www.cerner.com

Updated 20 November 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work!

Current Employee - Technical Architect
    Current Employee - Technical Architect

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

Cons

None specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Need to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Current Employee - Engagement Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Leader in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Recognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons

1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant in London, England

I worked at Cerner

Pros

The environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

Cons

I would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Be more transparent about the compensation scheme.

Great people, shame about the money

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

There's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

Cons

In terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Review compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

KCIT Apprentice

Current Employee - KCIT Apprentice in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - KCIT Apprentice in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It has been a learning process here, everyone here is laid back and easy to work with. I couldn't be happier with this company.

Cons

I don't see any cons with this company thus far.

Everything they are doing is working great.

Engagement Controller

Former Employee - Engagement Controller in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Engagement Controller in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You're on your own schedule (assuming you don't schedule any meetings). Great experience with project management: financial aspect (great learning experience), event planning, administrative tasks, a lot of networking within the company and also with external clients. The team is great! Management encouraged us to develop which ever skills we wanted to help us grow in our career. If ever I needed help, all I had to do was ask. The chance to travel: I got to go abroad and to many places with in the US! Great company!! Work hard and you will be recognized. Easy to get promoted. Only reason I left was because my boyfriend was relocated and I couldn't work remotely.

Cons

It got a bit administrative at times: granting access, taking notes during meetings, etc. but it was good to get the experience. Some projects are very large and can be very demanding. Nothing a good attitude and communication can't fix.

Keep up the good work!!

Great Company with tons of growth potential

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High impact and exciting Work, amazing gym, fun corporate events.

Cons

high deductible insurance plan, very strict annual raise guidelines which means only one person per year on your team can get a 'good' review and a decent raise.

More flexibility in annual performance review ratings.

Good place to learn

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good place to learn.

Cons

Have come up with any.

Tech Environment

Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

it benefit your career which will extend your career opportunities.

Cons

can have long hours to work and to move between different roles.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Pros or Cons, depends on the team. I am ended up in a good team and I am loving it. Working with talented and selfless people is always fun!

Cons

Don't see much. Things worked well with me!