Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy(in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look(in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone(in 28 reviews)

The shop floor is fun, the politics less so.

Third Key Holder (Current Employee) London, England

ProsFun atmosphere, great theme days in store.
    Good staff discount

ConsRidiculous expectations by upper management.

Frequent lone trading, with only 1 other member of staff working just a 4 hour shift with you. In this you are expected to deal with delivery, serve customers, replenish the store, and ear pierce. It's completely unrealistic.

No support from management. They do not care about you at all.

No full time hours unless you're management. They will hire sales assistants on 4 hour contracts, and key holders usually get 12 hours. This leads to a high turnover of staff, especially key holders, who are essentially management without any of the benefits or job security.

With such a high turnover of staff, you often have new staff unable to ear pierce or do duals, leading to huge issues with customers. Not to mention, they pierce babies from 4 months old, completely money grabbing and unethical company.

Hardly any opportunities to advance in your career.

NO overtime pay! Minimum wage and nothing extra for bank holidays or working overtime!

Huge issues with theft, there are no security measures in place and ridiculous policies that mean we are unable to do anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your staff like they are expendable. If you invest time, training and decent hours into us, we will perform much better. You have huge customer service expectations of us, do not expect this to happen along with everything else without decent hours or staff.

They don't care about the staff

Third Key Holder (Former Employee) Milton Keynes, England

Pros- Good Discount
    - No Uniform

Cons- Managers need training on how to treat their staff.
    - Really low pay even for key holders
    - Low hour contract (usually 4) but expect you to work whenever they like.
    - Managers used hours as a reward and punishment scheme.
    - They don't care if you have other commitments to education, you're expected to care more about your job.
    - Very catty environment, felt like everyone was out to get eachother. There always had to be a problem with one person.

Advice to Senior Management- Train your managers how to treat staff.
    - Pay more
    - Don't hire part time staff in education and then expect them to care more about the job.
    - Stop with the over the top customer service.
    - Stop the dress to sell, I wouldnt want to buy products that had already been worn by someone.

The most dead end job with some power hungry idiots running it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHometime and some of the staff

ConsGive out warnings and disaplinarys unneccessarily

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and Move on

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst and animalistic treatment and Claires

Third Key Holder (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDiscount was good, hours could be excahnged

ConsPoor higher management, District managers from HELL. From Monday to Thursday there are only two people on the shop floor, who have are expected to do customer service, ear piercings, mark downs, boxes of delivery, take breaks (even those you can't some times) and lots of UNPAID hours!!! Unethical company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees as animals

Only for the money.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

ProsMeet great people, discount is okay.

ConsSales assistants get no appreciation, too many hours, unfairly treated, looked down on. Really bad pay for what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay rise, spend money on alarm systems and security, not on a waste of packaging in delivery.

Not a flexible Company to Work with

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEasy work/task, little supervision, don't have to work off of comission

ConsWorking every single weekend fri & sat, no exceptions, little pay, little room for growth

Great place to work if you don't mind the kids

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey promote within and is often encouraged if performance is consistent.
    Great potential for Bonus during Christmas season. Employee discount is half off almost everything except piercing.

ConsDifficult to maintain school and work schedule if in management. 80 percent of the time, work schedule is priority over requests again if in management. Sales associates have more flexbility in their schedule but is dependent on the black out periods. Unrealistic deadlines are set for Plano grams in high volume stores over and over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonthly training or seminars would be great for managers to maintain company image.

They Expect A lot for Very Little

ProsWorking with great people
    Great discount
    Easy dress code

ConsWorking alone frequently
    Piercing ears (no extra pay and you have to juggle other tasks during piercing)
    Management is very involved (there are pm visits and the DM often emails expecting response and sometimes use of texts to interact)
    No breaks (good luck if you are a human being who occasionally eats or pees)
    Monthly planogram changes/markdowns/ect
    Busy work
    Customers/normal retail gripes

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect so much from us. Let us have five minutes of downtime! Also, let us have some incentive for piercing...like putting out a tip jar or even giving us an additional discount on top of our employee discount. ANYTHING
    Also, if you combined icing and claires you could keep the same staff, save on retail space costs, and not have us on single coverage so often/have lower shrink
    Just my opinion...

Good for a first time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThis is a wonderful first job to have. You learn a lot about customer service and how to keep a store organized. They have one of the best employee discounts I've ever heard off which was 50% off at the time. There is no such thing as training. They just showed me a video while I sat on the floor and then they just showed me how to work the register and that was it.

ConsThere are no benefits, at least for sales associates there aren't. There is a lot of work to do and you have to keep moving even when there is no one in the store. There is always something to do. The pay is not great at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your sales associates more. They're the ones that do all the work.

I grew to really like it!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsFun atmosphere, great manager and people to work with.

ConsSingle coverage, stressful workload,

Advice to Senior ManagementMore sales floor coverage please!

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!