Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "You get a great employee discount because they want u to wear the merchandise"
    in 28 reviews
  • "fun to intereact with kids through earpiercing, good discount 50% off"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 27 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Its an okay temporary job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsYou have nice coworkers and its easy to trade shifts. Its a very fast-paced environment, so the hours go by quickly

ConsA 30 minute lunch break after you have been there for 5 hours. High Turnover. Sales associates rarely stay longer than 4 hours. The teach you really sneaky tactics of "upselling". If someone is looking at something simple like nail polish, they teach you to walk up to them, grab three more, tell them how lovely the extra ones are and just dump them in the customer's bag. You upsell at the door, upsell on the floor, and always upsell at the register. If you don't do this and the store has a "Secret Shopper", you will get in trouble with the corporate office. Also, a sale's associate should not be piercing your daughter's ears. We are have very minimal training. Take them to a reputable piercing shop. A piecing gun is used to pierce ears (Which is not reccomended) and its just wiped down with a Clorox Wipe after each person. I was just an 18 year old piercing hundreds of people's ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the stores to have more full-time associates. Their hour cutting tactics are very sneaky.

Fun place to work , not enough help from district managers

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe discount , great place to get started in retail and learn about core customer service values

ConsToo much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone. You rarely take a break when your supposed to again bc of lack of hours . If you trip to reach out to a district manager you would usually get zero help .

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to train new hires , understand that we are the ones stuck in a store for 8 hours alone with no break so if we need to stop and take a sip of water you can't punish us for that

Don't Work Here

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discount decent compensation. The customers are amazing and I love the work itself.

ConsManagement has to LIVE in the stores. No, home life.
- No payroll to work with company allocates payroll with no sense of the business.
- Its hard to keep a good well trained staff when you can only offer associates 10hrs per week(w/countless on-call shifts) at some point.
- Separation between Corporate and the Field
- Corporate seems to hand out directives by the seat of their pants
- Corporate doesn't give field enough time to plan & set events. Store closes at 9pm, associates are scheduled for 10pm and Corporate would send directives(ie. window change, sale markdowns, mini floor-set changes )via email the day that it needed to be set prior to open of business the next day. It is one thing if it happens once in a while but it takes place 1-2 times per week.
- Marketing is constantly changed confuses customers along with associates. Its as if corporate changes their minds daily. And not enough time or people to get it done in their time frame.
- Wrong marketing sent to stores
-Constant in-store corporate visits which starts to seem pointless since they don't take store feedback or either chooses to ignore field suggestions.
- Customer return system is HIGHLY INEFFECTIVE. Its time consuming and the thieves have a field day exploiting its many flaws. UPGRADE THE SYSTEM. We are giving money away that can be used in store(hours for the store)

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on your stores... Don't just take a dm's word for it we are required to break labor break laws.. Give more payroll hours. You will have more loyalty, honesty and less of a turn over rate.

Babysitter

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiscount, work with some great people

ConsHigher ups think they are better than you, look down on you and are very condescending. You are expected to have no life if you work ft for them- you can not go to school, work another job or have any outside activities.

Go Elsewhere

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
Towson, MD (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsPiercing people
50% off discount
Fun music

ConsCrappy Pay
Crappy hours
Crappy managers
Crappy customers

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that you have hard workers, give them a raise. Especially when they take over as acting manager until you find a replacement, and THEN train the new manager for you.

Great to work when young

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores

ProsGreat discount and customers were friendly

ConsDM is very rude, yells, and unprofessional

Fast paced company and extremely rewarding!!

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

ProsGreat discount! Great customers! If you are willing to work hard you can be extremely successful!

ConsVery demanding and at times can feel under-appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive thanks to you team more often!

Unrealistic expectations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores

ProsHigh discount. Good medical benefits. Dressy casual dress code. Piercings tattoos and weird hair accepted. Good management experience. Good place to express yourself at work.

ConsEverything there is micromanaged, down to scheduling. Eventually, your third keys will find out that you have no power in giving out write ups. Got told to go *expletive* myself after she informed me she would not be there for her scheduled shift and I was told by my DSM that HR said to give a verbal warning. But one slip up as store manager is grounds for firing because of having to set an example.

Sales goals for lower volume stores are very unrealistic, which lowers morale. Our store won ADS awards and EP awards for our district and still missed plan by 11%, for which we get penalized.

Stop forcing DSMs to constantly be away from stores. I didn't see my DSM (who I actually liked) for 4 months because she was constantly being told to open new stores etc.

Communication is poor. My store had a disaster that was grounds to be closed and was told to stay open though we had no customers all day. Pointless.

Money money money. Greedy company with lower end pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and realistic. Trust and back your managers. We're on the front lines and are being thrown to the wolves. You're biting the hand that feeds.

a work place with no challenge at all

Third Key Holder (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros-no stress
-don't get tired easily
-get to learn how to do piercing
-less annoying customers
-full of kids
-good store discounts

Cons-old computer system
-management knows nothing if computer goes wrong
-the store I worked has 2 managers with poor managerial skills

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade that super old and slow computer system to make associates life easier
and train managers and assistant managers well which includes their friendliness to employees and customers

3rd Key

Third Key (Current Employee)
Bowie, MD (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou have the title of assistant manager.

ConsYou don't get paid the assistant manager salary.
They over work you with little pay.
You basically run the store with little help.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay!

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 245 reviews are posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.