Claire's Stores Reviews

398 reviews filtered by
2.5
Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

1. No opportunities

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

2. Horrible.

Current Contractor - Supervisor
    Current Contractor - Supervisor

I have been working at Claire's Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The staff in the shops are tolerable, 50% discount but only on the Claire's own stuff.

Cons

I currently work there but I'm desperately looking for another job! The pay is atrocious, they constantly under pay me. Also, Monday to Friday there's only 2 people in the store all day to do everything, including customer service, replenish stock, sort and put out delivery, reads, all the paper work that needs doing out in the back, using the tills and ear piercing. It's ridiculous when it's busy and you've got a double piercing that needs doing and people waiting at the till and there's only two of you. The other week we had to shave hours so it was just me and one other in on the Saturday of Easter weekend, it's safe to say neither of us had a lunch break and it ended up with people shouting at us for not being at the till when we were doing baby and child piercings, it's ridiculous. Not to mention the 4 times a year we have planogram sand have to stay into the night sorting out the shop, other companies have a special team come in and do it, not their staff who then have to work the next day. Everyone apart from SM and ASM are on 4 hour contracts which means people like me, the 3rd key have no fixed hours which means I have no constant flow of money, even though I am a trained supervisor I get paid the same as the sales assistants and I put in so much extra work. Another thing is, for example, on days I open and close, I have to be there from 8-6:30 in order to be able to sort the tills and paper work before the store opens and after the store shuts, but I'll only get paid 9-6, the opening hours, which means I'm working an extra 1h 30mins a day that I won't be paid for. It's a horrible company, they have no ethics, no morals and absolutely no respect for their retail workers whatsoever. The DSMs are awful and fake people too.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out, pay us more, I'm on 5.15 an hour, that's not enough, get some morals, build some ethics.

Tired of being ignored!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to meet new people, Have a laugh with the security staff and get on better with them than the actual staff!

Cons

I was supposed to be trained up to be a 3rd key but I havent even started it!!!! I havent even been fully trained to be a piercer... Rotas are always changed... My old manager went to another store and now I have a new manager in but she has only been there for a short days which isnt her fault due to personal problems. I work with a member of staff that could be bothered and Im getting tired of being told how to dress, have my make up and hair!!! I know first impressions count but when you are completely changing a persons image to suit yours then Its a joke!!! I use to feel really amazing when working at my store... I now want to leave and I dread going in cause I always get told off for wearing something wrong (Even though I follow the "uniform" Guidelines!!!) This place is really making me depressed!!! Im just building up the courage to hand in my notice cause I will be completely unemployed but I would rather be unemployed again than have myself destroyed in more ways than one!

Advice to Management

Start to really investigate your smaller stores as we are the one being neglected!!!

5. No support for staff !!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff discount
    Great customer interaction

Cons

No support from Dsm or management
     Lone trading for 12 hours on my own
    Treated badly
     Not enough pay !

Advice to Management

Please look after your staff !
     After spending over 7 years of my life working for your company I was treated like dirt, no respect for your staff

6. Absolutely appalling! Appalling treatment of staff

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount but the products are cheap and nasty

Cons

Expected to drop everything to work extra hours, extremely difficult to get any time off, days off change at a few hours notice, dress to sell is gross - socks I had to wear for Christmas went back out to customers, extremely unhygienic and revolting. Training isn't sufficent. Appalling attitude towards staff.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, this is the 21st century and staff are treated with no respect whatsoever, I was bullied and victimised in the work place and left very stressed and upset.

The shop floor is fun, the politics less so.

Current Contractor - Third Key Holder in London, England
    Current Contractor - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great theme days in store.
    Good staff discount

Cons

Ridiculous expectations by upper management.

Frequent lone trading, with only 1 other member of staff working just a 4 hour shift with you. In this you are expected to deal with delivery, serve customers, replenish the store, and ear pierce. It's completely unrealistic.

No support from management. They do not care about you at all.

No full time hours unless you're management. They will hire sales assistants on 4 hour contracts, and key holders usually get 12 hours. This leads to a high turnover of staff, especially key holders, who are essentially management without any of the benefits or job security.

With such a high turnover of staff, you often have new staff unable to ear pierce or do duals, leading to huge issues with customers. Not to mention, they pierce babies from 4 months old, completely money grabbing and unethical company.

Hardly any opportunities to advance in your career.

NO overtime pay! Minimum wage and nothing extra for bank holidays or working overtime!

Huge issues with theft, there are no security measures in place and ridiculous policies that mean we are unable to do anything.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff like they are expendable. If you invest time, training and decent hours into us, we will perform much better. You have huge customer service expectations of us, do not expect this to happen along with everything else without decent hours or staff.

8. They don't care about the staff

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Discount
    - No Uniform

Cons

- Managers need training on how to treat their staff.
    - Really low pay even for key holders
    - Low hour contract (usually 4) but expect you to work whenever they like.
    - Managers used hours as a reward and punishment scheme.
    - They don't care if you have other commitments to education, you're expected to care more about your job.
    - Very catty environment, felt like everyone was out to get eachother. There always had to be a problem with one person.

Advice to Management

- Train your managers how to treat staff.
    - Pay more
    - Don't hire part time staff in education and then expect them to care more about the job.
    - Stop with the over the top customer service.
    - Stop the dress to sell, I wouldnt want to buy products that had already been worn by someone.

9. The most dead end job with some power hungry idiots running it

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hometime and some of the staff

Cons

Give out warnings and disaplinarys unneccessarily

Advice to Management

Stop lying and Move on

Worst and animalistic treatment and Claires

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in London, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount was good, hours could be excahnged

Cons

Poor higher management, District managers from HELL. From Monday to Thursday there are only two people on the shop floor, who have are expected to do customer service, ear piercings, mark downs, boxes of delivery, take breaks (even those you can't some times) and lots of UNPAID hours!!! Unethical company

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as animals

11. Only for the money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Meet great people, discount is okay.

Cons

Sales assistants get no appreciation, too many hours, unfairly treated, looked down on. Really bad pay for what we do.

Advice to Management

Pay rise, spend money on alarm systems and security, not on a waste of packaging in delivery.

Claire's Stores Photos