Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,058 ratings)

4,234 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is better compare to many of the start-ups"
    in 467 reviews
  • "It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire"
    in 266 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance if you are an individual contributor"
    in 147 reviews
  • "The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity"
    in 139 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable company with good attitude of the people.

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

ProsFor such a large company, still some great innovation at Cisco. Good salary levels.

Cons'Red tape' and process to wade through in order to get somethings done.

Great American company

I have been working at Cisco Systems

ProsInternational environment. Good salary and benefits

ConsThe global organization is currently evolving.

Great company but needs to think more and do less

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEntreprenurial (still a bit!), can do attitude, great people

ConsPressure is relentless there is no time to think about anyDebthing. Senior players can make or break you. Hero to zero culture you can be a star for years and then if one senior VP decides he (and it normally is he) doesn't like you your days are numbered

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people time to reflect as well as running at 100 miles an hour in different directions. Develop a big picture talent strategy

Excellent employer which promotes personal growth

Linux Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good career choices
Encourages learning
Salaries is market related

ConsWork life balance can be affected if you don't make a conscious effort to leave your stimulating work behind and head home.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what youre doing

Great learning experience

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat brand, opportunities to learn and grow, fantastic and ambitious people around, work-life balance

ConsYou have to know how to play the game to get to the top... which holds true for most corporates but good talent can sometime go unrecognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave clearer path for career progression and not ambiguity. Value your people for what they bring to the table not for what they bring to the managers table. Go down a level and learn more of the truth !

Too many chefs...

Engagement Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCisco is very good in being accommodating and treats its employees with respect, respects their personal time and tries its best to be flexible.

ConsHierarchies are quite closed, there is little to no chance to get promoted and there seems to be a never ending number of management levels tripping over each other. Difficult to see accountability. Also since they introduced webex, people don't see eachother anymore and teams don't meet face to face anymore - a loss of humanity in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTemper the use of webex and telepresence. They are great tools but face to face is also important. Listen to your people and make sure managers are being properly evaluated by their teams, as all it takes is one bad manager to lose an excellent employee.

Challenging, rewarding but at times frustrating!

Global Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOutstanding solutions, great extended team,flexible environment and well rewarded. The quality and variety of business solutions that you can bring to the table working for Cisco sales is second to none, backed up by local and HQ based expertise, there are a broad range of business conversations that you can drive with customers.

ConsFlat matrix structure means that whilst you can generally get things done quickly, career progress is slow due to limited options to move upwards. If you want to move sideways, great!

Great top leadership, terrible middle-manager

Project Team Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

ProsCisco is one of those companies that can tell you what is going to happen in 10 years.
The (sometimes tough) directions the company is taking is showing a great sense of decision-making, strategies and insight.

As for the employees they are given the best care, best tools, the best hardware, the best trainings I've seen so far in my career.

ConsMost employees are now hired through acquisitions. That was my case.
It is a good thing in itself, but this is a real problem for the company culture, meant to be open, collaborative and turned towards the future, when former managers looking at surviving the next week come into play.

You end up in a very interesting situation where the middle management is essentially anti-productive:
- very short term thinking
- no decision making, seeking "consensus" (which essentially means hiding until you can't hide anymore)
- focused on personal career, not on the team development.
In this environment, blame and backstabbing are very common, and not surprisingly talents get discouraged, or leave.

I personally loved my job and Cisco, and got caught in the middle of a management lack of decision, rendering months of hard work into dust, where a simple professional discussion could have solved the matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementCisco is a GREAT company, with a great culture, great products and a great future.

It is being wasted by the bureaucracy self-generated by managers who take no decision and just wait there.
Do something. This company is worth it. Not anyone can be a manager. Being a manager means taking decisions and risks.

Top leaders should spend more time coaching/replacing middle management when there are clear signs of disfunction.

Sales Process and leverage of complete offering

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Feltham, South West England, England

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsCisco is a very well structured organisation with a comprehensive market offering based on a combination of organic and acquisition growth

ConsThe decision making process often impacts Cisco's agility to respond to customer demands and they need to improve the positioning of their complete offering to improve wallet share and drive customer intimacy

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside standard processes to improve execution and leverage the ideas of the companies that they acquire

neutral

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Prosprestige, big org, nice culture,

Conscorporate buzz, office location, formal,

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 4,234 reviews are posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.