Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees(in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing(in 6 reviews)

Ciena is a terrible place to work

Senior Field Eng (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere is absolutely no good reason to be employed here. They treat their employees horribly and have taken nearly their entire workforce off-shore, calling themselves "a U.S. based company". Decietful liars.No bonuses to those that tow the line.

ConsSelfish management, no work life balance, slave-like atmosphere. Management takes care of only themselves. I have been dragged all over the planet performing my job above expectations and I have not received a raise or bonus in two+ years of employment here. This place is absolutely horrible and I do not recommend emplyment here. I came over from Nortel Networks where employees were treated with dignity and respect. Ciena is selfless and selfish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves

Optical vendor, state of the art technology in long haul and metro DWDM optical solutions for telecommunications.

Lead Engineer P&T (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsBest in their niche, one of the few of it's kind that survived the tech bubble

ConsBig H1-B visa house, slave labor for a few years till they get their green card. About 90% Indian at the Alpharetta location. Not a diverse workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the majority of your employees from US citizens graduating college, with less that 10% H1-B candidates.

Great growth company.

ProsLeading solutions that are helping drive the future of communications, cloud and the Internet.

ConsQuick to cut employees without notice or providing an opportunity to move to a new role.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

junior hardware designer coop position.

Computer Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people work with great lab environment, it is a flexible time to work with enough time for assignments with other team members, weekly meeting update as nortel's style, learning more technologies via internal training course without cost, all new tools and education is provided by online and workshop. teamwork and individual work base.
    great senior engineers are working so hard in the lab and lots of learning with them for new engineering concepts and developments.

Consnot too much food in cafe, each year cut off people with bad performance without notification. some people are eating food in the office and it is not enough space to take break without people

Great work life balance

Software Engineer || (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours. I can work from home. This allows employees to have a great work-life balance.

ConsMany engineers with many years of experience. It is very difficult to get ahead but you'll learn a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide comprehensive career path.

Disgusting Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo Pros, only Cons if u want to make your career hell ,go to Ciena.

Conshardcore internal politics, not employees only politicians work their
    Every manager is a politician , very poor work culture, HR team sucks big time

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some People development , learn some humanity .

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSmall teams, work hour flexibility

ConsLimited room for growth, no career mentoring

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to assign tasks which align to employee's interests

Good

ProsGood work life balance, Good Salary

ConsQuality of work not good for freshers, low appraisal

Accounting Department

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Linthicum, MD (US)

ProsDecent benefits, work life balance, good people to work with

Consvery bureaucratic, still struggling to get back to been a profitable company after the nortel acquisition, layoffs are a common place

Great place to work, Ample opportunities and very good culture, Free Cab and Free Food

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGood package and hike,Work life balance,Awesome food,One of best and highly paid company in Delhi NCR.
    Very good in hand salary, Very Co-operative seniors
    One of best company I have worked so far

ConsYou wont get that much which keeps you busy for whole day :-p

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Management

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!