have had to deal with which kills your POTENTIAL deal and flushes all your hard work, money spent on gasoline (which is NOT at all fully or properly compensated for), and your career at a failing company, DOWN THE TOILET...Don't make the same mistake I did and fall for their lies saying you could hit 6 figures and above in your first year. Its virtually impossible. The top rep at the company was near 90k and that was only because he had a tech vendor spoon feeding him 'free deals'...Maybe you will get lucky. Maybe you will make some bucks but I promise you will HATE your job AND your manager and that's OK by Cbeyond because they know this will happen, you will move on, quit or get terminated, and they will hire another "You'...CHURN AND BURN BABY.

Advice to Senior ManagementDOOR KNOCKING AS A PRIMARY SALES TACTIC DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. Integration of "2.0" type products into the portfolio take time to sell as the SMB world IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to embracing cloud based technology or trusting it to run their business. Those type of sales do not close overnight but management says they can. All you have to do is knock MORE DOORS. Allow sales folks to write off their miles spent driving in the field as opposed to offering $12.00 Per appointment run and then calling that figure 'Gas Reimbursement' It's actually called 'Phantom Revenue'. When my financial advisor found out about this he literally COULD NOT believe it and almost had me march straight to the HR department and demand they change how I was compensated. Because of the way Cbeyond compensated for gas/mileage, my advisor told me I COULD NOT legally write off my miles.

Great training program ... Toxic work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training program will benefit you in your future job. It was very helpful to have trained at this company. Actually seemed as if they tried to make the job enjoyable.

ConsWork-life balance is very low. Extremely micromanaged while selling an inferior product into a saturated market. Bogged down by terrible corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive outside reps more freedom

High expectations, terrible reputation.

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood benifits, and decent pay for experience. They do a good job a keeping a positive attitude within the office, so every day starts out on a positive note. Good training for getting into sales. If you want to build up a tough skin it's a good place to do it. Every sales job after this will seem easy.

ConsThey need to try really hard to keep everyone positive in the office because once you leave, reality will hit you hard. Happy customers are hard to find and there are plenty of unhappy ex customers.
    They tell you that they are making some big positive changes when they hire you, and that you are one of them, but you will find out that they hire and layoff sales people regularly and that they told that to the previous reps.
    They practice a common business tactic where they have massive layoffs in the fourth quarter to make sure their fourth quarter reports look better. If they are paying half the people then they arent loosing as much money.
    You'll find when you go to an account and they will tell you "I will never do business with Cbeyond again." When you try to tell them your changing they say that's what Cbeyond has always has said.. Some businesses actually have "No Cbeyond" signs on their doors. You have to toughen up quick or you'll be miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your really trying to change the company the actuall do it. Change your name. "Cbeyond" has a stigma. Some of my coworkers aren't even putting it on their resumes. Turn Cbeyond 2.0 into "INSERT NAME HERE" 1.0

Love working at Cbeyond. Love working with the people at Cbeyond.

Learning and Development Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsWork is fast-paced so you are never bored. People are great - they motivate me to get out of bed in the morning:) We have an amazing gym that is fully-managed. We are encouraged to use the gym during working hours, provided we make up the time away from our desks. Cbeyond has also awakened in me a desire to give back to the community by sponsoring days and weeks of service to encourage us "care relentlessly" about our communities.

ConsSometimes you have to work longer hours to maintain your sanity when project deadlines arise. It has been said that many times leaders are "building the plane as they are flying it." Sometimes we leap before we look to rush products to Sales.

Good company to work for

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat company to learn the industry and move around many different places to move to further Cisco knowledge.

ConsPoor customer service some middle management is needless and seem to only care about what helps them and no the end customer

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of bad middle management.

Returning Employee "The Grass Isnt Always Greener"

Tier II Tech Support (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsI am wanting to write a real review on Cbeyond as perceived from the employee who thought there was better than a company than one that promoted from within, recognized hard working employees, worked with you on your schedule, assisted in helping you reach your bonus potential, gave you all the tools to succeed and the list goes on.

I left to pursue a "job" at a very successful start up company. Benefits were fantastic, atmosphere was wonderful but it was missing the things that glue a business together. The ability to grow and learn was missing, the passion for the customer was missing, and the "team" environment was not there.The honest truth is the job is not always easy. Job posts sound appealing because that is what they are meant to do. I am grateful and blessed to return to a place that is going to allow me to complete the career that I started.

ConsMy honest cons were my own. I want to list what I complained about then explain. When in Tier 1 I did not like 30 min lunches. In Tier 1 and 2 I thought there should be more formal training. Honestly these werent real company issues. The 1st was a preference, and the 2nd was a fault of my own and many people. Training for work is no different than school. If you dont invest personal time, you will never grow. On the happy note though as I was in my final 2 weeks there was a lot more training available.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I had honest advise to give here. If anything I would have liked to discuss deeper with management what my complete future goals were and set realistic dates to try and achieve the goals. That is useful to motivate employees to achieve success.

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!