Citizens Republic Bancorp

Add Photos

Citizens Republic Bancorp President, CEO, and Director Cathy Nash

Cathy Nash

Not very challenging work

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Republic Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees were generally friendly, compensation was good for the geographic area (Flint, MI), and there were fun events taking place from time to time.

ConsManagers were more likely to hire their former colleagues from other banks than to promote from within, so it was somewhat discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should focus more on development of talented employees and providing opportunities for career development. Most of the managers I saw hired were from other banks. Most career movement in the bank seemed to be lateral.

Tried to be new school, but they had too many oldschoolers running things

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Brighton, MI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp full-time for more than 3 years

Prospositive atmosphere, long time clients bring a homey atmosphere

ConsThey were very nonsales oriented until the 2000's. They tried several different systems that didn't seem to work. Upper management was just too old school.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees based on merit and how much profit they bring to the company, not on how many widgets they sell

Typical bank

Banch Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Republic Bancorp full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to have a positive affect on customers, the community and employees.

ConsUnrealistic loan goals and micromanagement.

Great Management, Great learning opporunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Republic Bancorp

ProsTraining, Growth opportunities, Management listens and uses your thoughts,

ConsPay, strict, busy work, All minimal cons overall great company

Wish I was still there

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Citizens Republic Bancorp full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat hours and good benefits

ConsPay freezes and old computers

Advice to Senior ManagementList to the staff - suggestions

Great Work Life Balance!!!

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat schedule and work life balance. Not a big corporation like some of the other banks so not a ton of micro management. Good amount of paid time off and treated very respectfully.

ConsIncentive is not as agressive as I thought especially for how sales oriented they want us to be.

It has been stressful, overwhelming and unsatisfying.

Client Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
Ypsilanti, MI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp

ProsClients are friendly and the contests are enjoyable.

ConsTravel for meetings an hour away is rediculous.

Very Employee Friendly.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Jefferson, WI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp

ProsThe Training process is second to none! The Trainers are also great ppl! I really love that they really do listen to their employees thoughts. When you do good things they dont go unnoticed!

ConsThey have cut back on raises. And made it more difficult to reach incentives. It is very hard sometimes to reach goals or complete all of your weekly sales stuff when you are only part-time. They limit their full-time employees and hire mainly part-time staff. Which is very sad considering the great things this company can do.

This company treats its managers with a very condescending tone.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp

ProsIt is a place to work. That is about the best thing I can say. There are some very good people who work for Citizens but management is a mess.

ConsThey say they want people with sales backgrounds and then have managers with zero sales experience micro-manage the sales process. No CRM program exists so they require a series of Excel wooksheets to do the job. Very in efficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people sit on the floor and speaking to them as if they were 4 years old. Whoever came up with that idea needs to go. It does nothing but make people feel disrespected and breeds resentment. The message is lost because everyone is thinking, "Why are we sitting on the floor?" If you want people to behave professionally treat them professionally.

Citizens, a Challenged Survivor

Vice President (Current Employee)
Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Citizens Republic Bancorp

ProsManagement has sought to create a vision of a company that it has genuine aspirations to become. It believes in doing the right things from a credit perspective and John Schwab is one of the best credit minds that I've ever worked with. I believe the company will be a survivor of the current credit environment.

ConsIn this environment, communication has been very poor. Staff members disappear without any formal announcement of their departure, informal communication is rampant. We're based in a market that has/will see a deep recession and slow recovery. That side of our work isn't a great deal of fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify a vision for Citizens that is robust enough to be valid in this environment and will remain so during the eventual recovery. It is difficult to have faith when you're told that a dividend cut is enough to help us weather the storm, then that we must eliminate the dividend to avoid having to raise capital, then to raise capital anyway making "our balance sheet bullet proof", then taking TARP funds to add even more liquidity. While each of these moves may have been necessary and good, it makes it difficult to believe that senior management knows what we need. Create the vision and proactively drive the company toward it, rather than being so reactionary.

Worked for Citizens Republic Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Citizens Republic Bancorp reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Citizens Republic Bancorp CEO Cathy Nash. All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by Citizens Republic Bancorp employees.