Claire's Stores

Updated 24 January 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed piercing and being around customers. You also get 50% off which is great.

Cons

Really pushy with up selling and my store manager was horrible at keeping employees informed with schedule changes.

Work on individual store productivity

Unappreciated

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great customers, love the kids. Great discount at both Claire's and Icing. DM is the best manager I ever had, she cares about her whole team, unlike those above her. My team is great.

Cons

Upper management (above DM). High expectations, large workload with unrealistic time lines and little payroll to get it all done in. Corporate visits are very fake. Territory VP doesn't say a word to me or my staff and we bust our butts every day in our store. Whirlwind visits of moving fixtures, leaving a mile long list aND then leaving without talking about business, numbers or as much as even a THANK YOU for all your hard work. Unappreciated, insulted and underpaid.

Don't "talk" about how much you appreciate stores and then when you visit them you destroy their self confidence by how rude and condescending you can be. Take more time to develop staff and say "What can I do for you" instead of telling us what you need us to do for you.

Terrible management, good pay and annoying kids.

Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Citrus Park, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Citrus Park, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working here I got the chance to run the store by myself, pierce ears and have wonderful conversations with the little girls that came every other day. (Not in a creepy way)
    50% off merchandise
    Pay was great! 9.15 hr

Cons

They don't work with your schedule
    If it's a small store you are by yourself most of the time.
    Working with tons of shipment every day.
    Terrible work ethics
    Management worked towards her benefit instead of company benefit. You had to spend more than $20.00 in order to buy anything from the store.

Store managers don't work with you're schedule and treat you like you're stupid. They take Saturdays off and overwork third keys.

Kahlia W. - Former Employee

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great atmosphere, great staff and customers!

Cons

There aren't any cons really.

Good starter job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small store easy to pick up on everything, great job while in college

Cons

Not a good job to have full time. My checks were constantly shorted. Management wasn't upfront about the amount of pay, or bonus given. Too much work for too little money, and you mostly work the store alone, so no breaks on an 8hr day.

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Regional Manager and store manager team. Company car and gas.

Cons

Not enough payroll for stores, difficult getting approval to pay potential employees and/or existing employees a competitive wage for the work that they are required to do. Floor changes are excessive and not enough hours are allocated to complete correctly, without sacrificing customer service standards. Out dated training materials. Excessive contests that are not really motivational to the store teams,

To corporate office: invest time (payroll) to allow district managers to truly develop the store managers, who, in turn, can develop their teams. Source ideas from the field to help develop field teams.

A job for someone in High School

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

The discount is 50% off. If you like to stand around doing nothing then you'll like it. If you want very few hours then you will like it.

Cons

The schedule is made to benefit the store, not you. You will find yourself coming in the middle of the day for four hours. You will get ridiculous schedules: 19 hours a week divided into four days. Such a waste of time. The most hours I have ever gotten was 23. But it will range from 10 hours to about 15. If you are closing at 6:30pm you must do all paperwork, vacuum the entire store, recover, throw out the trash, count down the drawers, and deposit the money at the bank. You must be done by 7pm. They will only pay you until seven. Our bathroom has roaches and we have to eat in a closet. I have worked 8 hours with no break. They do not pay you for break. This whole company sucks.

Pay your employees right. Allow more hours. Give paid breaks or at least a space to eat.

Was fantastic until managment changed.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic 50% off Claire's and Icing. Theme Weekends you get an additional 10% off. Any precious metals, CDs, magazines, and ear piercings with 14kt gold you only get 25% off. No store discount on top of sale prices but awesome clearance events ($2 clearance / $5 handbags) and some great normal promotions.

Cons

The company itself drags its feet on situations. Very small staff 5 people in a store at the least and that is 4 managers (Store Manager, Assistant Manager, and 2 Third Keys) and one sales associate. Asking for days off is kind of tricky, store manager gives days off to the person she is closest to even though you requested the day off two weeks in advance. Management does not work with other work schedules. District as a whole needs to be staffed better. Get calls from stores ALL the time for coverage at another store. When you work at another store you should get paid mileage but you aren't even offered. Unrealistic goals sometimes for sales and personal goals. Having a perfect ADS is all everyone is worried about.

Awful company

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount...not much else to get out of working there.

Cons

Tiny space and too much shipment means the store or stockroom is always a mess. Extremely low pay...as a key holder I made 50 cents more than sales associates that made minimum wage & I did the same amount of work as the assistant managers. Your schedule will change at the last minute, the customers are often rude and high volume stores get wrecked on a nightly basis. All the stores in my area lived in fear of the district manager who expected more than was even possible from part time poorly paid workers. High turnover rate. I lasted 5 months

Treat employees better

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling while I was in college.

Cons

Compensation was on par with others, but promotions were tough to come by.

Claire's Stores Photos