www.cerner.com

Updated 15 December 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work!

Current Employee - Technical Architect
    Current Employee - Technical Architect

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great Training and support for employees to grow their knowledge.

Cons

None specifically - general frustration with staffing levels and recruitment approaches

Need to work lower down heirachy to understand stresses and strains of teams.

As an experienced hire - know your worth & be sure to negotiate suitable salary on entry

Current Employee - Engagement Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Leader in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Recognition of hard work and abilities by providing opportunities to develop & grow, by progressing/moving into senior roles (however this is often for min 1 year min for no additional pay)

Cons

1) 'Pay for Performance' concept is not always delivered as deserved at annual review 2) Empty promises to staff 3) Giving staff "opportunities" to grow often lead to staff being taken advantage of and not being compensated for more than 1 + year, regardless of being fully competent and performing in the role (Note & beware - annual reviews & increases occur in SEPT/OCT, rather than usual Jan or April!)

* Stop giving empty promises, it creates an untrusting environment. * Reward commitment & hardwork with earned & deserved 'pay for performance' incentives. * Employees are people, not numbers - ASK them first how they feel about moving projects, dont just assume its OK. Remember we want happy, satisfied staff

Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Solutions Delivery Consultant in London, England

I worked at Cerner

Pros

The environment, it's a fast paced structure where promotion is possible from within for anybody, the reward of your hard work is not always recognized but it's a great feeling to be part of the healthcare revolution.

Cons

I would say that the main downside of working at Cerner is the compensation policy and transparency.

Be more transparent about the compensation scheme.

Great people, shame about the money

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

There's a good atmosphere at Cerner. You get to work with a lot of great technologies, really see them applied in hospitals and get to meet clinical staff. In the UK, the atmosphere is relaxed and the focus is all on 'the project' - there's no petty politics like i've seen in some of my former jobs - team work does happen and it's great to be a part of. The people are friendly and sociable and the work is interesting.

It terms of career progression, it's good. If you are good at your job, you'll see promotions fairly quickly. Management are keen to identify good talent.

There is also a large emphasis on the initial training stages.

Cons

In terms of London - the compensation package is not adequate. I have known many colleagues leave after 18 months to move onto much higher salaries.

I have seen a complete disregard for work-life balance. There are many work-aholics who think nothing of working late or over a weekend. There are no general policies for on-call (unless you are in particular support teams) and no 'days in lieu' policies.

In terms of being a technologist - the core database scripting language is proprietary and no use if you move outside of Cerner hospital systems

Review compensation packages.. Graduates in London can do a lot better and realise it. Put 'time in lieu' and on call policies in place.

Good experience but not my favorite work

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, lots of young employees, friendly, fun enviornment

Cons

Boring work, not exciting, not a field I was interested in

Improved training is an opportunity

Great company. Lots of perks.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

-Fun culture
    -Great benefits
    -Many opportunities to make a difference
    -Visionary leadership
    -Strong performing company

Cons

-Corporate bureaucracy
    -Takes a lot of time and people to get things done

Great company, great benefits, long hours

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Lots of room to move around
    The company tries to place you and, if they can't, will put you in a related role to keep you employed
    Great benefits

Cons

Some of the teams can be challenging
    The hours can be long

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer In Emerging Technologies in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are very knowledgeable and have assisted my growth in the company quickly. I actually love my job here. The on-site Cafe is amazing, they have real chefs creating delicious menus to order from. The benefits so far have been amazing. The on-site gyms have me working out regularly. The staff keep the entire place clean and they are friendly. There is always internal-training going on that you can sign up for to expand your knowledge. My experience with managers have been great. If you have something going on at home like a appliance installation you can work home from the day. It feels like a very productive and relaxed environment. If you come in early you can leave early. I work anywhere from 8-10 hours a day but it doesn't feel like a long day. If your working a 10 or 10+ hour day you usually have to get something done and are excited to do it.

I have only been here for about 4 months and I already feel like a valued member of the team.

Cons

The trainer I had left the company shortly after I started working for a better opportunity, so my training was minimal. This did not become an issues as there were other members on my team that I could get information from.

Keep up what your currently doing

Great place

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company is growing fast and hiring alot of new people.
    Culture is very friendly and relaxed.
    They are very helpful and want you to learn alot and have fun doing it

Cons

Not a whole lot of downside. Rellocation needed, by KCMO is a great place with plenty to do.
    They push you to work hard and and find work you are interested in

Great job with your recruiting process, definitely made me want to come work for Cerner and live in KCMO

Analyst

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary

Cons

lots of travel in some roles