Citi

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.1 2,491 reviews

Citi CEO Michael Corbat

Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Citi generally has a good work-life balance for a financial services company (in 193 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home at least three times a week, was given praise for work from upper management (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the greatest asset working here was the Work Life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Senior management continues to move jobs from NYC to Buffalo to save money (in 113 reviews)

More Highlights
2,491 Employee Reviews

Good place to work

ProsCosmopolitan, reputation, good perks and benefits

ConsToo bureaucratic. Not enough visibility on other parts of the business.

Rewarding

Intern (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGreat work culture, good career progression, access to management

Consworking hours, slightly competitive

Lovely people

2-Week Work Experience (Former Employee) London, England

ProsFeels like a flat organization. I had the chance to meet a great number of people from a variety of different levels.

ConsI can see that because the culture of the team/department I was in seemed so laid back that I could unintentionally get complacent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boring mundane repetitive work

Applications Development Intermediate Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

Pros- very small pro: slightly more pay than average
    - good benefits package

Cons- this is NOT the place to start if you want to gain experience in software development

- you wont learn anything new here, code is all legacy, 10 years old, and I'm not exaggerating you will find youself getting stuck doing the same mundane tasks every day

- less than 5% of your job will be bug fixing development on shell scripting, java 5 the rest will be monitoring and maintaining market feeds

- senior developers close to management (or over 2-3 years service) will get the little amount of new "features" developed on old platforms

- you dont write full applications here you will have to wait on access request for weeks on end from deployment database frontend etc etc teams for minimal one liner changes

- constantly told "think of yourself as a banker here, not a software developer"
    - horrible americanised office culture that the financial people embrace is also forced on software developers
    - no bonuses or out of hours pay for long developer hours here, they are saved loudest and laziest bankers on the top level
    - 5am calls from teams in india singapore usa as brief as "fix this before maket opens at 6am, goodbye"
    - this bank received the biggest bail out in the world, and is know for being one of the most corrupt

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with interviewees what they are getting themselves into
    Listen to what a developer needs to do his job
    Allow a developer to work in the areas he/she wants to work

Working at Citi

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt is a great place to work. It will provide opportunities for a successful career to anyone with the desire and drive to do so. A vast global network with numerous opportunities, always willing to provide those that want it with assistance to grow professionally.

ConsCan be political at times, but this will depend on who your boss and peers are.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the vested interest of those who have been at the institution for too long, and the people who lack the academic as well as professional background/mentality/work ethic that banks have strived to garner in the last few decades.

Spectacular learning, aggressive culture

Investment Banking Associate (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- You learn a lot
    - You are given responsibility early
    - You're trained by the best
    - Meritocratic place most of the times

Cons- Aggressive, cut-throat office culture
    - Hard to get time off
    - Top management couldn't care less about employees
    - A completely money driven place (all we do is for the bonus, all the actions/poor actions are measured against your expected bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the culture right. Don't try to be a nicer Goldman Sachs as this won't work

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, plenty of opportunities to grow

ConsCant think of any cons

Good environment, poor IT infrastructure, organisational issues

Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI have been welcomed by a friendly environment. Serious professionals collaborative and helpful.
    My team was responsible for a trading application and sometimes it was stressful, with long hours and some calls outside working times.
    Average-low compensation compared with other investment banks.

ConsSometimes I felt lack of guidance from management, and it was not always clear who was responsible for what.
    Dealing with the corporate intranet is a nightmare, and most contacts with the people supporting the IT infrastructure were fruitless or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake en effort to promote meritocracy at every level.
    Improve corporate processes and the IT infrastructure.

More experienced managers

Low Skills;
    Inexperienced Uneducated Management;
    No training;
    No perks

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome knowledgeable in what you're paid to do.

Good graduates will leave...

Senior Analyst, Operations (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLarge mutltinational corporation/multicultural so diversified in it's employee intake.

ConsFew opportunities for graduates in the long-run if recruited via a non-graduate management programme; difficult to move into parallel project roles despite having the skills (analytical etc.) /intellectual rigour;

In a nutshell;

~ Senior management could not care less what goes on downstream as long as it is not affecting their power grip on the organization and end-of-year bonus;
    ~ Middle management are clueless, the majority are without formal education (professional or otherwise), preferring to hang around their peers with whom they have formed industry bonds (and feel comfortable) whilst maintaining the status-quo;
    ~ At lower levels, mediocre staff (majority school leavers in Back/Office/Ops) who have been allowed to stay on for years but escape redundancy because judged too expensive to get the sack (although that trend is slowly phasing with offshoring to India).

Advice to Senior ManagementGraduates that are educated and smart will not stay without decent career prospects, 3-4 years is the maximum time one can spend in a firm without promotion/pay rise. BAU becomes unbearable after a while and so does shift work.

Worked for Citi? Contribute to the Community!