Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Updated 24 November 2014
3.8

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They have little to no concern for their employees (in 3 reviews)

• You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful hospital with great resources and colleagues. Benefits are great and management is organized. Everyone on my unit was incredibly supportive, intelligent, and team oriented. Due to the caliber of the hospital, top notch doctors and nurses are drawn there. Innovative clinical trials being conducted at CHOP.

Cons

Salary lower than national average. Otherwise, no cons.

Great and challenging

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with the top scientists and the 'who is who' in research

Cons

Need a better HR and admin department, some are really slow

CHOP cares about their patients, families and employees

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge medicine and nursing in practice everyday

Cons

Horrible parking, bad cafeteria food, campus always under construction

Promotes personal and professional advancement and offers the resources to achieve that goal.

A community focused on improving healthcare

Former Employee - Information Services Co-op in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Information Services Co-op in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful, lots of opportunities to advance. One thing that I really enjoyed was that all of the executives had open door policies are were always willing to talk to you.

Cons

One con that I found was the politics of the office. There are some employees that micro manage you and some that don't care.

I would consider allowing entry level positions and co-op the opportunity to move around between groups so that they can get a better feel of how the company works.

great experience

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic environment, hope lives here.

Cons

Fantastic environment, hope lives here.

nope

Supportive environment

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia part-time (less than an year)

Pros

So far I've enjoyed it here. Everyone is nice, and the environment is just really supportive - my supervisor and director actively take an interest in trying to help me figure out my interests and advance my career. It's a laid-back workplace and everyone considers the work-life balance to be sacred, so I'm not expected to answer emails on the weekends or anything like that.

Cons

Everyone works on their own little teams, so I rarely get to meet new people unless they're specifically introduced to me. So even though it's a small office, it's not necessarily tight-knit (at least from my point of view).

Try to facilitate more mingling of the teams and just force us to interact... maybe have a speed-dating type activity so that we can actually all meet each other.

CHOP makes it easy to go to work every day!

Current Employee - IS Developer I in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - IS Developer I in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

What's great about CHOP is knowing that whatever you do, you're part of an organization that helps sick kids get well. The benefits are great and the workforce is dedicated and positive. There's certainly a lot of prestige attached to working here, as well. You can be disabled, a person of color, LGBT, or any other minority and find welcome.

Cons

The pay is well under market value. You cannot smoke or use tobacco and will be tested at hire. There is rather a lot of bureaucracy which can be stifling.

A great and stable place to work at

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to work at.

Cons

Things can move a little slow sometimes.

The place has heart...

Pros

Wonderful opportunity to work in one of the BEST children's hospital in the world, kids and family are top priority. CHOP is very thoughtful in dealings with families and communities, it has the best of intentions. Decent benefits-PPL. CEO is great and a forward thinker. Not a bad place to work great learning experience.

Cons

22th century medical advancements, 19th century administrative practices and dealings. This is a very passive-aggressive environment, take this into consideration, agressive behavior no matter how good the intention or passion might leave you frustrated. Not a lot of room for advancement, a LOT of chiefs, often great intentions are mis handled. There is a slightly arrogant culture-not so much from the surgeons (which to a point is understandable and expected-these are some of the world's best performing miracles daily) but from leadership minus the CEO he is great, there is a underlining culture that you must adhere too if you want to maintain your sanity, if you are not a kool-aid drinker you have about 3 years before you must drink or be consistently frustrated at the many obstacles and hoops you must jump thru for little to no reward. Lots of praise given out (especially if you manager read a book or too) that many times does not mean much in the end. Lots of meetings to have meetings to have a meeting.

CHOP has its heart in the right place, just too many chiefs...do more for work-balance it will build loyalty for those newer employees entering

Great for patients, horrible for employees

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive training given, very reassuring given the high risk pediatric environment. Clean and organized work environment. Very good benefits. Some opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Almost no work-life consideration from managers. Made to feel guilty just for taking a sick day. Extreme micro-managing with almost no connection between mangers and front line staff. Suggestions are unwelcome and rarely heeded if you can even get management to listen. Employees treated like workers not contributors which means employees rarely feel invested in what they are doing. You do not feel like an valued member of the team, just another worker to fill a shift. This leads to a lot of staff turnover which management doesn't seem to care about cause nothing changes. Salary is lower than regional average.

Employee's should be treated with the same amount of reverence and respect for which you treat your patients. Listen to your employees and they will feel invested in what they are doing. Consider the quality of the work environment, happy employees mean happy patients.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Photos