Chubb Corp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chubb Corp Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Finnegan

John D. Finnegan

Pros
  • The work life balance is very good and the compensation package is quite good (in 23 reviews)

• Good Benefits including health insurance , Decent Bonus (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Few opportunities for advancement unless you are in the "inner circle (in 8 reviews)

• Company promotes work life balance, but doesn't seem to readily give it (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great corporate work environment

ProsFriendly culture allows for a great work-life balance

ConsWork can become fairly repetitive

It used to be a great place to work

ProsThe company itself has a great reputation with it's customers. Good benefits.

ConsManagement no longer seems to care about it's staff. At one time you can tell the company really valued it's employees and it treated them as such. now it seems it doesn't really care about the emloyees at all. Lots of positions outsourced because it's cheaper (although the quality is much worse). Staff is not appreciated at all.

This is why although I'm a current employee I am looking for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your staff is the face of your company. If you want them to represent your company well treat them decently and let them know they are valued.

Apartheid managing

ProsFacility was adequately heated. ;)

ConsTechnically hired as a contract legal bill reviewer by a temp agency, which is a slick way for Chubb to avoid employment laws and to sub-contract out management of temps. Chubb uses more than one agency to find temporary workers for its legal cost management unit. The goal is to bilk attorneys who are hired to defend/represent Chubb insureds when they are sued. So they train temps in how to reduce the amounts paid to the attorneys, and meanwhile, treat the temps as expendable. A very strange environment. Also in the building, are claim adjusters and their support and managers - who are paid great salaries if they started before the banking crisis in 2008, great benefits, and live as higher class workers. TWO different systems in place. One being the old way; the other being the new. I realize they have to deliver returns to their shareholders (and upper management), but it felt like slave labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat goes around comes around. Eventually, the people and businesses that literally entrust you to defend them will find out that you are being so tight with their attorneys that it amounts to managing the entire litigation (taking that right away even when policy-holders have paid to make their own decisions). You will lose market share. Honesty counts, and taking such advantage of the market that you have old staff who are treated well, and more recent staff who are temps working at your mercy should be punishable if not here on earth, than somewhere else.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Chubb Insurance was educational. Learning aspects of insurance practices.

Chubb Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)

ProsThe best reason to work at Chubb is that they appreciate their employees which in turn gives better quality of work performed. They are a company for their employees.

ConsThe only con that I have was the distance they were from where I lived.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have a lot of advice to Management as the managers I worked with were very professional, knowledgeable and great assets to the company. I would love to go back to Chubb Insurance as an employee.

Gdfffdfdf

Claims Examiner (Current Employee) Simsbury, CT (US)

ProsFriendly, collaborative environment; a good place to start your career

ConsOther reviews pretty much have it right.

CSR 1

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lake Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsNone at all. A
    Good place

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for advancement

Longevity and stability win

Senior Underwriter I (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and growth opportunities for hardworkers. Strong national presence.

ConsHard to navigate the opportunities sometimes without a coach of some type

Service Center

Claim Service Center Examiner II (Current Employee) Simsbury, CT (US)

ProsThe employees you will work with are generally respectful and helpful. Of course there will be a few bad apples who try to cause trouble as with any workplace. Once you settle in there is a lot of flexibility in regards to work life balance. As long as you get your work done you may come and go as you please within reason. It seems if you push hard enough or complain you will be able to work from home and possibly advance. The training is non-stop so you will constantly be learning about the job. The job itself is interesting and challenging as well as rewarding. There are snack bars in the building that charge as little as 50cents versus the vending machines that charge more than double. There is an onsite gym that is free and pretty decent. There is a bike trail nearby that comes in handy for jogging or when you need to decompress to regain composure. You can walk to a Dunkin' Donuts. Parking is free.

ConsPlease note: You must have your CT Casualty Adjuster's license for this position. If you do not have it you will need to pass the exam within 6mo of employment.

There are 4 major negatives.

Pay: Low. If you are extended an offer you must negotiate an acceptable salary you feel is fair. The trend is to strong arm you into accepting what they want to pay you. You will be surprised at what salary they will offer you as it is well below the market average when comparing the job duties and responsibilities with the local competitors. Once you accept you will be stuck with this low unfair salary until you quit and move on. When comparing actual empirical and tangible salary info of local competitors the pay is a slap in the face as other companies offer a 4-5% increase per year + a bonus or if the increase is as little as 2% the bonus reward is very large.

