Cbeyond Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.2

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger
Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 24 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Stop the bleeding

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Cbeyond was recently bought out by a company that's driven by sales and cutting costs alone without repercussions in mind at a fast pace. This has jeopardized operational functionality and morale.

Take serious steps to identify the current demand for talent in order to keep key position holders from leaving the company.

Very frustrating experience in communication sales.

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential to make a fair amount of money if you can deal with selling things to people that they do not need. Sales rally atmosphere.

Cons

You have to be able to incessantly sell products that you may ormaynot believe in. Coldcalling. Walking your territory all day unsupported until you can trick someone into agreeing to see you then buy something.

Had great ideas but couldn't execute. Now Birch bought them.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Products like hosted VoIP, cloud services, MPLS, managed and professional services all sound good to the SMB customer. Most SMB's aren't used to getting all the options Cbeyond offered.

Cons

Horrible execution. Installs would take months. "Install" didn't mean it worked either. Operations team was brutal.

They sold to Birch who is doing what most acquisitions do....layoff good engineers and employees. The only good thing I can see is that the Cbeyond name is gone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I learned a lot, but it is a lot of busy work.

Former Employee - Process Excellence Co-op  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Process Excellence Co-op in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and days off, salary, company culture, you get to work a lot with other interns so it's a fun environment, my bosses wrote my recommendation letters when i left

Cons

Sometimes boring, very repetitive work, not a place you would work when you graduate

Good Sales Training but a Miserable Job and Company

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're right out of college and this is a first job, you may want to consider it. They offer a great sales training program. Use this job as a stepping stone to get the sales job you want. Young culture, weekly competitions, and spiffs. And they have a great advancement program, so if you work hard and do well you'll get promoted really quickly. And by quickly I mean within weeks.

Cons

There is nothing glamorous about this job. Every day you are out there beating the bushes knocking on door to door of local businesses. And here's the thing... the businesses/business owners hate you. Because you're interrupting their day and trying to sell them a product/service they do not want. That someone else has already tried to sell them 20 times. The gatekeepers usually know who you are the moment you walk in the door. The Management team has really unrealistic expectations of their sales reps. They require that you hit 50 doors (business) a DAY and if you run an appointment that counts as 10. So yeah... 50 cold calls a day. Lastly, I wasn't that impressed with their product/service offering so I didn't feel that good about what I was selling. I never felt like I was giving the business owners a valuable solution.

Treat your people like people. Not a number.

Great begginings but over 10 years company eventually got bought out and things fell apart

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

During the early years Cbyond was a great place to work at....if you applied yourself you would be sucessful. Great people to work with...easy to collaborate...friendly environment. Everybody was energised ready to work and get things done.

Cons

As time went on things started to change as company was not valued as they once was, investors were demanding changes to drive share price as such culture changed with new management coming in and eventually company got sold to a privately held telecommunciation services company.

Now Birch Telecommunications

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time

Pros

Opportunity to advance, great opportunities to work with latest hardware and software. Majority of employees enjoyed work and were great to work with.

Cons

The product offerings were too diverse which lead to large development hours on products that never sold. Sales never understood cloud products and most came through Individual Case Reviews. This also increase Operational costs as there was no repeatable model. New software solutions were poorly vetted prior to purchase and many need not meet needs. End result is decreasing revenue vs increased cost and we were bought.

Keep it simple, repeatable, profitable rather than guess, but its too late now.

Merger Hurting the culture

Current Employee - Program/Project Management  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Program/Project Management in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people who really care about staff and customers at the lower levels of the company

Cons

New management is disconnected from culture and making business changes that may drastically impact the customer

Be honest with staff about which groups are likely to be laid off because of redundancy so that we have a chance of retaining some of the critical people inside of the organization

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Cbeyond full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There was good access to modern VoIP equipment. The pay was competitive. Benefits were average.

Cons

Some people moved into management who clearly had no experience and/or were not cut out for it. This caused general dissatisfaction among the people reporting to those managers.

Promoting internally is generally a good idea, but only so long as those people possess the necessary skills. In some cases, it makes sense to look outside the company to fill those roles.

Solution Advisor

Current Employee - Solution Advisor  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Advisor in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cbeyond full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Management, Birch Merger could shake up some items
    Great Culture in the Sales Department
    I have and I had a lot of FUN here
    Great place to learn the ropes

Cons

Marketing Vision, Quota Target, and Sales Model need alignment
    Things are very uncertain at the moment with the Merger

Create a clear direction and make the goal attainable

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!