Cerner Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
873 reviews filtered by

1. Good Experience

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

One of the best companies in healthcare industry

Cons

Much of maintenance work..
    Not very good for freshers

2. Great Company to work for

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good and Exciting work happens here

Cons

The pay is very less and it can be more

3. Great company to work for.

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for overall. Great Benefits. Lots to learn.

Cons

Salary is on the lower side of industry standard.

5. Good Company

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Competitive salary, benefits, wellness programs

Cons

Communication, mixed messages from leadership

2 years and bust

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

easy transition from college. I'm not really a big fan of kansas city, so Pros isn't my favorite category to fill out. . . .

Cons

Not a good place to be long-term though. Too many mid-westerners that couldn't get jobs at others companies if they tried. . . .

Advice to Management

Promote based on achievement and not based on who's been there the longest. The worst people are the ones who don't leave. They stay the longest and therefore get promoted. You need to clean house a bit.

7. Very organized

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner

Pros

The compensation is great compared to similar positions

Cons

Work hours, balance life / work

Advice to Management

Nothing

Not bad for a job out of college, but ultimately unsatisfying compared to other tech jobs

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Cerner hires a ton of people fresh out of college and compensates them fairly well for a Midwestern city. Their internship program is great- they pay you a decent hourly wage and provide you free housing in a trendy part of the city.

The engineering campus has a casual dress code and I've found the environment to overall be very laid back. Managers and subordinates usually get along well with a decent amount of water-cooler banter and team interaction. From my experience and that of friends at the company, micromanagement is rare and bosses generally give you leeway to complete projects as you see fit.

Your experience at Cerner varies greatly based on your team. Unfortunately that is true for many tech companies. On my team, people work 40-45hrs/week, with the exception of the occasional hard deadline. I've heard horror stories about teams that require 60+hrs/week every week (not really legal, but oh well it happens). But Cerner is trying to cut down on that, especially due to the crazy turnover it creates (average employment is <2 years here).

The company is growing quickly, so if you stick around for a while (and the growth continues), you should expect to find yourself in a management role at some point.

Also, the company has quite a reputation in town. Not sure if it matters to anyone, but saying you work at Cerner will occasionally elicit a positive response or even a corporate discount at certain stores.

Cons

In terms of the Midwest and the poor economy college grads face, Cerner compensation is fairly good. But in terms of the market for software engineers and the tech sector, it is really lacking. Salary & bonus appears good when you start, but raises seem to be minuscule and not really correlated to performance (look up Stack Rank for more info). Stock options are virtually nonexistent- there is a stock purchase program which involves giving up part of your salary in exchange for stock on a regular basis... no thanks. 401k match is not that great. Health & dental plans are good, but the company-run free clinics (a much touted corporate perk) are overcrowded and it may take weeks to see a doctor if you go there.

As I said before, the average length of employment is <2 years. There is a massive amount of brain drain and important engineers are hardly ever paid what they're worth, so they leave.

Many teams still use some really outdated development methods and Agile has not been implemented well. Not to mention really dated legacy code (CCL) that nobody wants to work with. In terms of outdated processes, prepare for design documents and lots of otherwise pointless paperwork that you have to cut through to make the simplest of changes.

Prepare for hostility if you have to reach across teams for help with a project. Your team usually has your back, but if you have to start asking random people for help (even if they're the designated point of contact for a piece of code), they might make things difficult for you. This seems common in the corporate world, but it is really awful to deal with.

Cerner's CEO is famous for his hostility to employees and crack-the-whip persona (look up Cerner Pizza Email). Now his legacy includes mandatory timesheets and a company-wide unwritten 48hr/week minimum work commitment. I've been told that this rule isn't enforced anymore, but I've also heard that you won't get promotions unless you follow it. Things like this just breed resentment and decrease morale among employees.

The software engineer training program is terrible! It's basically a weed-out recruiting process for new employees, even after you've signed an employment contract and expect to be working there at least 2 years. Mentors vary from good to horrible, and getting stuck on a bad project with a bad mentor can mean the difference between early graduation so you can join a real team and being fired.

Mentorship when you start out is so-so, but it kind of varies by team. It seems like some team managers are very hands-on, helping out newbies on a one-on-one basis, whereas some teams take a sink-or-swim mentality. You may find yourself figuring a lot of things or your own or hopefully getting a sympathetic engineer to walk you through everything.

And finally, a small gripe, but there is a pre-employment drug screen and they threaten random drug tests in the agreement you sign (although I've never heard of that happening). It would be understandable for a medical professional perhaps, but it is a little bit strange for software engineers, considering that marijuana is legal in a neighboring state and this is a software company.

Advice to Management

- Boost compensation! Profits are at an all-time high, there's no question that this is a commitment that needs to be made. Product quality suffers with such high turnover. Higher salaries and real stock options would go a long way.
    - Address culture problems. Sometimes teams are a little too protective of their code and unwilling to work with others when it is required. This friction slows everything down.
    - Nix the software engineer training program! If you are trying to weed out bad engineers, you should firstly improve your recruiting methods.
    - Get rid of mandatory minimum time commitments and stop treating your engineers like children. Forcing people to sit at their desk an extra hour or two a day doesn't result in better software.

9. More of a functional company .. developers stay away!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are some important pros as well :
    - Nice infrastructure + Manyata techpark is a better place (less traffic than ITPL or Marathalli)
    - No Micromanagement.
    - Process oriented , you get used to the process which is very important for us (indians) to learn.
    - Healthcare domain will add value to your resume.
    - company is reputed and rich.

Cons

- you will forget that you were/are a coder.
    - the architects or the ones above them has no clue on the technology. And please stop treating developers as just "resources".
    - you get trained on stuff which is of no use and finally end up working on the useless.
    - India office employees are just name sake cerner associates.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on india management. promote the deserving ones.
    Please use the indian associates to add value , we are not here to support and clean junk!

10. The leader in Medical Technology

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Cerner cares about the associate and goes above and beyond to be the employer of choice

Cons

Lots of work, but if you are dedicated you can grow in the company and be here for years.

The belt is tightening every day.

Current Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good first job out of school

Cons

Terrible compensation compared to industry standards. Stay for 2 years and then go get the money you deserve.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting benefits to the lifeblood of your operation.