Citizens Financial Group

Updated 17 December 2014
2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you are a branch employee; branches are severely understaffed (in 22 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Pleasant place to work

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits are top notch when in the right incentive payout plan. Company pays for majority of accreditations needed (Notary, Series Licences, etc).

Cons

Movement or forward mobility is tough, don't wish for a raise and be happy about the amount.

Need long-term management turn around time way too short. I personally went through 3 managers in a 1.5 year period.

Salve work for min pay

I worked at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

If you like to sell you can move up from within

Cons

Minmal pay
    Awful hours
    Poor management
    PTO restrictions

Better Choice of management

Teller

Current Employee - Teller in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment flexibility work life Balance

Cons

tough goals lack of communication boring at times

be more realistic

Very Flexible, Team is great to work with

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is a very flexible, casual environment. The people are very nice and approachable; even the leadership shows interest in all the colleagues. They are all very enthusiastic about the work and customer while keeping it a great place to work.

Cons

They are going through a tough transition, have had a lot of layoffs and putting an emphasis on contract work vs. FT employees. Hopefully it will level off soon

Teller

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Providence, RI (US)
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Providence, RI (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, Customer Oriented, personal growth, good management, friendly

Cons

advancement is slow process, it is difficult to transfer to a different department

Great hours, amazing people

Former Employee - Teller in Malden, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Malden, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Holidays and weekends off in some branches

Cons

Pay could be higher.
    Training is quite boring and long

Make training fun

High expectations with no support

Former Employee - Banker I, Teller Manager
    Former Employee - Banker I, Teller Manager

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security (for branch employees), excellent resume item.

Cons

Exhaustive hours, unrealistic goals, berating for things out of employee's control, nepotism, lack of confidentiality when giving feedback, no support/safety from management or the company w/ hostile customers, rewards to customers for bad and abusive behavior, threats to your employment when "negative" things are talked about or you want to give feedback, excessive micromanagement, expectation to compromise ethic for the sake of making a sale, branch managers lie to staff to serve their interests (time off policies, goals, ethics & practices, scheduling, etc).

There is no consistency from branch to branch, both in the treatment of staff and operational policies. Employees and customers are confused and frustrated because nothing is streamlined or maintained. Unethical practices are rampant to make sales... I witnessed more than my fair share of illegal activity to keep numbers up. I was lied to about time off policies so that I wouldn't take vacation and leave the branch understaffed. My job and schedule was threatened when I expressed my displeasure with a specific policy, and HR was no help at all. As a customer, I was taken advantage of in multiple ways, and as an employee I was beat-down and not supported at all, even when customers were flat-out physically abusive in my branch (throwing objects at me). I didn't feel safe or supported, and management was only out for themselves. I left under duress, and would never go back.

What once was great...is now sad and defeated

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

Citizens was once a strong community bank and its best asset were the people. This is still the case - although there are very few of them left.

Cons

All of benefits have been stripped down to bare bones. HR "spins" that these cuts are to make the company competitive. The salaries are far below marketplace and if you are interviewing make sure to ask about the percentage they have paid out the bonuses over the last few years. Over the past few years this has become a really sad place to work. It is unfortunate as there are some good people still there but most of the people who are ambitious and A Players have left. If you are interviewing be very wary and make sure you probe on the morale and leadership of the department you are joining.

Banker: Unrealistic goals, no accountability, no upper managment support from regional managers, constant fear of termi

Former Employee - Banker
    Former Employee - Banker

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience and benifits. Learned a lot but also learned not to trust anyone at all which is depressing

Cons

No support, HEAVILY micro managed, constant threats of termination, unrealable goals, terrible IT, very cutthroat and hostile. Back office is terrible and loan department drops the ball all the time making your job much harder. Never had proper staffing and regional managers dont treat you well or support you. Very unethical company

Get off your aristicratic high horse and help the people who make your job possible! Stop ignoring the bankers who are trying hard. Also stop micro managing! Trust your people to do the right thing! Quitting was the best thing I ever did. This job makes you a smoker!

Know what you're getting into

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance, benefits, customer service, easy systems to navigate

Cons

Expectations are too high, there isn't enough help from management, personal growth is difficult to achieve, favortisim

Higher ups tend to ignore teams except for the branch management. It causes a sense of isolation and fosters a mindset in which employees think they're thoughts do not matter. I have witnessed many colleagues reach out to various levels of management for help regarding their jobs/expectations/products/etc., and never receive a response. Reinstate the Manager In Training program to allow for colleagues who are interested in following that career path a place to learn what is expected and how to set course for their future.

Citizens Financial Group Photos