Center for Strategic and International Studies

Updated Apr 07, 2014

Center for Strategic and International Studies President John Hamre

John Hamre

Good Think Tank with Opportunities to rub shoulders with world leaders

Research Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

ProsOpportunities to run into and rub shoulders with some of the top government officials of the world. CSIS is a major influencer of government policy, and several of the top staff played key roles in either previous or current administrations.

ConsIt can be boring if you are not one of the senior staffers, and if you are in an inactive department with less funding. The key departments are the ones with lots of funding, e.g. the Energy department. In my own department, interns were mostly neglected to cater to themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct more collaborative sessions involving interns as well. Keep up the good work.

Internship

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern

ProsGreat way to learn about how think tanks work and non-profits work. Everyone is really nice and helpful and you get the opportunity to attend a lot of interesting events.

ConsGood internship experience but they take a lot of interns to basically fill full-time employee positions and if they take on too many interns, there can be a lot of sitting and waiting for assignments from your supervisors.

Prestigious Internship

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

Pros-lots of opportunities for interns to develop their skills, like Debate Clinics, brown bag lunches with the professionals at CSIS, and opportunities to meet with high level thinktank, government, NGO leaders during events
-my supervisor encouraged us to attend thinktank events around DC, so I went to quite a few every week and learned a lot about the different trends
-opportunities to publish in CSIS "New Perspectives" journal for young professionals
-great place to meet and interact with leading professionals in the field among CSIS staff!
-chance to conduct your own research
-CSIS is a top notch thinktank and well-known, so it looks great to have interned here

Cons-low stipend, but some departments don't pay interns at all, so it's good to be paid even if it's a small amount
-positions for research assistants/program assistants don't open up very frequently (at least when I was there). you need to have good timing.

Advice to Senior Management-pay interns more please :)

Range of projects, some boring and some more interesting

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Networking
-High profile organization
-Interesting projects to work on if you have an advanced degree

If you meet the right people, this can be a fruitful opportunity. Graduate students will get more use out of the experience than undergrads.

Cons-Work environment not very fun
-May not be doing substantive work
-No career opportunities after internship, unless you are lucky

Daily tasks range from the mundane to the more exciting. Be prepared to take lots of notes and have them read by no one, spending most of your day controlling social media, and the rest of your day doing small jobs for staff. No pay unless you receive a stipend.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure interns are not wasting their time.

Great internship.

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern

ProsReally smart people, great exposure and location

ConsCan get boring if your program isn't working on a project

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Informative and useful intern experience

Washington, DC (US)

ProsHands on time with top level executives from various backgrounds was great. CSIS is a convergence point for a lot of thought leaders in DC, and being part of that was amazing.

ConsWork assignments for interns could be intermittent. Sometimes I spent an hour or two waiting for a new task from my program director.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new building is great

The most fulfilling intern experience ever

Pros-flexible staff
-real project
-opportunity for published work

Cons-unpaid
-not particularly dynamic, mostly just research (though, to be expected with a think tank.)

Great jumping off point, but no long term prospects

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

ProsLearn a lot
Increase research abilities
Good for networking

ConsNo long term prospects
Depends what program you work for as to how much you'll enjoy it and learn

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is stretched thin and on the whole don't have time for junior staff

great internship

Washington, DC (US)

Prosinteresting work, get to work with really smart people

Consalmost no chance for advancement unless you are an accomplished academic or had a distinguished career in foreign affairs

Good place for an internship

Researcher (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat opportunity to see the thinktank community at work. Some departments/programs are more active than others depending on their director and funding. Generally respected everywhere and a lot of name recognition if you want to add it to your resume. Opportunity to go to a lot of interesting events not in your field of interest.

ConsNot a lot of jobs available. This place runs on the backs of free intern labor. It's part of the whole distorted DC job market where an abundance and demand for internships mean that very little hiring actually takes place.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Center for Strategic and International Studies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Center for Strategic and International Studies CEO John Hamre. All 38 reviews are posted anonymously by Center for Strategic and International Studies employees.