Leadership: None. The so called supervisors serve a role as selfish entitled condescending enforcers who use fear and intimidation to motivate their staff. Supervisors are not able to provide immediate relevant and honest feedback. Supervisors are not able to provide any development plans, coaching or career guidance. Supervisors are not able to provide training and technical guidance to their staff. Supervisors are not able to review individual employee's work product and performance fairly because they do not use objective reasoning and are pressured to keep salaries low and promote job attrition. Supervisors have absolutely no passion for their employees, their engagement, or their development. What supervisors are coached in is how to write a skewed review to make a reader conclude something that is just not the full truth. The individuals that are employed as supervisors and manager are truly not qualified for the position.

Advancement: None. The Service Center is structured like a Call Center. This is a fatal flaw as you can not adapt a call center mentality to EPL claims handing. There is EXTREMELY high turn over. We are literally losing 1 employee a month. This is a small office thus there are limited functions. When there is an opening outside of the Service Center it becomes a dirty competition with games and politics. Supervisors have actually discouraged certain employees from posting for other jobs within the company. Its more of who you know than your actual work performance. In a nutshell there is no opportunities for any advancement unless you go the complaint and/or disability route.

Work environment: Toxic. Very low morale. Lots of talking behind people's back. Dishonesty. Dissension. No respect. People embellishing others' mistakes to make themselves look like the hero. This is across the board from supervisor to subordinate. Unrealistic expectations that are not obtainable as they need an excuse to keep salary low, remove dead weight, and promote attrition. Heavy workload. Negative only feedback and comments from supervisors. Supervisors main goal is to find mistakes and exploit and document them. A sense of fear created as employees are actually afraid to ask questions. Complaints to HR. "Every man and woman for themselves" mentality. "Throw you under the bus" tactic is used often by many. Plausible deniability is a tactic a few supervisors and technical resources use. When employees are openly discussing job searches and job interviews with competitors, being unhappy, comparing salary, comparing reviews, etc… you know there is an issue.

If you are considering taking a job in the Service Center think twice about this decision. There are other companies out there that seem to offer more and are not run like a white collar sweat shop. A lot of us see the writing on the wall as they are currently using job attrition and performance management to remove dead weight. It has created more work and we are not getting paid any more and the working environment has become pressurized. At this stage we are doing work that is worth a lot more than we are being paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementPARADIGM SHIFT. The Service Center needs to be revamped and a new operating model MUST be implemented before the mass exodus of dedicated skilled senior examiners leave and we are left with only lower skilled less experienced examiners. You can not adapt a call center or even a home/auto claims center operating model to EPL claims handling as it is not a process oriented job. We have heard it a few times from the field, the Service Center is a mistake. If you really want the Service Center to continue its existence then find a real solution to the problem. You can only prevent the inevitable for so long (a complete re-organization or a merger with the cores). Consider removing the management team and bring in/hire quality talent that has actual managerial experience and skills that are proven in a tangible nature. If this is not possible create an actual "Leadership Team" so that these so called supervisors and the so called manager can learn from each other. Supervisors and a manager always pretend to be busy, have no time to help, ignore emails and requests for reviews, give vague answers to questions, they use the word "You" vs "We", play favorites, and are never able to answer and resolve conflicts or issues in a short period of time. These are classic signs of a bad manager and this must be dealt with. The management style must change as using fear and intimation and high pressure tactics does no good but create animosity and high turn-over. Suggest management team attend an outside management seminar and then be tested on what skills they learned from said outside seminar.

15 years. Started as programmer trainee. Now Senior Programmer Analyst.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsVery high-quality IT department, but going downhill fast.

ConsPoor jjob security, declining morale, no room for advancement, frequent layoffs, highly political, moving from a one-of-a-kind superior insurance company to generic property and casualty insurer. Though it's stock does okay, it is a company suffering from internal decline, poor morale and horrible upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a heart. You have 3 groups of stake holders. Customers, shareholders, and employees. You seem to think you have only one, and it is none of the above. A self-promoting of senior management team.

traditional insurance company, changing in fast pace

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Warren, NJ (US)

Prosgood traditions; good inter-department relations; good compensation in average, company is trying to stay in a first row, one of a hundred best places to work just few years ago

Consjobs not stable any more; limited opportunities to grow; stopped to support learning process; restructuring is no sense, - it turned to cutting positions...

Worked for Chubb Corp? Contribute to the Community!