Cerner Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work!

Current Employee - Technical Architect
    Current Employee - Technical Architect

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

Cons

None specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Need to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Current Employee - Engagement Leader  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Leader in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Recognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons

1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

Cerner

Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant in London, England

I worked at Cerner

Pros

The environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

Cons

I would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Be more transparent about the compensation scheme.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, shame about the money

Current Employee - Technology Consultant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

There's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

Cons

In terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Review compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Great

I worked at Cerner for less than a year

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!