Chegg

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig

Dan Rosensweig

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Needs real leadership

Not Engineering (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Chegg full-time

ProsGreat benefits:
- full medical coverage
- on-site gym
- free lunches/breakfast
- great parties
- unlimited vacation
- wildly connected employees (leaders of all the major companies in Silicon Valley)

ConsWhere to begin...
- lack of managerial ownership, a team of A-types, & interdepartmental conflicting priorities = a lot of wasted time, pointless meetings, and incomplete projects.
- 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec
- run around on promotions (they are not merit based)
- amnesia about company history: new leaders fail to look at how we got where we are
- questionable business ethics (driven by $$$$)
- becoming 'good ole boys club' culture
- slowest product development I've seen compared to other tech companies I've worked at for years in the valley
- have to threaten to quit or present manager with a new offer for salary increases

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your good employees, actually 'put students first', invest in new product leadership

Awesome in Theory, Not So Much in Practice

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Chegg full-time for more than a year

Pros-Amazing office space
-Pretty much everything you'd expect from a startup in Silicon Valley: parties, snacks, amazing catered lunches, a gym, full benefits, etc.
-If you get on the right team and play the politics, you can move up quickly
-For all the flack D.R. gets for being kind of a tool, he really is an inspirational leader and CEO. If anyone is going to lead a company in Santa Clara to success, it is him. I always left inspired while in his presence and I carry a lot of the lessons he shared with me.

Cons-Different departments do not communicate well
-Off-boarding process was terrible and showed a lack of respect for employees
-Location is terrible.
-Transportation: No commuter checks or reimbursement.
-Politics: if you're friends with the right people, you move up quickly and can get paid a lot. If you don't like office politics, don't work here.
-Salary was good, not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a genuine emotional interest in your employees. Take a general emotional interest in students and teachers (saying this to upper upper-management: I know they say they care about students, but if that's the case, they need to rethink the entire way their digital products are laid out-- they're designed for cheating. It's hard to believe that you're helping students when you're actually enabling them.)

Great company, poor technology team

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chegg full-time for more than 3 years

ProsChegg has a great customer base that loves the product and enjoys the savings brought by the flagship product of renting textbooks. As for the treatment of the employees, all of the perks are top-notch with free lunch every day, excellent insurance and an open vacation policy (to name a few).

ConsThe technology side of the company is awful. Chegg has repeatedly let the senior engineers walk away and replacing them with very inexperienced ones. The worst part is that these junior engineers are responsible for architecting the backend which needs to scale through each rush period.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an objective look at the quality of the work produced by the majority of the engineers. You'll quickly see the reason why new features take so long to go to production and also why they are in half-baked state.

dissatisfied

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Chegg full-time for more than a year

Prosgood employee perks - free food, gym, speaker series, cultural events, fitness classes, unlimited time off
work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh
follow standard engineering practices: continuous integration/code reviews/integration tests
great CEO

ConsEmployees are mostly a treated as a head count. Does not matter what are views/opinions/goals are. Not a lot feedback from the bottom up.

Managerial level is a big big big letdown. Very common to see friends of senior leaders or people with some influence get promoted. Does not matter if the person has necessary skills or background to get the job done. This leads to a lot of frustration.

Forget about pay raises or bonuses.

Education is a tough industry to be in. Tanking stock price says it all

Advice to Senior Managementget more bottom up feedback; occasionally show monetary appreciation

Monetizing students is not the best way to building a lasting relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chegg full-time

ProsIt's a fun culture. The target audience (college students) is great. The team is strong.

ConsChegg is solely focused on monetizing its customers and forgot about creating a relationship with them that's mutually beneficial. Everything they do is about making an extra buck from a college kid. Students are smart and they see through this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a relationship with your customers and it will earn you far more in revenue that selling ads on your website or in the Chegg boxes.

If you get the right manager, one of the best places you could work for

I have been working at Chegg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Most peers are helpful and will want to take time out of their day to help you out.
- Lots of opportunities to be creative and develop new products/ improve processes
- HR does a great job with cultural observations, and there are frequent all hands, seminars, and celebrations.

Cons- If you're in certain teams, be ready to be overworked and exhausted while you watch others do a 9-5 and loll about in the office.
- If you start in the lower levels, prepare to be un.der.paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive clearer and more realistic paths for career development, and hand out some non-embarrassing salary offers and raises once in a while.

An amazing opportunity and experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great! The culture is fantastic and the work life balance is perfect. Interning at Chegg was an experience I won't forget. Everyone was helpful and accessible.

ConsLocated far from SF. Still a small company so some limited opportunity still, but growing fast!

Great Place to Work

Senior Data Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work, Worked in the Data Engineering team. Great team culture. Open to new ideas. Great support. Great Inclusion. Overall great vision for the company future.
Good culture and company has bright future. Free lunch and lot of fun activities. Very flexible and accommodating.

ConsAs any other fast growing pains. I think company must focus on that as well. The company is focussed on student services which is good for the over all education.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are doing great, they need more training to do their job much better. This is not specific to any person. This is purely my observation. I think the top team is working on this. Otherwise I think any fast growing company which faces fast paced issues. I am hoping things will get better.

Good side-job writing solutions

Solutions Author (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- Good pay per solution (I got about $5 per basic algebra solution)
- Work on your own time
- Most of my solutions were accepted without problem

Cons- Some mis-communications with manager
- Payment is once per month
- If your solutions don't clear Quality Assurance by a certain date (note: Chegg was good about reviewing them quickly), you won't get paid for them until the next month's cycle (it's understandable why they do this, but you don't really know how much you're going to get paid the next month)

Great idea, poor execution, direction of product never fully implemented.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Chegg full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, benefits, stock options.

Get to work with new technologies. Friendly, knowledgable co-workers. It really depends on your manager and your team. Some are good. Supposed IPO.

"No Vacation policy" means you can take whatever time you want as long as your manager approves (mostly managers take advantage, Engineers rarely).

ConsA sweatshop for Engineers. No free time. "Free lunch" is a perk to keep you in the office and work more.

Always under the gun. Too many managers-to-engineer ratio. Agile, but never "punting" in 2 years.

Legacy code is absolutely atrocious to work with.

Expect to build 3-4 versions of a feature for out of control "A-B" testing of product features. Product managers have no idea what works, so you build several versions of a feature just to test what "works" in the same amount of time it would take to build one. But since its "agile" you end up changing direction a few weeks later and re-designing/building something else in its place.

Majority of code is discarded after "A-B" test concluded.

The "rush" period is insane, mismanaged, and never prepared for ahead of time. Expect to work long hours, late nights, and weekends for about 4 months out of the year.

Mostly lip service from upper management about "the student graph" and "LinkedIn for students". Product does not reflect this direction.

I only saw one Engineer get promoted in 2 years.'

"High priority" projects don't get the attention or resources they deserve. Everything is "high priority".

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down. Too much vaporware and A-B testing is out of control...hire product managers who know what they are doing.

Worked for Chegg? Contribute to the Community!

Chegg Videos

Chegg – Why Work for Us?

Join us Since 2007, we've been transforming the way millions of students learn by connecting them to the people and tools needed to succeed in college. Students on more than 7,000 campuses nationwide use Chegg for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chegg reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chegg CEO Dan Rosensweig. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Chegg employees.