Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Not a bad place to work!

Technical Architect (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

ConsNone specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

Cerner

Solutions Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThe environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

ConsI would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about the compensation scheme.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Engagement Leader (Current Employee) London, England

ProsRecognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

Advice to Senior Management* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, shame about the money

Technology Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThere's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

ConsIn terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Advice to Senior ManagementReview compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

Great experience

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth and opportunities for advancement.

ConsIn a high travel role, work life balance can be difficult

delivery consultant

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat company that's taking advantage of a growing Industry. You can change positions after 18 months.

Everybody is young, smart and good looking (if you're a DC).

Typically, you can work remotely after a year and a half or 2.

ConsYou have to move to Kansa City. Kansas City is not that cool. When you get hired, you have no idea where you will end up. It's luck of the draw.

It's hard to go out and meet people that aren't Cerner employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of you seem cool. Some of you don't. I do'nt work with management much.

good place to work

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

Prosco-workers are very friendly

Consa lot of work every dsy

Excellent Organization

Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsOpportunity to work on Healthcare Domain and Cerner Millennium
    Excellent co workers
    Little to no Micro Management
    Lots of support of peers

ConsThey should make the existing consultants permanent than hiring freshers into the teams

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are sailing the boat safely, keep going.

It's All About Your Team

Software Engineering Intern II (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThe team I was on was great. We went out to eat every Friday and they were very flexible on hours. From what I have experienced, my team members would work around 45 hour weeks on average. Some of the team would only work the normal 40 though. Overall I enjoyed my work and my environment, especially the in-house clinic and gym.

ConsStarting out it may seem a bit like you have no say on a project. Some engineers are not very concerned with modern programming practice or design and it can become a bit disheartening.

Good environment, innovative work force.

Solution Designer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCerner is a great company to work for. Laid back environment delivering solid web applications

ConsLow salary with little room to increase pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clients with realistic release dates as to not over work employees. Other than that, keep up the good work.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!