Claire's Stores

Updated 19 August 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunities

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

The shop floor is fun, the politics less so.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great theme days in store.
    Good staff discount

Cons

Ridiculous expectations by upper management.

Frequent lone trading, with only 1 other member of staff working just a 4 hour shift with you. In this you are expected to deal with delivery, serve customers, replenish the store, and ear pierce. It's completely unrealistic.

No support from management. They do not care about you at all.

No full time hours unless you're management. They will hire sales assistants on 4 hour contracts, and key holders usually get 12 hours. This leads to a high turnover of staff, especially key holders, who are essentially management without any of the benefits or job security.

With such a high turnover of staff, you often have new staff unable to ear pierce or do duals, leading to huge issues with customers. Not to mention, they pierce babies from 4 months old, completely money grabbing and unethical company.

Hardly any opportunities to advance in your career.

NO overtime pay! Minimum wage and nothing extra for bank holidays or working overtime!

Huge issues with theft, there are no security measures in place and ridiculous policies that mean we are unable to do anything.

Stop treating your staff like they are expendable. If you invest time, training and decent hours into us, we will perform much better. You have huge customer service expectations of us, do not expect this to happen along with everything else without decent hours or staff.

They don't care about the staff

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England

Pros

- Good Discount
    - No Uniform

Cons

- Managers need training on how to treat their staff.
    - Really low pay even for key holders
    - Low hour contract (usually 4) but expect you to work whenever they like.
    - Managers used hours as a reward and punishment scheme.
    - They don't care if you have other commitments to education, you're expected to care more about your job.
    - Very catty environment, felt like everyone was out to get eachother. There always had to be a problem with one person.

- Train your managers how to treat staff.
    - Pay more
    - Don't hire part time staff in education and then expect them to care more about the job.
    - Stop with the over the top customer service.
    - Stop the dress to sell, I wouldnt want to buy products that had already been worn by someone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most dead end job with some power hungry idiots running it

Pros

Hometime and some of the staff

Cons

Give out warnings and disaplinarys unneccessarily

Stop lying and Move on

Worst and animalistic treatment and Claires

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

Pros

Discount was good, hours could be excahnged

Cons

Poor higher management, District managers from HELL. From Monday to Thursday there are only two people on the shop floor, who have are expected to do customer service, ear piercings, mark downs, boxes of delivery, take breaks (even those you can't some times) and lots of UNPAID hours!!! Unethical company

Stop treating your employees as animals

Only for the money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

Pros

Meet great people, discount is okay.

Cons

Sales assistants get no appreciation, too many hours, unfairly treated, looked down on. Really bad pay for what we do.

Pay rise, spend money on alarm systems and security, not on a waste of packaging in delivery.

Ok place to work

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!