Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work. You can learn new things.

ConsToo much process need to streamline.

A great company, with good benefits, but long hours

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsCutting edge healthcare IT
Good benefits
International travel

ConsLong hours
High expectations
Can involve a lot of travel (over 50%)

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunications

If you are prepared to completely immerse yourself in your job then you will have a good chance of success.

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to grow your career in the direction of your choice with the company's support, and to work in many countries.

ConsLong hours are expected, global salaries are not competitive, very political environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe world does not revolve around Kansas City, until you lose the 'us and them' mentality for your global business you will continue to harbor resentment in your international employees.

Great building block, but limited in upward mobility

Technology Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGood place to learn and grow. Access to multiple clients and sites to build soft skills and network. Opportunity to travel globally. Leader in the industry. Laid back work atmosphere.

ConsLong hours are expected rather than appreciated. No initiative to keep talent long term. Main focus on repeatability and assembly line type processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate talent inside the organization and competitively compensate individuals that perform and demonstrate leadership abilities. Trim the fat when/where appropriate.

Good experience, no work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsGood first job but dont stay too long
Good client exposure

ConsAs SDC you are a data monkey
No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as people

Working at Cerner

ProsNice offices
Multi cultural environment
Access to the latest technologies

ConsThe use of pay by performance "culture" which is misleading as after getting excellent reviews most people gets dissapointed when they received their compensation reviews which result in poor levels of attrition of talented people.
Expectations to work ulimited overtime with no or very little compensation for that work effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo review the pay by performace approach including objectives criteria to allow people to know exactly what will be the rewards once expected performance is delivered.

Not a bad place to work!

Technical Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

ConsNone specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Engagement Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsRecognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

Advice to Senior Management* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

Cerner

Solutions Delivery Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsThe environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

ConsI would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about the compensation scheme.

Great people, shame about the money

Technology Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner

ProsThere's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

ConsIn terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Advice to Senior ManagementReview compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.