Child Development

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Associate Teacher

Associate Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Child Development full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was great experience working with the children and they had free, comprehensive trainings for their staff and the staff (for the most part) were great to work with

ConsLittle to no training initially, outrageous expectations for teachers with no time provided to get quality work accomplished, could not guarantee summer hours based off of low enrollment, disorganized management, little to no room for lateral growth

This company has heart, but lacks in leadership, market share and understanding the needs of it's primary customers.

I have been working at Child Development full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are liked by the upper management then you have a job (lousy pay) for life. Because they don't hold managers responsible nor do they evaluate these manager's lackluster decisions, so they have no idea where they are going. It's kinda sad because if they listen to the people that have been successful in assisting other companies, then they could really make a difference and pay their employees a decent wage and give them the promised (5 years now) raises. But for some unknown reason this non-profit company has been around for sometime now, so they keep pouring good money after bad. I will be retiring soon and feel a little guilty because none of us were able to help but kept the status quo. I have a lot of friends here.

ConsThey recently hired a Chief Business Officer whose Capella (online) degree is lacking in actually know how and leadership! This is the highest grade she has obtained and her ego allows her to chop heads based on personality alone. The company is full of long term (3+) temporary workers (low pay, no benefits, no respect) and on any given Friday can be told to not report on Monday which happens more than I would like to recall.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold off removing good people until the new gal can prove her mettle. If you continue year-after-year losing money... then start deleting folks from the top and not those following orders.

It was ok, not very organized or professional

Mentor Teacher (Former Employee)
Elk Grove, CA (US)

I worked at Child Development full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLoved the work with the kids

ConsHated all of the political bullcrap that interferes with the job

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistant

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

good benefits with lack of pay

Teacher (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Child Development full-time for more than a year

Prosgood health benefits and professional growth opportunities. They allow staffs to achieve free training. They have paid holidays.

Consno pay raise... although they have been hiring multiple positions in the company. I've moved up in my position for one and a half years but did not see a pay raise. I have continued to push for my raise but was denied by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay raise will allow companies to keep good hard working staffs.

Potential to do great work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Child Development full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits for full and part time employees; great training/leadership opportunities; quality programs for children and familes; supportive resources (program, CCFP).

ConsWork load for center staff is unrealistic; not a lot of opportunity for job advancement/movement; haven't had raises in 4 years; little or no acknowledgment of hard work; loss of values; inconsistent/late yearly performance reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior managment needs to bring back the values through role modeling. Work to build trust with every employee. Offer time to meet with individuals and get to know centers, staff and communities. Do not make assumptions but ask questions and seek knowledge. Work through peoples strengths. Do not let the power of the position drive your work; it's the people that will bring success. Walk the talk.

Worked for Child Development? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Child Development reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Child Development employees.