Civil Service United Kingdom

Be The First To
Add Photos

Civil Service United Kingdom Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood

Sir Jeremy Heywood

Great people and motivating mission

Civil Servant - Grade 7 Technical (Current Employee)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking with great people. highly talented and motivated by a mission that serves the country, without trying to maximise profit.

ConsAs in many big organisations, the bureaucracy can be a bit overwhelming, and alongside the highly motivated, talented staff, there are a few oxygen thieves.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig programmatic governance works for solving some kinds of problems, but not as many as you think. Don't smother talent and innovation with PRINCE2 and MSP.

Varied and of two extremes - good and bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- working on policies and topics which affect the nation
- sense of prestige and history pervades
- fascinating insight into how decisions are made by Govt of the day
- strong team spirits between peers & colleagues (but lost between hierarchical grades)
- flexible working hours and generous annual leave entitlement

Cons- inflexible hierarchy
- nepotism: many instances where people would be hired as temps then given permanent positions after 6 months (following HR changes)
- promotions based on favouritism (informal coaching given to preferred candidates)
- poor people management skills by team leaders (cliquey groups who do not like being challenged)
- opaque performance appraisal systems esp when determining who was awarded a bonus and why
- inconsistent perks - only fast streamers and senior staff at team leader level and above allowed on secondments & career breaks
- training budget focused on high-flying graduate fast streamers
- low pay & constant protrayal of negative image from media/politicians/public

Advice to Senior Management- stop politicising civil servants
- focus on upskilling civil servants by sharing training across other govt depts to save costs
- stop pandering to political elements and be proud of challenge function, which has been sadly diluted
- have a more visible and proactive group of senior civil servants/permsecs who actively engage with their departments
- do more to retain top talent, most are leaving out of fear the constant negative portrayal of their profession is limiting career prospects in the future

An employer that practise what government preaches

Chief of Staff (Current Employee)
London, England

ProsFlexible working, the opportunity to take your career in new and unexpected directions, good access to training, generally good terms and conditions.

ConsKnowing that whatever you do will never be good enough for some opportunistic politicians and sections of the media. The current pay freeze, changes to the pension and revised terms and conditions have all reduced the benefits of working in the civil service, without any compensating improvement elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your higher salaries and immunity from many of the changes coming let you stop fighting to defend your staff and the value of what we do..

Flexi flexi

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time

ProsFlexi time is the largest positive, pay is lower than equivalent positions in private sector and culture is much more laid back than in private sector

ConsPay is a significant con and there are always strikes related to this and the public sector. It is hard to justify over paying employees with public money.

Good committed people, a good work/life balance and you're working for the public good

Regional Head of Emergency Planning (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking for the public good. Committed, intelligent colleagues. Good work life balance. Excellent holiday and welfare support benefits.

ConsOver-centralised. Little opportunity for rapid promotion unless on one of the various 'Fast Streams'. Weak management of poor performers. Trying to keep up with the latest fad from politicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly de-centralise and empower mid/senior managers. Use 'mission tactics' not soviet style command & control management.

Civil Service Life

Higher Executive Officer (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

ProsAs secure an occupation as likely these days. Levels of continuous change are extremely high which can be exhausting but also very challenging and gives opportunities to progress with the experience. Terms & Conditions are relatively good and most departments are very flexible and supportive.

ConsWork loads are far higher than non Civil Service imagine and DWP in particular has very high demands on productivity and always seeking more.
Salary was good once and comparable with many other employers but there is very little rewards and no bonus structure - public view is Civil Servants are underworked and overpaid so bonuses are a crime!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more - don't pretend and then do what you want anyway - staff need to be engaged to bring out the best.

Exciting for a first timer but just as exciting when leaving...

Policy Official (Former Employee)

I worked at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGet to see how the Government really works and how much of the work carried out is actually done by you. Great holiday benefits and flexible working patterns.

ConsVery structured and grade dependent so exposure to higher level work at times limited. Rewards and pay always dependent on Government budgets.

Civil Service

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom

ProsCommon sense of purpose arising from public service
Fair and meritocratic
Management go out of their way to make staff feel valued and consulted
Some of the brightest people I've met.
Participating in key news headline issues.

ConsPoor pay
Management need to lead as well as empower/consult
Bureaucratic and political
Muddled management structures

Advice to Senior ManagementLeading is as important as getting buy in from the staff.

civil servant uk

Civil Servant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat atmosphere, kind, knowlegeable and helpful people

Consthe only con I can think of is the lunch hour sometimes got extended.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

Compelling mission and good conditions

Civil Servant - GRADE 7 (Current Employee)

I have been working at Civil Service United Kingdom

ProsBenefits excellent: Flexi time, great training opportunities, easy to move into or out of part time, professional subscriptions paid, etc.
High levels of responsibility at all levels.
Mission makes the difference. You are often making a real difference to the country and its people.
Lots of intelligent people can make it a stimulating environment to work within.

ConsYou'll not get rich, financially at least. Salaries are fair (especially at graduate entry and high grades) though not too competitive in between, especially for IT specialists.
Can be quite bureaucratic, with particular ways to get stuff done.

Worked for Civil Service United Kingdom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Civil Service United Kingdom reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Civil Service United Kingdom CEO Sir Jeremy Heywood . All 12 reviews are posted anonymously by Civil Service United Kingdom employees.