Charter Communications
www.charter.com Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

Charter Communications Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014
Charter Communications – US – “Charter Communications”

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge

Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros:
  • "free cable , some of the techs are great to work with , sub contractor's are cool 4 float days"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management change rules weekly to seemingly make it tougher for outside sales reps to close deals"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Broadband Sales (inbound calls in call center) This position was a complete joke"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Moving ahead

Call Center Repair Supervisor (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement, development, and pathing your own career. Great opportunities to stand out and make a difference. Tuition re-embursement is pretty amazing.

ConsYou're working with a lot of entry level positions that can be difficult. Working with folks that are not yet mature enough professionally to see a "big picture" can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to seek opportunities to develop your people to be professionals.

Good company if you can find a job you like.

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are fair maybe slightly better than other other companies. Commission is competitive compared to other companies.

ConsNot much personal growth, you can try transferring to different department. But most likely you may be stuck at at position for good.

Overall Charter wasn't a terrible place to work.

Broadband Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsI really liked that by working here, you get free services - cable, internet, phone. Training for new employees was a very good program.

ConsNeeded more organization. Managers were not on the same page often when it comes to procedures. Area for growth could have been better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal growth. Moire meetings to ensure supervisors are on the same page.

Interesting

Retention Representative (Current Employee)
Walker, MI (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsMoney, you get to sit down

ConsMicro management, angry customers, graded calls

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease culture, be a little bit more flexible with call structure, most trainers seem disconnected.

Great place to start your career and grow

Network Engineer I (Former Employee)
Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are a lot of smart engineers to learn from. Good benefits. A lot of room to grow.

ConsDecisions always seem to be pushed down from higher up with no say from engineers who actually do most of the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Local People...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBecause of previous executive management, there was a good, solid base of long-term employees working at Charter - people who truly want to succeed at their jobs and do the right thing for the customers. I loved going to work every day - because I loved the people I worked with.

It was great to be a part of a company that wasn't afraid of making the changes necessary to keep up with the frantic pace that is the communications business these days.

ConsNew company leadership has taken the "heart" out of the business. The feeling at the local levels now is that they don't care about the employees who are the "front line" of the company nor do they really care about the customer as individuals, but that they're numbers. There used to be a huge sense of pride about being an employee of Charter and how the company supported the communities their people worked and lived in - that's no longer the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are your greatest asset. Pay attention to morale and try to bring the "heart" back into the company.

Excited about new leadership team. They have a lot to fix

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is a lot of potential to grow the company and provide more career opportunities. There seems to be quite a lot of inefficiencies in the organization. Several groups trying to achieve the same things is redundant.

ConsThere is a passive/aggressive culture which creates a lack of trust. I believe the new leadership will change this.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep defining roles and responsibilities across the company and hold folks accountable on a consistent basis.

Multiple opportunities

Associate Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee)
Des Peres, MO (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

Prosflexibility, benefits and office culture

Conswork-life balance. Pay does not match workload. 3% max annual increase.

Direct sales

Direct Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Newnan, GA (US)

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMake great money, meet some great employers with excellent benefits

ConsNot competitive with uverse other than Internet speed

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed two days off a week

Not the worst company I've worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Charter Communications full-time

ProsGood opportunity to make money for someone without a degree, and overall a pretty lenient company for attendance, behavior, ext. They understand a call center isn't an easy place to work long term and try to listen to employee requests as much as possible.

ConsWorking in any call center, especially competitive sales, is soul sucking labor. I would leave work without getting any physical exercise all day but still feel exhausted from arguing with people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your treating your salesmen like adults. A balloon or kazoo is not an appropriate sales reward and honestly it's embarrassing to be a part of that.

Worked for Charter Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charter Communications reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Charter Communications CEO Thomas M. Rutledge. All 303 reviews are posted anonymously by Charter Communications employees.