Civil Service United Kingdom

Updated 23 July 2014

3.1

Civil Service United Kingdom Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood
Sir Jeremy Heywood

Interesting and challenging work with responsibility, in flexible conditions

Current Employee - Statistician  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Statistician in London, England

Pros

Good balance of interesting, varied work. Sensible working conditions. Recognition of skills over grade always staff to use own initiative.

Nice atmosphere at the office, with plenty of down to earth support.

Cons

Bad organisation and a lot of inconsistencies and changes make delivering on long term projects difficult. More time spent talking than doing. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether the work done is good or otherwise. Not enough evidence used.

Some people do not do enough, some do too much.

Speak more often, outside of big meetings, to junior members of staff working on the details of projects if you want to understand the problems.

Moving in the right direction but the pay is not fair.

Current Employee - Executive Officer  in  Basildon, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Executive Officer in Basildon, East of England, England

Pros

Moving towards better customer service, new initiatives are starting to become more bespoke rather than a one shoe fit all culture. Flexi-time and leave is excellent!

Cons

The business continues to want more and more out of its staff, without paying a fair wage for it, this used to be counter-balanced by good pensions, but now again we are expected to work longer, pay more and get less. The appraisal system if rubbish and unfair, if you have an elite team, line managers will not recognize all of them as top performers. They want to stay in their quota's and not go into the moderation meetings to demonstrate that all deserved the top mark.

Make your staff feel valued, tell the world how good we are. Counter attack unfair bad media coverage and in turn public perception, with positive good news stories rather than continuously supporting the negative by ignoring it .

Civil Disorder

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

Job security and annual leave allowance.

Cons

Removal of front line staff and poor customer service especially to the most vulnerable client group, pensioners.

Quality not quantity required. We have adopted call centre mentality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The traditional civil service culture is fast turning into a private sector experience, minus the pay!

Former Employee - Executive Officer  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Executive Officer in London, England

Pros

Flexible working opportunities are popular (unless you work in private or press office). A culture exists where people feel pride in their work which is positive to see despite the negative points made by the public and media. A good sense of camaraderie amongst civil servants.

Cons

A place where change is very slow. Many elements of the civil service are losing their values as they morph into a private sector machine (following greater influence of ministers and people eager to please top management) - examples include elements of indirect bullying and harassment particularly of junior grades. The team spirit is being diluted as people are becoming more individualistic in outlook and behaviour in order to 'stand out'. Following the redundancy programme, a lot of relatively young and inexperienced people were promoted to jobs they're unqualified for particularly with management skills and they are very defensive against constructive criticism. Many permanent secretaries have left the civil service for the private sector and those who have replaced them fail to provide a challenge function to ministers and they keep a lower profile due to the reduction in staff morale.

Be more open to criticism and change which junior grades wish to see. Stop double standards - junior people are not allowed to undertake secondments or further education whereas senior people or the elite fast streamers are given these opportunities. who then end up eventually moving onto more 'lucrative' careers in the private sector. Invest in your junior and BME employees. Stop the cliquey culture of people having to fit into a certain group - at the moment its the only way to secure a promotion as no one hires people they dont know or are not connected to in some way. Make the recruitment, pay and appraisal process more transparent.

Works well for employees, but not necessarily for the state

Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7  in  London, England
    Current Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 in London, England

Pros

Good benefits for individuals, plenty of promotion opportunities. Work-life balance is also good in most teams, although there is a working culture which is counterproductive to this in the areas seen to be 'high achieving'.

Cons

Too many people moving sideways or upwards all the time. Particularly at a higher level within the organisations. Values of teams are not always aligned with best practice for evidence based policy.

Require minimum terms for senior civil servants in each position to allow continuity

The people I work with are lovely but we don't get told important information

Current Employee - Support Officer  in  Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Support Officer in Portsmouth, South East England, England

Pros

The pros are the people I work with and the fact that my current job is building my confidence ready for applying for promotion.

Cons

We didn't get told recently when new people joined our department. I still don't know if they are permanent additions or not. Promotion prospects seem remote as there keep being freezes on recruitment.

There needs to be more openness. We've been told we don't need team meetings as we will be told if there is anything we need to know yet two people have joined in the last week and I don't know the first thing about it. I would also feel more motivated if there was a realistic prospect of getting promoted - there seem to be very few opportunities. The people I know who have been promoted have been lucky.

Okay, but the Old Boy's Club Stereotype still relevant as ever.

Current Employee - Project Support Officer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Project Support Officer in London, England

Pros

The canteen is rather good, and the job is as secure as you can get.

Cons

Unfortunately, in my part of the Civil Service, the perks of being a permanent member of staff is being eroded by the Culture of the Contractor, who are on vastly inflated rates, thinking that because they have fixed hours, and are not permitted home working, or any other benefits which permits an inclusive working environment, then neither should anyone else. The number of contractors on one of our sites, where a lot of jobs are being relocated to cut costs, negates and wipes out any saving made. There are "permanent contractors" who are obsessed with making themselves indispensable by refusing to share or train people... ironically, in some cases that was the sole purpose of their appointment. I am constantly undermined by my line manager, who uses my resources to carry out tasks meant to be carried out by other business areas, and not caring about the work they are supposed to do, yet berates us for not carrying out the tasks we were meant to do promptly. I work on average 60-75 hours a week, but this is not reflected in my pay.

Embrace modern working practices, and don;t be afraid to gt rid of deadwood.

Started off well

Former Employee - Administrative Officer  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer in London, England

Pros

Stability, working together for the good of the country. Annual increases in wage, pension.

Cons

Poor career advancement, vulnerable to systemic harassment and discrimination within independent departments

Management incompetence and bullying covered up by HR

Former Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7  in  London, England
    Former Employee - CIVIL SERVANT - GRADE 7 in London, England

Pros

A commitment to public service and delivering good quality work at G6/G7 (B1, B2) levels and a professional and co-operative working environment at these grades.

Cons

Unnecessary levels of costly administrative middle management at more senior grades, where incompetent managers have been 'promoted out of the job they can't do' and a management attitude supported by HR to suppress and bully any individuals who question such hierarchies.

Order a thorough review of bullying (past and present), remove SPADs from the civil service pay roll, and review the wasteful and expensive procurement of suppliers and services using over-priced private companies like Capita and G4S.

Good job ruined by Central Government cuts and not being able to listen to people "in the front line and on the ground".

Current Employee - County Court Bailiff  in  Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - County Court Bailiff in Portsmouth, South East England, England

Pros

Pension benefits and working conditions.

Cons

Too many staff cuts whilst the workload is ever increasing, unlike the wages.

Get a grip and listen to your subordinates, they don't always have the wrong idea(s) !

Worked for Civil Service United Kingdom? Contribute to the Community!