Cerner

Updated 25 January 2015
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for new graduate

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Good place for new graduate. Learn the standard, process and tools of industry.
    2. Colleagues are friendly and helpful, easy to work with, some of them are talented.
    3. Working environment and culture is good, at least my team is good. But it is really a team based experience. There are people complaining about their team.
    4. The company is continue growing in a good and steady pace which leads to good job security.

Cons

1. Benefits and perks are poor. As a health care IT company, the health insurance should be much better than current.
    2. Compensation in general is low even compared to Sprint in the same area.
    3. Career opportunities is kind of limited. They have unwritten policy about how many years you've to work for each level promotion unless you are really exceptional talented!!!!

Pump the compensation in general, provide more opportunities.

Executive

Former Employee - Operations Executive in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Executive in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner

Pros

This is a large company where +80% of employees are hired out of college and "groomed" culturally to perform to the expectations created by a relatively small number of corporate officers

Cons

A couple givens: Management's way or the highway. No deviation from what Neal says. Duck and try to stay alive and relevant.

Retire Neal. Listen to clients. Arrogance is not an option

Great company. Lots of perks.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

-Fun culture
    -Great benefits
    -Many opportunities to make a difference
    -Visionary leadership
    -Strong performing company

Cons

-Corporate bureaucracy
    -Takes a lot of time and people to get things done

Great company, great benefits, long hours

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Lots of room to move around
    The company tries to place you and, if they can't, will put you in a related role to keep you employed
    Great benefits

Cons

Some of the teams can be challenging
    The hours can be long

Good experience but not my favorite work

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, lots of young employees, friendly, fun enviornment

Cons

Boring work, not exciting, not a field I was interested in

Improved training is an opportunity

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer In Emerging Technologies in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are very knowledgeable and have assisted my growth in the company quickly. I actually love my job here. The on-site Cafe is amazing, they have real chefs creating delicious menus to order from. The benefits so far have been amazing. The on-site gyms have me working out regularly. The staff keep the entire place clean and they are friendly. There is always internal-training going on that you can sign up for to expand your knowledge. My experience with managers have been great. If you have something going on at home like a appliance installation you can work home from the day. It feels like a very productive and relaxed environment. If you come in early you can leave early. I work anywhere from 8-10 hours a day but it doesn't feel like a long day. If your working a 10 or 10+ hour day you usually have to get something done and are excited to do it.

I have only been here for about 4 months and I already feel like a valued member of the team.

Cons

The trainer I had left the company shortly after I started working for a better opportunity, so my training was minimal. This did not become an issues as there were other members on my team that I could get information from.

Keep up what your currently doing

Analyst

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary

Cons

lots of travel in some roles

Great place

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company is growing fast and hiring alot of new people.
    Culture is very friendly and relaxed.
    They are very helpful and want you to learn alot and have fun doing it

Cons

Not a whole lot of downside. Rellocation needed, by KCMO is a great place with plenty to do.
    They push you to work hard and and find work you are interested in

Great job with your recruiting process, definitely made me want to come work for Cerner and live in KCMO

Great company and good benefits!

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were awesome here. The associate stock purchase plan is good, and the benefit premiums never increased. They engage you and you learn a lot on the job. I recommend them!

Cons

The hours are longer than 40 a week sometimes. The starting salary was nice, but the salary increases after a yearly review were not great.

Pay the employees based on performance to add incentive.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are one of a few stock market traded companies in the HCIT sector.
    They have strong brand equity - although they have many unhappy clients.
    They are a big organization with lots of training opportunities for younger employees.

Cons

CEO - egotistical and doesn't really have a clue what's going on at the R/D level, in spite of the huge $B budget.
    They scare new hires about encountering CEO in an elevator who could ask random questions, if you can't answer, you will be fired. Really? Is this type of hazing necessary?
    VP's and top Execs are all managing their careers to max their bonuses, no integrity & they lie to get clients and exec support to max their bonuses..
    Lots of smoke and mirrors. Lots of turnover. Long-timers would be considered "dead wood" in most other organizations, yet have strong power at Cerner. Best and Brightest leave quickly. Lots of emphasis on "team" and not so much being "smart" - lot's of low level IQ people who've drank the kool-aid and are just hoping to hold on to a job!

If you are trying to make a difference in healthcare (honestly) - run!

More consideration should be given to understand if current staff has the skills to take on certain projects and technologies. Many innovative, advanced technologies have been driven into the ground by existing Cerner people without the education/knowledge to know what they were working with. People fudging results trying to hold on to their jobs - without a clue as to what they are doing. Sales people will sell anything to get a commission - laughing that no one will remember the lies that they told about how Cerner solutions will work...laughing to the bank. Haha - joke is on the customer, and no one thinks there's anything wrong with this -Cerner culture! Is this right? I had a hard time with it - left.