Claire's Stores

Updated 11 December 2014
2.4

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for developing experience

Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun products and good employee discount. I had so many responsibilities in this job that it helped me in getting an even better position in another company with a higher pay.

Cons

Upper management is extremely critical. If you're hired as a 3rd key you have all the manager's responsibilities but none of the benefits. It's also hard to move up in the company. There is also a lot of theft so you have to do loss prevention as well. It was quite stressful working there but the real reason I left was because it didn't matter how hard I worked it never was appreciated by upper management.

Be more generous with your employees and offer them a better bonus. Also, it kills morale when the DM leaves angry voice mails for the entire district. If 8 out of 10 stores didn't pass their secret shops do you really think that leaving everyone a mean voicemail is going to inspire them to do better? If you treat your employees as equals rather than lording it over them you will probably have better output from them.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount that makes it easy to buy their products. Once in a while you get to meet some sweet recurring customers and great coworkers. I have learned about how to run a store and deal with all types of people. This has greatly improved my customer service skills and management abilities.

Cons

Trying to advance has been difficult. Asking to be put on a development plan is like pulling teeth. I've been put in charge of the store several times including acting manager for another store. But just can't seem to get made into manager of my own store. It makes it hard to like this company. They have unrealistic goals at times with too many tasks to complete while still asking you to make sales plan and just focus on customers.

Stop expecting miracles. Not everything can always be done on time. Not all sales goals can be met. Make sure your district managers are actually capable of running a district and understand how the store/company works. People new to the Claire's life usually don't fully understand what it's like to run a store because they are always hired from outside the company. That is your downfall. If you hire from inside the company it will tend to succeed.

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

A wonderful self building experience. Great company for individuals attending school.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount on all product offered. Great work experience as there is a lot to b done by individuals each and every shift. Even though it is a retail accessory store it is not commission based in any way! Small group of staff makes it easier to be friendly with one another, and have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Only management receives full time hours for most stores. Bonuses are 100% based on sales goals for a 13 week period instead of monthly like many other companies, and is only given to ASM and SM's. (likewise inventory bonuses). The only way for team members to move up is if they either move for openings or if hire management leaves.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

It was Sucky.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50 % off employee discount was good. It's the most I have ever gotten before. And the dress code is fun.

Cons

I hated the management. The amount of sign changes are ridiculous. Way too many. Soo much tedious product. Just no.

Claire's Stores Photos