Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place to start a carrier and build your resume(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Not a bad place to work!

Technical Architect (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

ConsNone specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Engagement Leader (Current Employee) London, England

ProsRecognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

Advice to Senior Management* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

Cerner

Solutions Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

ConsI would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about the compensation scheme.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, shame about the money

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThere's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

ConsIn terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Advice to Senior ManagementReview compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

Excellent Organization

Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsOpportunity to work on Healthcare Domain and Cerner Millennium
    Excellent co workers
    Little to no Micro Management
    Lots of support of peers

ConsThey should make the existing consultants permanent than hiring freshers into the teams

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are sailing the boat safely, keep going.

Good environment, innovative work force.

Solution Designer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCerner is a great company to work for. Laid back environment delivering solid web applications

ConsLow salary with little room to increase pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clients with realistic release dates as to not over work employees. Other than that, keep up the good work.

Great Company Coming out of College

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCompany hires a ton of college graduates at a good starting salary. They provide a lot of training and flexible working hours. Cerner has great campus that include on site gym, clinical, pharmacy, and cafeteria.

ConsOnce you have some Cerner knowledge expect to work at between 45-50 hours a week. Don't be surprise if you work 60 hours a week depending on what client you have. The pay raises you get barely go over the rate of inflation. After two years of working here you can usually find a job that pays 10k-20k more.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to hire more System Engineers in kansas city to balance the work load. Instead of giving the pay increase to the incoming System Engineers they should give it to existing System Engineers so they will stay.

Love this company!

Learning Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsAdvancement opportunity, career movement, training, benefits, fitness centers, onsite clinic and pharmarcy

ConsProject team communication - I frequently hear of key team members being left/forgotten of project meeting updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ensuring project teams are pulled together through all phases of a project.

Great chance to learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCerner is a dynamic company with many different things going on at once. Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study.

ConsDepending on the solution they place you with, you could be doing a LOT more travel than they tell you. The job frequently has obligations outside of the work day.

Great Opportunity for a Student and Intern

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

ProsI worked at Cerner as an Software Engineer Intern while obtaining my Master's Degree in Computer Science. My experience will vary from other interns' that were located in Kansas City. I was located in Columbia, MO working for a collaboration between Cerner and the University of Missouri hospital system called the Tiger Institute. I had a great experience here, bolstered by the small team size (around 10) and great management. The time from development to deployment was fantastic. Because of the collaborative environment, the feedback system from the deployment to the hospital was about as real-time as you can get. As far as marketable experience goes, I learned to use a few different technologies, mostly in web development. I also learned how to thrive in an agile environment, which many software development companies look for. And I can't say enough about the direct management, very helpful and guiding. This also applies to other software developers on the team. I did not feel like an intern after I learned the ropes. Overall, as an intern, I had a very valuable experience.

One caveat you may read in other reviews is that Cerner works you to the bone and spits you out. In this fast-paced market, this is common. However, in my experience, most of the team worked the usual 8-5, with rare occurrences of overtime, except when a golive was about to happen.

ConsThere weren't many cons that I can think of. I think not being able to identify pitfalls stems from being an intern. I was very surprised at the amount of movement within the team. Software developers transitioned to project managers. Project managers to software architects. Software developers to software developer leads. Software developers to software architects (not as rare). Given the size of the team, this was very surprising to me. Keep in mind that I was only an intern for less than two years. Therefore, one con I can identify was the difficulty of establishing a team dynamic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved the team. As noted in the "Cons" section of my review, it would have been helpful to establish a more concrete team dynamic and limit the amount of movement from position to position.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!