Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Room for growth but will make you work for it.

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGood company for young people wanting to travel

ConsSometimes very long hours when on site

Development in achieving your goals personally and for the company

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement team understands the desire for movement within the company and will work with you to develop further and be prepared.

ConsBiggest challenge is learning by doing is the best way to advance in your career. Too many are eager to move up quick.

Cerner is growing big!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsCool technologies.
Talented employees.
Good benefits.
On site clinic and pharmacy.

ConsShuttle to parking lot.
Health insurance premium is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Love & Hate Relationship

I have been working at Cerner for less than a year

ProsI love my team and the work we do together - pair programming, code reviews, etc. It's been a very enlightening and rewarding experience.

It's an open forum: if you don't like something, it's pretty easy to talk to your team lead or even knock on the leadership door.

ConsThey are very corporate feel. My particular project doesn't feel like the cube-farm you usually get with a corporate feel, but to get anything done outside of your story requires a lot of leadership.

Compensation is OK, great for those coming right out of undergrad and getting trained here, but coming in as a well-experienced engineer and placed in the same "boat" as the undergrads in terms of salary is a bit of a insult.

Your team can make or break your experience here.

Work-Life balance can be difficult. Cerner still expects you to work overtime even if they don't promote it. They offer no compensation for the hours you work overtime even though it's expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making *every* team a pleasure to work with.

Decent place to start, not a place to stick around

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros- They will hire you with no experience
- There are some good people who work there
- You will learn a fair amount, mostly about Cerner products

Cons- Underpaid
- Overworked
- Undervalued

Basically, you are sacrificed for the good of the company. They invest relatively little in their knowledge infrastructure, training, or general business policies and procedures. The result is an unpleasant work experience that leads to their extremely poor employee retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are also victims of larger policies within the company, so I would tell managers to hold out for something better. Now, if I were talking to executives or those who can actually make decisions, I would tell them to adopt a longer view. Employees are assets, but more to the point, they are a liability. Devaluing and hemorrhaging your employees will erode your company more than losing that extra few million saved by not investing in training, better knowledge repositories, maybe a couple more employees to balance workload. You have a self-identified retention problem. Do something about it.

No Work Life Balance

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros-Good technologies to learn
-Top of the tier to work in Kansas City

Work depends greatly on the team, I was with nursing dept. It was good but the pay is really low. Also if you tell them you are quitting for more money , they will hate you (Upper management).

Cons-No work life balance at all
-Nerdsville
-Have to kiss ass to go up the chain

Advice to Senior ManagementDont hate appreciate, and pay better. Cerner is making billions but employees are not.

Great if you love the work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunities in a lot of different areas

ConsWork-life balance is not a priority for management.

Better than most I've worked for

Senior Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat experience, resources, and opportunities to expand your knowledge. "Knowledge Transfers" as they call them are emphasized across the organization. Internal Hiring is frequent and well-known internally as an opportunity for advancement. From my experience, this is not the "sweat shop" it is made out to be. I work less hours than my IT counterparts from college (possibly to my detriment, see cons).

Though I do have my reservations about the social aspects, the company is incredibly solid and I stand behind its products and its continued innovations. Neil Patterson, despite his occasional outbursts, is an incredibly effective leader. The more I get to know about who he is and what he has done, the more I respect him. He is incredibly frank, and I respect that. Any CEO with guts is someone worth working for.

ConsPromotions are not so much based on skill but on social ability. If you've taken the DiSC assessment, "I" personalities are emphasized here. Social butterflies excel quickly to management positions regardless of area (technical or not). If you're good in a technical role and get your job done and then some, you're asked why you aren't helping other people more. This is even when you're already completing significantly more work than anyone else. I've seen people promoted that cannot even complete their own work - their work has deteriorated to incredible depths, and they have helped people regardless. So really your job is based on helping others when you can't even help yourself.

From a productivity standpoint it doesn't make a whole lot of sense - why would you dive into a new situation and waste time figuring out what's going on when you could do your own work in a shorter amount of time? Would customer satisfaction not go up if you emphasized the completions of the work you have? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and never will. If you promote the people that never did their own jobs in the first place, the people that work for them that do complete their work will not get rewarded properly. The cycle continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward efficiency and getting your work done in shorter periods of time. Quality over quantity. Right now it seems like the people that work the most hours get rewarded the most, not the people that get more done in shorter periods of time. In summary: working hard is rewarded over working intelligently.

Very Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsLots of exposure to the technology.

ConsI dont have any such thing to tell during my period

Advice to Senior ManagementNo as such

Great Start to a Career

Software Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros- Location, KC is great!
- On campus clinic
- Benefits are pretty good
- Lots to learn
- New and emerging technology
- Great sense of accomplishment

Cons- Low Pay as compared to working directly with clients (hospitals)
- I would argue the metrics system used to track employee performance could be tuned better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Although leaving Cerner was not an easy decision, i found that i could do that same work at a Hospital and get paid much more generously. Thus, I view Cerner as a training facility... you pay your dues there and then find a job elsewhere with your newly acquired skills.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.