Citizens Bank

Updated 4 March 2015
2.5

Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you are a branch employee; branches are severely understaffed (in 22 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Good overall

Former Employee - Banker in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Banker in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Incentives, hours, co workers, pay, branch

Cons

Growth, management, locations, breaks, atm

Great coworkers, frustrating lack of managerial communication and direction

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI (US)
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Cranston, RI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of good people working here
    Providence-area office locations make for better commuting options (as compared with Boston)
    Easy-going atmosphere despite hectic pace of work; lots of folks with a great sense of humor

Cons

Frustrating lack of communication and leadership from management
    Poor office space/parking planning (everyone is being squished into already overcrowded offices)
    Lack of conference rooms
    Lack of good coffee and basic paper goods in kitchenettes!

Show employees more respect by making them aware of the corporate and divisional goals;
    Show new hires an org chart! Bring back good coffee and paper goods to the kitchenettes - can't even wipe up spills!

Great Bank

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Great place work.great.benefits and starting pay. Base salary paid weekly which is a plus

Cons

The challenges is alot of micromanagement going on which can make work life.very stressful.

Stop micromanaging.your employees

Working at CFG as a Universal Banker has great hours and benefits, but isn't ideal for someone content with hourly wage.

Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My branch is very positive and energetic. I love my benefits and my hours! If you like to work days, a bank is great! My branch is only open 3 hours saturday mornings and closed on sundays. If I had my choice I'd work at a branch which is closed saturday and sunday both.

Cons

I work with many older woman and do not fit in terribly well as a young 20-something male. If you work in an "in-store" branch such as at a super market, you may work longer hours, as late as 7:30-8:00pm at night, and work saturdays and sundays both. You don't make a lot of money unless you hit high tier bonuses, which seem close to impossible.

My managers are all very positive and encouraging. As far as leadership goes, I'm happy with them. Their is a lot of emphasis on training classes outside of the work place and online repetitive training, so I feel comfortable in my role.

I've been with the company 4 years

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

The pay is good, the benefits are alright. It takes knowing someone to get a promotion, so that is challenging.

Cons

The constant pressure to sell, sell, sell. It's hard to believe the company really wants us to put the customer first when the bottom line is what did you sell today and why you didn't get 3 checking accounts?

I think maybe having a branch or team goal would give each person the chance to contribute from their strong suit and they would work together to get the branch to goal so they would all get compensated. There wouldn't be so much back stabbing from other colleagues to get their units, or steal them from another colleague

A good place to learn the industry.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Warwick, RI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very large community bank, which provides for a lot of redundancies in terms of responsibility. This allows for a good learning environment. Being a local company in its roots also provides an open dialogue with younger employees and senior management.

Cons

The local feel stifles growth, both from the lack of diverse business the bank does and the tendency to pigeon hole people and bring in talent from outside the bank.

Talent is hard to come by with the uncertainty surrounding location. By either committing to mermaid in RI or move to MA you could keep talent from leaving or drawn in talent that is unsure about the future of the company.

Constant change

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Nice pay and benefits. There are opportunities for advancement throughout the organization.

Cons

Constant changes in management and organizational structure. Work long hours which are often not appreciated by management.

Priorities need to be in line with objectives. Consistency I'm leadership will help ensure effective communication and achievement of goals.

Strong company, high employee turnover

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Citizens Bank has a very string and consistent training program and they provide a great first-step in to the financial industry

Cons

Employee retention rate is very low and the company pushes sales and goals very aggressively without making a clear bonus structure for going above goals.

Old company

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Quite laid-back working environment. Flexible to wfh and take PTOs. Great work-life balance

Cons

Not a good choice if you want learn new things and improve yourself