Charter Communications

Updated 16 September 2014
3.1

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge
Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros
  • The best thing about working for Charter is the full time pay with benefits that include free cable services (in 41 reviews)

• Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management (with a few reasonable supervisors as an exception) is downright dreadful (in 25 reviews)

• It is a call center so be prepared to embrace everything that goes along with the (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Charter is a great company

Current Employee - Broadband Installer  in  Smyrna, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Broadband Installer in Smyrna, GA (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work van and gas card, own tools, and room for advancement

Cons

weather condition, ladder use if you are afraid of heights, and dealing with customers with dirty homes

It was good

Former Employee - Telephone & Internet Repair Tier I  in  Town and Country, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Telephone & Internet Repair Tier I in Town and Country, MO (US)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

4 days on 3 consecutive days off was a nice schedule.

Cons

Too many people touching accounts and lying on you at every turn.

no comment

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Flint, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Flint, MI (US)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training, benefits, great hours selling media, great products to promote that really make a difference for the clients You can feel good about selling a quality product.

Cons

Became so 'corporate'... adding 20% to your goals year after year makes it very difficult for an established rep to squeeze more each year, all the while adding more & more meetings each week. They were effectively reducing your sales time by 20-30 percent each year with weekly meetings & goofy corporate things then asking you to do 20% more... nearly impossible toward the end even for the most successful reps. It was very frustrating.

Micromanaging a successful and established sales force is a mistake.. The more you put us under a thumb the worse the morale was and the worse we all did. Original manager didn't freak out if we 'flexed' our schedule 30 minutes later and I always ended up putting in WAY more than 40 hours because i loved the job, freedom & responsibility, Once a manager started pointing at the clock at 8:02 am, I started leaving at EXACTLY 5 pm and you got exactly 40 hours from me. It's either an hourly job or a professional job that is performance based not scrutinized by how many hours you work. You don't get it both ways in my opinion,. You either have self motivated successful sales team or you have children you must micromanage, ONE of those groups will exceed your expectations by MILES... and we always did. .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Making the big cable companies take notice

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

Changing the way cable does business

Cons

Still stuck with techs that don't care

Quit changing comp plans three times a year.

One of best places to work in Saint Louis

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Bridgeton, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeton, MO (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional environment, easy access to immediate supervisors, fair wages, and benefits.

Cons

Trying to move up asap

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Town and Country, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Town and Country, MO (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent money to be made in sales. They offer good benefits including free cable and internet services. Overtime is freely available most of the time.

Cons

Was unfairly fired for not following "call flow" without warning nor proof of actual violation. I demanded to hear calls of what they were claiming I did wrong (not pitching "triple play gold" on every call) since I know that it wasn't true. They summarily refused and fired me on the spot. I was still in training, in what they call "nesting", and was out performing most of the tenured employees. Was never given a true clear reason why I was really fired.

Consider a more transparent training process

On the Grind

Current Employee - Representative I, Internet/Phone Repair  in  Bridgeton, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Representative I, Internet/Phone Repair in Bridgeton, MO (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free, or heavily discounted services

The game room is full of fun, if you have the time

Benefits package is above average

For the most part, everyone seems friendly

Cons

Double standards. Rules seem to only apply to certain people

Being told one thing from someone, then told something completely different from the first person

Upper management drinks the Kool-Aid by the jug

Easy to get burnt out

Loosen up your rules and restrictions. We are in a call center, there is hardly a need to wear a suit and tie. Also, hold your supervisors and managers more accountable. Just because they worked here for 6 months longer than most reps doesn't mean they know everything.

Call center environment so you're stuck at your desk.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Video Repair  in  Worcester, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Video Repair in Worcester, MA (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get free cable, internet and phone service. The benefits are pretty good but have changed a lot over the years. Good 401k contributions. Good training program.

Cons

Local management is too "clicky", making it hard to advance. Some of the performance metrics are counter-productive. The company often causes problems with the equipment in customer's homes which cause a huge headache for employees on the front line and in the field. If you try to switch departments, the salary changes and you can't do a lateral move. The last few interviews I had were a huge pay-cut so moving around to gain experience is not economically sensible.

Advice to management would be to lighten up on the scripting of the calls. It's hard enough to talk all day, but to say "Thank you for calling Charter Communications, my name is ___. At the end of this call you will be given the opportunity to provide feedback on my performance. How may I assist you today?" 50 times a day is exhausting! Especially since the robot ALREADY says it before you answer!!

Need fewer Upper level Managers, more frontline employees and better communication

Current Employee - Transport & Capacity Eng I  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Transport & Capacity Eng I in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing company with opportunities to learn the business and move forward on your carrier path if you are willing to apply yourself. Many great individuals on our team and in the company that make it a fun place to work with friendly people.

Cons

Too many VP's and upper management that sometime create a mixed message being sent to the frontline employees from upper management. Very little direction or communication from our VP and Director level. Not sure what is going on with our organization sometimes and do not feel that the work I do is valued by my Director and VP. No recognition when we save the company money or when we complete work on a project ahead of time and on budget that has taken may hours and coordination to complete.

Reduce the number of upper management between the CEO and Frontline employees. Open lines of communication and ensure the frontline employees know where the business is headed so that we have more focus on company goals and objectives.

Was a decent company

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

Commission was okay,. base wage was decent.. People i worked with were great

Cons

some people in leadership let it go to their head

Worked for Charter Communications? Contribute to the Community!