Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison

Heath Morrison

Pros:
  • "You can make a difference in your student's lives"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great Professional Development opportunities"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, challenging students, pressure for high test scores"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Progressive education

ELA Teacher (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-->Thoughtful Leaders
-->Professional Development Opportunities
--> Great teachers

Cons-->No planning time
-->Lack of student discipline

Soul-crushing!!!

Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent hours. Flexible with family situations if management likes you. New management is in place, for now, improving morale.

ConsThe compensation system is a joke. No merit raises. You can get a time-in-position bump, but only when the budget allows. Inter-departmental politics kept projects in limbo.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the compensation system so good people can be rewarded and talented candidates can be hired.

My experience hear, has taught me a lot!

I have been working at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools

ProsI work for CMS because of the growing communities.

ConsI think for the amount of work that we put in as educators, CMS does not appreciate how hard we work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease research the school and neighborhood before applying for a job within the school.

Grateful for a job, but too many politics involved

I have been working at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn my current position, the flexibility is great. You get a chance to come in contact with some great people.

ConsThey do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all the surveys and really make the changes that need to be made to boost morale.

Teacher (Middle School)

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for less than a year

ProsBetter Pay than you would find in other county districts. They are on the cutting edge of several teaching techniques that are effective.

ConsLack of Admin Support, Students Out of Control and the stress level is very high. The New Evaluation is CRAP. It's just something in place they don't follow. Been there longer- in better shape than those that are new

You are the public's enemy and slave at the same time

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for more than 5 years

ProsJune, July, and August as well as frequent days off throughout the year; The benefit of knowing misery loves company; Employee discounts;

ConsCompensation (no true raise since 2008); Expensive benefits ($70 copays for state workers - I'll pass); Company values; Long hours (630am - 630pm); Apathetic students; Top heavy structure; Teachers receive the blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong; Currently teachers in Masters' degree programs will no longer receive raises - so now they have ALL that debt and no way to pay it pay. Please, NC keep up the good work!

Advice to Senior ManagementThings have improved with Heath Morrison but we are a diploma mill. Students graduate with a diploma that no longer represents the acquisition and mastery of knowledge but rather an attendance record of seat time. I'm going to have to move somewhere with stricter academic requirements for students because America, we are screwed.

I enjoy working with the kids in the Afterschool program each day.

Assistant ASEP- Substitute (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools part-time for less than a year

ProsThe Pros are learning from other associates, teachers, and students in the school.

ConsThe Cons are taking classes and only working 15 hours a week, which we are not given money for mileage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to check everyone's credentials and make sure you do not put them in a work or job setting.

Good Experience - Left the school System to care for ailing mother.

Teacher Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTo be able to share my knowledge with and hope I made a positive impact of the lives of the students.

ConsWished I could have devoted more time to each student.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard working and dedicated teachers and they should be making much more than they are making.

Substitute Teacher

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsFlexible work days and hours

ConsOn call, may get called the morning of or a weeks out.

Poorly run school system that is hurting our community

ProsStudents and staff were wonderful

Cons-Too many meetings-before school, during planning period and after school-leaving no time to adequately plan
-School district is too big to succeed-each "zone" has individual needs
-No reward system in place for teachers to want to succeed-I was a coach, involved in extra-curriculars, had great test scores (the best 4) years in a row and our pay was cut and we were expected to do more, more more

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teachers positive feedback everyone and a while

Worked for Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools CEO Heath Morrison. All 63 reviews are posted anonymously by Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools employees.