CipherCloud Reviews

Updated 29 March 2015
56 reviews filtered by
Pravin Kothari

Pros
  • I joined the company because of great technology (in 4 reviews)

• Strenghts of the company: work culture- the support towards career goals - great team work - great cloud security competitor (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Since bar of hiring people is higher, sometimes work-life balance gets a hit (in 4 reviews)

• HR policies,especially leave policy has to be improved (in 3 reviews)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at CipherCloud (more than a year)

Pros

Great and friendly people. Challenging product.

Cons

Some late hours, but that is what you would expect.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus

Market leader to market lagger

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time

Pros

Expectations are very low of employees. If you're an A player and aren't bothered by incompetence, this will be an easy job regardless of your role. The market opportunity remains mammoth, and it isn't too late for changes in the executive ranks to fix what is broken.

Cons

This is the only company I've seen who is dismissive of their largest partner and customer making an investment in a competitor. The turnover among the rank and file is shocking, frankly. Even a well pedigreed hire made in their Chief HR Officer quit after six months of making recommendations to fix the company which fell on deaf ears.

The competition is closing in on CipherCloud, but there seems to be no concerns despite worsening sales, a shrinking pipeline for opportunities and large customers abandoning CipherCloud for lesser software.

The lack of experience with most executive leadership is becoming increasingly painful, and most of the problems others have outlined in other negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Take an honest assessment of the progress the company made, and start implementing meaningful changes.

Strong market but company leadership is in desperate need of an upgrade

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time

Pros

The cloud security market is on the verge of exploding and CipherCloud pioneered this market. The organic market opportunity is massive.

Cons

CipherCloud's senior leadership team is ineffective and frankly, is hurting the company with some of its shortsighted decisions.

Advice to Management

Bring in a proven President/COO to operate the company. At the moment, current leadership is the biggest barrier to success.

Great working for a leader in the space.

I have been working at CipherCloud

Pros

- Very thoughtful and adaptive leadership.
    - Freedom to innovate and create new solutions.
    - I have seen the leadership team stand by their integrity/ethics even in the face adversity.

Cons

- Change of course is not everyone, so if you are sensitive to this it can be overwhelming.

Sinking ship

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance for sales team. Since most of them couldn't hit their numbers, they hit LinkedIn instead.

Cons

Management is oblivious - to what employees, partners and customers think of them, to the direction the market is going, and to the basics of running a successful technology company. They had a legitimate 2 year lead on the competition in a potentially huge market and are rapidly finding themselves caught and surpassed on every front. The employee attrition they have seen in the last 12 months should scare both management and recruits.

Advice to Management

Sell (now) - you will never take this company public.

Amazing CEO, competent management, ton of learning opportunities

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for a while and honestly i don't quite understand where some of the criticism is coming from. The management team is actually pretty competent, nice to employees, challenges the team to be the best they can be and overall knows what needs to get done in the cloud security space. There's a lot of competition out there and its and the winning mindset is actually healthy for a company that's been growing at the pace that the company has been growing at.

Company culture is really good too. We have our Friday forum lunches where someone is always there to talk about something interesting. Folks are always polite and willing to help.

The CEO too is incredibly well rounded, has nuanced understanding of the technology, understands sales and marketing more then some of the best i've seen in the space. Above all, he is very nice to people and almost never rubs people the wrong way. He puts in more hours at work than most everyone at work and he does it becomes he is passionate about building something great. He is hands down the best CEO i've worked for.

Cons

Company has created some really good products but we can do better to delight the customers. We are seeing some growing pains of taking the company to the next level. With the introductions of new HR, the processes are getting streamlined and the people management can only get better.

Advice to Management

Do fewer things but do them well.

Stay away from this terrible place and employer

Former Employee - Architect
    Former Employee - Architect

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive about this place.

Cons

Terrible management - only philosophy the follow is use and throw. Unprofessional work ethic, horrible HR practices..

Advice to Management

You don't deserve to run a tech company, you are only suitable to run a family business.

An unbelievably horrid experience

Former Employee - Lead Cloud Security Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Cloud Security Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of are the location of the office and free parking.

Cons

I was with CipherCloud for about 2 years (I was considered a veteran) and I simply can not recommend this company to anyone. I'm not sure which was worse - the lack of direction in the company or the lack of respect management had towards employees. In the final 3 months prior to my departure, I've witnessed at least 7 people resign from their positions. The company is falling apart - security product breaks down too often and nobody in sales can hit their number. Please beware. The recruiters do a great job pitching CipherCloud with false promises. If you decide to interview, please pull aside an employee and ask them about how they really feel.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees to write fake Glassdoor reviews to boost ratings and treat your employees with respect!

A good place to work in the Security market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. Culture – is good. I have worked at several companies over the past few years and CipherCloud’s is the best..
    2. Team – strong team, good product portfolio, and market leader. We have some super smart developers here.
    3. Technology – superlative. we are doing some things that our competitors can only dream of doing.
    4. Education – I have learned a ton since I joined.

Cons

Company is growing fast which is impacting the the culture. Need to focus on hiring the right people.
    Benefits are just ok.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your are doing with more focus on developing processes and culture.

Great company in a great space

I have been working at CipherCloud

Pros

Supportive Management, Great colleagues, Friday Food

Cons

Company does not match 401K contributions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.