Cigna

Updated 25 August 2014

3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good all round company

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

exellent management and training scheme

Cons

limited in progression, can be repetitive.

IT Developer in Glasgow

Former Employee - IT Developer  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - IT Developer in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly loyal colleagues who do their best in trying circumstances

Cons

An acceptance of bullying amongst middle management leading to a high turnover of staff. Very little career development or training. Poor compensation and little chance of meaningful review. Shockingly overcrowded and noisy work environment.

Rip out and redesign entire middle management structure in IT. Move to new premises. Build a genuine meritocracy and end the nepotism.

Rather Boring and poor training

Former Employee - Benefit Analyst  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Benefit Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff worked with were fun, good away days. Overtime available, (however due to staff shortage) flexible working hours

Cons

Poor management, poor training, face fits then OK. us and them attitude from management. forced to work overtime to deal with workloads due to staff shortages due to high turnover of staff

Hire proper middle management who have experience for job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Acceptable

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constant interaction with other countries (US, Belgium, China). Global projects.

Cons

There is no career at all.

Invest some money in the technologies that your teams need to work.

Employees should be able to anonymously review their managers. This allows managers to get useful feedback and the result of these reviews should be taken into account for the annual review of these managers (e.g.: a manager with bad reviews from his employees should not get a good salary rise).

Company policies and benefit package are quite disappointing.

overall ok

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

colleagues are great making the job more bearable

Cons

stressful job and benefit doesn't match the workload

"The salary you enter will almost not change"

Current Employee - Claims Manager  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility, growth and geographic opportunities. Multicultural and international experience. Ongoing training opportunities.

Cons

Poor internal communication. Business strategy made upon management decisions without any previous consideration of further consequences a part of pure monetary outcome.

Improve internal communication and care of employees. Recognition of internal talents.

Loved the area I was in

Former Employee - QA Lead
    Former Employee - QA Lead

I worked at Cigna as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Very talented people. I had good flexibility in my position. I was a consultant and paid well...though not towards the end. Consultant rates are the lowest in the industry now. I loved my job and the people I worked with. It was the best job I ever had. I never would have left and wanted to become an employee until new manager came in.

Cons

Managers are not trained well. They are allowed to bully and harass employees and upper management and HR will not intervene. New manager that took over my department intimidated everyone. 18 people in 12 months left or were terminated...including offshore resources that asked for reassignment out of fear. Several employees and consultants were 'blacklisted' by one individual and HR has not been able to make the connection and deal with the REAL problem.

Pay attention to how your managers are treating people. Maybe the problem is the manager and not the staff. If you are seeing complete turnover of a dept and a manager that has nothing good to report about a single worker...maybe THEY are the problem. Stop sticking your heads in the sand and stop sweeping issues...like bullying...under the rug. Confront it and deal with it. It is only going to get worse the longer they get away with it. We find bullying intolerable in schools...why not in the corporate environment? This person single-handedly destroyed the reputation of MANY highly skilled workers...out of revenge and insecurity. They cannot get jobs at Cigna and though this person no longer holds a high level managerial position...she is still employed at Cigna and bullying her subordinates.

Systems Analyst

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Bloomfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomfield, CT (US)

I worked at Cigna as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Tons of access to upper mgmt and career opportunities. They push educational growth as a part of the culture, and that's amazing.

Cons

Very behind in technology. Old platforms are always being leveraged instead of efficient, cutting edge technologies.

Great Benefits & Employee-friendly

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits; lots going on in the office - lot of opportunity and lots of growth available; free coffee/water/tea; food trucks and massage therapists on campus often

Cons

management/leadership in my department is lacking

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist  in  Bloomfield, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Bloomfield, CT (US)

I have been working at Cigna for more than a year

Pros

Becoming one of the most innovative health services company with a great direction. Not a stuffy environment at all.

Cons

While innovative, it can be difficult to advance certain innovative ideas but the environment is improving.

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!