Claire's Stores

Updated 18 September 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunities

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

The shop floor is fun, the politics less so.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great theme days in store.
    Good staff discount

Cons

Ridiculous expectations by upper management.

Frequent lone trading, with only 1 other member of staff working just a 4 hour shift with you. In this you are expected to deal with delivery, serve customers, replenish the store, and ear pierce. It's completely unrealistic.

No support from management. They do not care about you at all.

No full time hours unless you're management. They will hire sales assistants on 4 hour contracts, and key holders usually get 12 hours. This leads to a high turnover of staff, especially key holders, who are essentially management without any of the benefits or job security.

With such a high turnover of staff, you often have new staff unable to ear pierce or do duals, leading to huge issues with customers. Not to mention, they pierce babies from 4 months old, completely money grabbing and unethical company.

Hardly any opportunities to advance in your career.

NO overtime pay! Minimum wage and nothing extra for bank holidays or working overtime!

Huge issues with theft, there are no security measures in place and ridiculous policies that mean we are unable to do anything.

Stop treating your staff like they are expendable. If you invest time, training and decent hours into us, we will perform much better. You have huge customer service expectations of us, do not expect this to happen along with everything else without decent hours or staff.

They don't care about the staff

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good Discount
    - No Uniform

Cons

- Managers need training on how to treat their staff.
    - Really low pay even for key holders
    - Low hour contract (usually 4) but expect you to work whenever they like.
    - Managers used hours as a reward and punishment scheme.
    - They don't care if you have other commitments to education, you're expected to care more about your job.
    - Very catty environment, felt like everyone was out to get eachother. There always had to be a problem with one person.

- Train your managers how to treat staff.
    - Pay more
    - Don't hire part time staff in education and then expect them to care more about the job.
    - Stop with the over the top customer service.
    - Stop the dress to sell, I wouldnt want to buy products that had already been worn by someone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most dead end job with some power hungry idiots running it

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hometime and some of the staff

Cons

Give out warnings and disaplinarys unneccessarily

Stop lying and Move on

Worst and animalistic treatment and Claires

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount was good, hours could be excahnged

Cons

Poor higher management, District managers from HELL. From Monday to Thursday there are only two people on the shop floor, who have are expected to do customer service, ear piercings, mark downs, boxes of delivery, take breaks (even those you can't some times) and lots of UNPAID hours!!! Unethical company

Stop treating your employees as animals

Only for the money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Meet great people, discount is okay.

Cons

Sales assistants get no appreciation, too many hours, unfairly treated, looked down on. Really bad pay for what we do.

Pay rise, spend money on alarm systems and security, not on a waste of packaging in delivery.

Claire's is a fun environment to work in but it gets tiring after a while.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things you acquire from Claire's is maturity and personal growth due to all of the responsibilities they leave you with. Starting pay for a third key holder was a bit above average and the employee discount is great!

Cons

District managers aren't the best, very demanding but not very helpful. Although starting pay is good, raises for hard work aren't really given. The amount of vacation time given to the employees who are not managers sucks.Corporate does so many promo changes too frequently and it becomes stressful for employees.

With the amount of responsibility each employee has I believe that raises should be given every so often to all employees who show good progress.

Fast-paced and Fun Retail Atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tupelo, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my co-workers were like one big family, for inexperienced associates the pay was better than minimum wage, as long as we requested off enough in advance the time was granted, nice employee discount, good communication built between store associates and district manager

Cons

The store gets very busy at time while being the only one working, the inventory scheduling as well as some planograms went over-night for the asm and sm, a lot of shoplifting, piercing ears of kids who do not want their ears pierced is awful, the pos system frequently was frozen and we were ordering new hardware (printer, credit card machine, etc..) every other week, and as asm I would would some 8 hour shifts alone with no relief for a break

The scheduling could be approved all around. There were not enough hours given to schedule efficiently. I would find myself staying over-night working on plan-on-gram, mark-downs, and inventory. Sometimes to keep from going over on the clock, but in order to get things done the manager and I would stay on our own time off the clock so that we could get things done that we couldn't during the day due to customer traffic. We were also not given enough hours to schedule breaks for those working 8+ hour shifts. I would sometimes work a 12 hour shift without a break due to the few employees we had there since we were limited on hires.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Conroe, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have

Love & Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hour week, as a store manager you get paid overtime if you work over 40 hours, Fun environment, upper management paid well, company values, vacation time, sick time & personal time, most holidays off.

Cons

High volume=low payroll, 40 hr wk, because you get paid overtime if you work more than 40 hr, if you are busy with customers then you can't stay to work more to finish tasks, unless you are off the clock which is a no no.......

give your store more payroll, I know if had more time to schedule more overlapping coverage besides the weekends, then we wouldn't fall behind so easily.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!