Claire's Stores

Updated 29 January 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely appalling! Appalling treatment of staff

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount but the products are cheap and nasty

Cons

Expected to drop everything to work extra hours, extremely difficult to get any time off, days off change at a few hours notice, dress to sell is gross - socks I had to wear for Christmas went back out to customers, extremely unhygienic and revolting. Training isn't sufficent. Appalling attitude towards staff.

Get your act together, this is the 21st century and staff are treated with no respect whatsoever, I was bullied and victimised in the work place and left very stressed and upset.

No opportunities

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

The shop floor is fun, the politics less so.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great theme days in store.
    Good staff discount

Cons

Ridiculous expectations by upper management.

Frequent lone trading, with only 1 other member of staff working just a 4 hour shift with you. In this you are expected to deal with delivery, serve customers, replenish the store, and ear pierce. It's completely unrealistic.

No support from management. They do not care about you at all.

No full time hours unless you're management. They will hire sales assistants on 4 hour contracts, and key holders usually get 12 hours. This leads to a high turnover of staff, especially key holders, who are essentially management without any of the benefits or job security.

With such a high turnover of staff, you often have new staff unable to ear pierce or do duals, leading to huge issues with customers. Not to mention, they pierce babies from 4 months old, completely money grabbing and unethical company.

Hardly any opportunities to advance in your career.

NO overtime pay! Minimum wage and nothing extra for bank holidays or working overtime!

Huge issues with theft, there are no security measures in place and ridiculous policies that mean we are unable to do anything.

Stop treating your staff like they are expendable. If you invest time, training and decent hours into us, we will perform much better. You have huge customer service expectations of us, do not expect this to happen along with everything else without decent hours or staff.

They don't care about the staff

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Discount
    - No Uniform

Cons

- Managers need training on how to treat their staff.
    - Really low pay even for key holders
    - Low hour contract (usually 4) but expect you to work whenever they like.
    - Managers used hours as a reward and punishment scheme.
    - They don't care if you have other commitments to education, you're expected to care more about your job.
    - Very catty environment, felt like everyone was out to get eachother. There always had to be a problem with one person.

- Train your managers how to treat staff.
    - Pay more
    - Don't hire part time staff in education and then expect them to care more about the job.
    - Stop with the over the top customer service.
    - Stop the dress to sell, I wouldnt want to buy products that had already been worn by someone.

The most dead end job with some power hungry idiots running it

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hometime and some of the staff

Cons

Give out warnings and disaplinarys unneccessarily

Stop lying and Move on

Worst and animalistic treatment and Claires

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount was good, hours could be excahnged

Cons

Poor higher management, District managers from HELL. From Monday to Thursday there are only two people on the shop floor, who have are expected to do customer service, ear piercings, mark downs, boxes of delivery, take breaks (even those you can't some times) and lots of UNPAID hours!!! Unethical company

Stop treating your employees as animals

Only for the money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Meet great people, discount is okay.

Cons

Sales assistants get no appreciation, too many hours, unfairly treated, looked down on. Really bad pay for what we do.

Pay rise, spend money on alarm systems and security, not on a waste of packaging in delivery.

Great Company with lots of room to advance.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, and 401K.
    There are many opportunities to advance at the store level. As a Store Manager, I quickly went from SM, to SM Trainer, to Acting District Manager, to District Manager.

Cons

You have a very limited staff, which makes it difficult to take vacation and personal time. Also, due to the limited payroll hours you are given, many times your store will be left with one person running it. This makes it difficult to balance freight, customer service, and store presentations. As a district manager, it is challenging to follow up on tasks given to stores, in such a high pressure market. Unless you are very well liked by corporate, in certain situations you could find yourself in hot water.

About what you expect for a minimum wage job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out in retail. The work itself is not difficult, with the excepetion of ear piercing.

Cons

Management was always a total wreck. Never had the store together, had favorite employees they partied with, etc.This is obviously a location by location issue, but as I also worked for the sister company Icing, the issues were much the same. Young managers caring more about their personal life than the store they managed. Not much room for advancement within the store.
    I believe employees should be better trained for piercing ears. While I picked it up quickly, we had many poor piercers come through.

Claire's Stores Photos