Cerner Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 71 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Very frustrating place for experienced people

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not a very bad place to work in for the first couple of years right out of college.

Cons

Very bureaucratic.

Very rigid and inflexible in their thinking.

Entirely devoted to the idea, "work *harder*, not smarter."

Their concept of work-life balance is : life is work and work is life, balance is meaningless.

There is a personality cult of the CEO within the company.

Frequent mandatory meetings lasting up to 3 hours where hundreds of employees are packed into a small auditorium and made to listen and applaud to managers and executives drone on and on, supposedly to build morale.

Management not only tells you what to do but also tells you what to think and what views and opinions to have in your mind.

The overall experience at this company felt like being in some sort of a cult.

Very frustrating to work here for people with prior experience, as this company believes wholeheartedly in making the mistakes you would have already learned to avoid.

It is pointless to give any advice to the management as they are very set in their ways.

Good "right out of college" company, long-term is a deadend.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are right out of college and need to learn the ropes, it's a great company for that. Not so great for experienced employees because the salary range is way low.

Cons

All I had an issue with is salary. I was led to believe that even though the salary was low, they would make it up to me on bonus, but that turned out to be an outright lie. Bonus was worthless. $500 max per quarter does not constitute a bonus, more like an insult.

If you want experience people, you'll have to pay, otherwise continue with entry-level.

Theres 2 sides to the company.

Current Employee - Production Owner in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Production Owner in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experiance, great place to learn. Amazing place to work right out of college. They will train you very well, you will know how do to a million things.

Health benefits, and Stock purchase plan, are amazing.

Cons

First day you will get told about the REQUIRED 10% overtime.

"Here's the thing <NAME>, you arent required to work the over time, unless you want to make raises. Sure you can work only 40 hours we allow it. However you wont get raises and you will get poor reviews" I was told this my first day, during a tour of the building by my then manager. The "parking lot metric" is essentially still in effect. Google 'parking lot letter Cerner' and read the letter. You will understand what I mean.

Don't take promotions. You may not get the promised raise. Even if you do, it may be up to a year to get it. They only give raises once a year, no matter what happens. Get a promotion in January? You don't get a raise for it until September, October, or November. If you do at all. Ive take 2 promotions, (one level bump, and one title change) was promised a raise with both, received neither.

Management will not hold the clients to the contracts. Clients know this and walk all over engineers and production owners. Management doesnt care what hours, associates have to work, or really what happens as long as the client is happy. There are "standards" and clients can choose when they apply.

Don't promises raises for promotions and not give the raise.

Get rid of the "required over time"

Back up your production owners and system engineers. When a client starts requiring after hour work for non-production domains, that's crazy. When clients start insulting engineers, and belittling them, back up your employees. Don't ignore them for the sake of a happy client, that just undermines them, and makes the client respect them even less.

Software engineer

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

No dress code, and good dev

Cons

no idea about the in hand salary as a fresher

Great

I worked at Cerner (less than an year)

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.