Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros:
  • "You get a great employee discount because they want u to wear the merchandise"
    in 28 reviews
  • "fun to intereact with kids through earpiercing, good discount 50% off"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look"
    in 27 reviews
  • "SCANDALOUS upper management (including a certain District Manager for Illinois District 6"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Still haunting me after I quit

Third Key (Former Employee)
Canton, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee discount is 50% off most things, job is easy enough to learn, piercing ears is fun (if you're into that) and if you work in the right store, most shifts you work alone.

ConsNo breaks if you are staffed alone, promised enough hours to survive on but are rarely scheduled to your availability, stores are cluttered and packed too tight with merchandise that breaks almost instantly, raises are not paid on time, have to call corporate to ensure you are paid appropriately. W-2's are not mailed out until last possible minute and good luck getting employee relations to help you, IF they even return your call!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing your staff to upsell add ons! If people wanted crappy nail polish they'd buy it! Focus more on engaging customers than forcing junk down their throats. Stop replenishing shipment with every single item sold every time. Every Claire's I've been in has too much stuff and not enough room to move without knocking stuff over!

Terrible!

Key Holder (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM (US)

Over staffed
Poor pay
No benefits
Poor hours
Very low standards for management
They do not advance within the company they hire outside the company

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more time for training. Allow more time for sign changes and P.O.G. High volume stores need the hours to do certain things in the store

I had a great time working at Claire's.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsThere was a lot of help from management to assist you in doing your best job possible. They are interested in employee growth.

ConsThe company wants to be fashion foreward, but their dress code has restrictions that inhibit ones ability to be on trend.

Advice to Senior Managementrelax on the dress code

Great comfortable work place

Third Key (Current Employee)
Fairfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros-Flexible hours
-great manager
-Great store discount for employees
-Easy open/close
-Fun store
-Easy work
-No heavy carrying
-You get to pierce ears!

ConsThere is not a lot of room for growth like any retail store. The pay scale is not that generous but it is alright. It can get busy at times during certain times and their is a lot of responsibility for the closer.

Dishonest Upper Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Claire's Stores as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIn my experience - none. Unfortunately, I cannot leave zero stars as an overall rating.

ConsHired for several freelance projects. An incredible amount of work - always out of scope additions without additional pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould pay your vendors. After three well received projects, my fourth was cancelled. I put a significant amount time and work into it, invoiced and was never paid. I emailed the CMO of the company at the time twice and sent a hard copy of the invoice - no response and no payment. Small amount for a company their size - but as a freelancer - who could not take on another projects because I was committed to Claire's - it was very dear.

Claire's Stores rocks!!!

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

ProsAwesome small company to work for, I had the feeling that I owned my little shop

Consneeds media interactive sort of thing

Advice to Senior Managementget an App

Good Management Experience

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Coon Rapids, MN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the variety of duties in being the assistant manager. Piercing ears, talking with customers all day and having good co-worker company along the way. We generally shared tactics together on preventing theft and assisting each other in meeting sales expectations. We also through children birthday parties that were exhausting but very fun.

ConsLots of stress if at a slower store (meeting sales goals), Lots of stress at busy stores (too much to do, too little time).

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any. My district manager who is no longer with the company was amazing, along with my store manager.

Don't get comfortable

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsWork around your schedule, great people to work with, discount is awesome, they sell nice things, anddd that's it

ConsLittle hours to give (3 hour shifts) , they want soo much done in a little bit of time and low pay rate, we get 7 boxes of shipment ( of little items) on an average day and it needs to be process before the day is over, home office goes on vacation so if I need them ur out of luck

Advice to Senior ManagementEasy just ask to be a manger and you will get trained

Horrible company to work for...

Third Key Holder (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsGood employee discount (50%).

And that's it. But the jewelry or anything you get there will break within a week. So there's really no point in wasting your money.

ConsToo much expected of employees in the amount of time they're given to complete the many tasks in only one shift.

Poor paychecks for how many tasks and responsibilities you're expected to take on by yourself.

Third-Keys have it worst of all. You're treated like an Assistant Manager. (Even according to their company, the definition of a Third-Key Holder is a part-time management position.) But you're paid like a Sales Associate, barely above minimum wage. But you're expected to basically run the store, and sometimes completely by yourself... especially closing shifts on the weekends. All of the responsibilities and expectations that are put on management, but no benefits and the pay rate does not match up.

Catty, high school-like behavior in the back room. Too much gossip and back-biting.

Left in the store alone for hours at a time. No break. No going to bathroom or getting to eat.

They do monthly "PM and AM Visits"... a Store Manager or your District Manager spies on you while you open and/or close the store by yourself. Then they surprise you by the door when you're about to leave (or open the store), and take you back inside to review everything you did. I've worked 3 retail jobs before this one and I'd never heard of this practice before. Very weird and personally invasive if you ask me.

Corporate favoritism. A new District Manager was brought in, so then he brought in a new Manager In Training... she then proceeded to talk about all of us and spread lies to other employees and to our Store Manager and District Manager. -- Corporate will probably never know about this seemingly petty stuff... but it actually turns into real serious problems. It gets employees hours cut down to nothing and results in them not being able to pay rent or eat. And this is not just me. It happened to two other girls at our store, before me. All because people have personal agendas and will step on anyone they don't like just to get ahead.

Claire's does not care about its employees whatsoever. They only care about money. No family values, either. They refused to let me go home to see my family in another state for Christmas. Even though we had a full staff. It's just crappy tween jewelry. I don't see why it was life or death if I left a week for Christmas when we were fully staffed and I was the only one whose whole family lives in a different state.

Working for this company seemed great the first couple of months. But once I settled in, I realized how volatile it actually is there.

Loved Co-workers Not too fond of the company itself

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsActive and fun atmosphere - Lots of events and things to keep the store from getting too boring and mundane.

Great co-workers (most of the time) - I think that's pretty explanatory

Lots of cute and fun merchandise

ConsConstantly wearing down the staff - The store can get pretty crazy but with limited staff and hours it can be very stressful. One person can't handle all the task on their own.

If something isn't exactly as wanted by the DSM, the whole store gets hounded for it - One thing is to give constructive criticism but to demean and belittle staff is something I don't care for very much. (not saying all stores are like this but this is from my experience)

Expectations - sometimes the expectations are almost impossible.

Suggestions sometimes go unnoticed or ignored but are requested often.*
  - Recently saw a change in this area

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to those stores that need it.
I understand stores need to reach goals but their are ways to do it without putting people on the chopping block for all to see especially when a lot of young individuals work there.
Take the advice from those who work for you

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Claire's Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding. All 246 reviews are posted anonymously by Claire's Stores employees.