Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The change of jobs every 18 months means often leadership lack experience in the space they lead.

I have been working at Cerner full-time

ProsSome great high energy co-workers. If you are a young professional good opportunities, just be prepared to work very long hours and often being treated less than respectfully.

ConsMy experience is that while the organization feels they are the best they over promise to clients. Leadership don't like to address or often admit when there are problems. There are mixed messages to teams regularly leaving them without clarity in direction. I am certain there are exceptions to this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best thing the leadership team could do is to provide stable Execs so the teams have mature, experienced leaders to consult with and address problems in leaders promptly.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good resume builder

I worked at Cerner

ProsExcellent company to work for looks great on your resume! Definitely a good start to get your foot in the door

ConsUnderstaffed, underpaid, too many responsibilities, inconsiderate management staff when it comes to employee safety. Hard to grow within the company.

Technical consultant

Technology Consultant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI had excellent, communicative managers, productive teams, process oriented organization and good work life balance. Cerner is a good company to work for.

ConsOverall less opportunities for contractors and the contracts are for shorter periods.

There are teams at Cerner for any technology that you are interested in. I got the best I wanted.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome place to start your career with. Easily makes you a strong design-oriented developer from a fresh-out-of-school programmer.

ConsLow flexibility in terms of office locations. You are strongly bound to the same city because all the campuses are located inside kansas ciity..

Great people.

I have been working at Cerner

ProsThey have an organized training program that helps you to go through the company process and it would give any person an idea on how things are done.

ConsI would recommend individuals the choice to pick teams in the beginning of the career rather than the other way around.

Front End System Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Company to work for.

ConsI don't have any cons.

Pleasant, informative, exciting.

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsYou had a lot of autonomy. Not a lot of micromanagement. At least on my team I was free to take care of my tasks and responsibilities and my manager and team members were there to help when I had questions or couldn't come up with a solution on my own.

ConsCertain time periods required a large amount of overtime, even reaching 60-70 hours a week, while no added benefits or compensation was provided over other employees who were not working the intense overtime hours.

Really excited to continue my career here

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat Benefits, good pay, great co workers, successful stock, World Head Quarters in my home town, global company with the oppurtunity to travel to new places, and the flexability to work from home at times.

ConsIt's a very large company which can be overwhelming at times, It's hard to explain to others what i do, and most of our clients require some travel to visit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful not to overlook post graduate education or overvalue 10+ years within the same company. New ideas or experience can be helpful

Exciting and educating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
North Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsThe salary is great and there are great health incentives.

ConsSome associates and management in my former role at Cerner.

Great place for a new college grad!

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, I genuinely enjoy working with everyone on my team! If you are smart and hard working it should be a good place to advance your career.

ConsIt's a lot of work and things come at you from every direction.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 505 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.