Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Business Apprentice

Business Apprentice (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsEligible for all the benefits as a full time associate, 401k, stocks, gym membership. I could not think of a better way to get your foot in the door with an incredibly successful company. As of 6.6.14 I have been with the company 2 years and can't think of any place I'd rather be.

ConsHit or miss with management. Some apprentices get great roles with up and coming and developed teams doing real work, others get stuck literally ordering coffee and doing the grunt intern work. Inconsistency!

Cerner is a growing company with many opportunities for the career-minded

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCasual atmosphere, and fast-paced environment

Consannual reviews and compensation can be a point of disappointment for many associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you market Cerner as a "pay for performance" company then it should be that. I would also like to see more part time or work from home opportunities.

Great Company

Software Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsLots of opportunities for growth, new challenges, reasonable hours and you're in charge of your own growth. There's no limit to the technology that you'll get to use. Great culture.

ConsI really don't have any - I love what I do, and my team is great.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits, work life balance, good company to start your career.

ConsFood is bad, Selection process needs improvement.

Great company, remember you have a life outside work

Engagement Leader (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCerner provides a lot of career growth and training/learning opportunities. Leadership encourages associates to keep moving forward and own their careers. The mission of the company is one to believe in, and our products and services are ever improving.

The benefits are fantastic, and the healthy (or Healthe) culture is also hard to beat. There are three gyms in the Kansas City area, many fitness classes, several tools available for tracking your lifestyle, and also an understanding that sometimes people take a break during the day to work out.

ConsThe encouragement (and competition) to keep achieving tends to push people (especially Type A personalities like myself) to their limits. High pressure can be a good thing, and sometimes you have to work a little longer to get things done. However, the constant pressure associates put on themselves to reach the corporate goals often leads to burnout in a short amount of time. There are some policies in place to encourage working over 40 hours a week, however there is no corporate incentive to work 60+ hours which is what tends to happen in some organizations. I don't think this is the fault of the company though; I believe it is more of a cultural problem due to us seeing our co-workers putting in 65 hours a week and feeling like we aren't trying hard enough. (Therefore, we feel we, too, need to put in 60+ hours.)

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your associates to work more efficiently and remind them to have a life outside work. There are so many talented associates that work at the company, and they need to be reminded that it's okay to leave work before 6 and leave their laptops off all night.

Lots of opportunity

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThere are so many professional opportunities. The office culture is positive. You gain a ton of valueable consulting experience.

ConsWork life balance. If you work 40 hours a week, you're an under-acheiver. I also don't like that there are very few minorities in leadership and management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore formal training and more competitive compensation

Not place to work for Engineers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsNothing good to say. Few colleagues were good.

ConsThe management has lot of politics and HR is horrible.
    The project are 30 years old. Used old technology and proprietary tools used no exposure for new technology
    The work is only fixing bugs and testing no progress in technical area.
    Work pressure is very high. no learning, No training on any technology and KT
     Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all.
    Important thing is, the CTC will be high, but take home will be very less. So advise is ask for better gross income.

Advice to Senior ManagementEgoistic Management should Value associates.

EASY HIRE EASY FIRE

Velocity Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsLocation. Since its in Missouri you spend less on housing, grocery, gas etc. You save more portion of your salary

ConsCerner needs to work on their work ethics. They implement EASY HIRE EASY FIRE rule. The DevCenter training which they have, they test the new employees over there. And for small mistakes they make up a reason to fire them. Otherwise they might say you are not fit for development go for Client Support position. They interview there new employees after joining the company instead of doing it during the interview period. This is a very big issue for international students who would be joining the company if they dont have any job security. Currently I have heard they now inform the new employees before interviewing about the procedure of their devcenter.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of working on your products, spend some time improving the work ethics and values.

Test analyst

ProsNo micro management
    Very friendly environment

ConsNo cons i can think of right now

Welcome to Corporate America

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat training entry into HCIT
    Don't need a lot of experience, hire straight from undergrad
    Only reason I stayed is because I was in a rotational program and got another degree in the process

ConsHire straight from undergrad so experienced people are not valued and they are threatened by knowledge
    Very good ole boy system
    Biased country mid-west values is the culture of the company. Took awhile to stop giving BBQ to the global and Indian associates at the company though they claimed to be a 'global' company.
    Can NOT leave KCMO even if you tried and that place is not great for 20somethings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter because they will not take it. Why change anything unless it impacts their bottom line and pockets in particular.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!