Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees(in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing(in 6 reviews)

Good place to work

Prosflexible hours, friendly, technology leader. Ciena is a good place to work and offers competitive vacation days.

Consdistributed teams across many countries, office space is cramped and overcrowded

Great place to work

Software Engineer 1b (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGood work culture, good learning

Conssome times no work. but good for learning

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

PLM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of smart people to work with.

ConsProduct direction changes a lot.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Major part of the quality work is Off-shored,

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Hanover, MD (US)

ProsFlexibility. International Presence. Company seems to be growing

ConsCiena is not a place that will enhance your technical skills. Its a place to do some legacy ownership, and light work. The technical teams are Disorganized, disconnected. This mainly happens because most of the quality work is off-shored, with major control given to off shore teams. The vibes hence is on buying specialized skills from outside rather than build technical expertise, within, but in reality these specialized skills have little experience, and quite little tendency to share the work, or transfer knowledge to those internal to team. Less transparency and reliability witnessed on the culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuilding internal skills always helps long run. But if outsourcing is the path chosen by company, it maybe a better idea to hire internship managers who can manage this team. Technical people would obviously expect an enhancement of their technical skills, and its only fair hence not to hire them.

Excellent work environment, great products

Senior Software Engineerenior Account Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsStrong technical team, great sales support, great earnings potentail

ConsLimited promotion opportunities, good ol' boy network at corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some deadwood that adds little value but earns big salaries. Housecleaning is long overdue.

Good company to work for

Software Engineer 1b (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGood culture, awesome facilities, very good hike they give when join them.

ConsBad appraisal systems, some teams have more politics due to people who are staying for long time in company but will start saying bad about company as they afraid of losing there jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate good culture. Do not promote politics.

Great place to work

Electronics Technician (Former Employee) Linthicum Heights, MD (US)

ProsThere is no micro-managing. VERY diverse workforce

ConsPays less than average for position

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more performance raises

Good

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGood benefits,compensation,work/life balance and growth

Consneed to innovate and be open to new ideas

Advice to Senior Managementbroaden horizons

Awesome place to work.. Lots of HR activities to keep you busy..Free Food amazing infrastructure

Lead Engineer P&T (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsAwesome place, lovely people..Very Active HR, free food, Gym.. Billiards, TT..

ConsNo stock options, not much work from home options..some dead weights sitting as everywhere..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.. bring ESPP, RSUs for India employees

Ciena is a terrible place to work

Senior Field Eng (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere is absolutely no good reason to be employed here. They treat their employees horribly and have taken nearly their entire workforce off-shore, calling themselves "a U.S. based company". Decietful liars.No bonuses to those that tow the line.

ConsSelfish management, no work life balance, slave-like atmosphere. Management takes care of only themselves. I have been dragged all over the planet performing my job above expectations and I have not received a raise or bonus in two+ years of employment here. This place is absolutely horrible and I do not recommend emplyment here. I came over from Nortel Networks where employees were treated with dignity and respect. Ciena is selfless and selfish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!