Claire's Stores

Updated 26 September 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

The worst job i've ever had

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% off but even then its overpriced low quality acccessories

Cons

Theres no training. At all. And you're expected to pierce ears (babies and young children included). No incentive to pierce. Ridiculous deadlines for planograms, markdowns. Closing is a real pain. Lots of paperwork and make sure not to take longer than the allocated time (which is hard when you're not getting any training), you won't get paid for the extra time. They give you on calls shifts (good luck making plans). DM are bullies, they will show up anytime and will expect you to suck up to them . . If you don't you can be sure she'll tell your manager. They have fabourites, if you're not one of them anything you do won't be good enough. Store is understaffed (it seems they can't retain their employees for some reasons) and the workload is way too high considering the barely above minimum wage. Not enough payroll, they will cut your hours. Or give you too much when an employee leaves (which happens frequently). High employee turnover. Low standards. They will hire you as a keyholder as long as you're over 18. They want you to stalk and harass customers constantly into buying while they're shopping. Yet again, no incentives. The company is so unorganized, the list goes on and on.

Too much drama and no management in sight

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a good job to get your foot in the door in regards to retail. They teach you to up sell, make customers relations and actually work for your sales. When you work hard it actually shows and you can take pride in that.

Cons

Was pretty much told that I can be replaced at anytime but someone younger, cuter and would take less pay. The mangers (regional and store) couldn't care less about in store problems. Such as assistant managers acting the part of managers, stealing sales from other associates sales, gossip, harassment (both sexual and mental).

My suggestion to management would be to listen to your employees when they come to you in confidence with a situation. Not to tell them to get over it and do your job.

Retail is Retail

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is always changing, you're always getting new customers so theres always new people

Cons

The amount of work they expect based off the pay is horrible, Your store manager and DM don't care about you much.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

A love hate relationship

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pay great benefits and holidays

Cons

Where do I start, too much tasking no matter how much you get done it's never enough. Horrible management treat you like crap and no matter how many Times you ask an upper level person to help they never do

Treat people to treat how you want to be treated

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

Poor place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, which helps, considering the jewelry will start to turn brown/green after a few times wearing it.

Cons

There is no real training and the district manager wants to micro-manage and play favorites. There is no expectation of uniformity throughout the district. The goals and expectations are usually highly unobtainable and the amount of work expected from one individual is impossible.

Having district managers that are very self-involved and critical does not help grow sales and strong leaders.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

"For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Claire's for a year and a half. I started as a sales associate then I got promoted to key holder. The discount is good, and that's about it.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. If you want to work here then prepare to do all the work while the managers do nothing.

Assistant buyer

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

No pros what so ever. I would never work here again, even if I was paid a million dollars. Don't ever work here.

Cons

Worst company ever. No growth. No training. Technology is old school. Everyone looks out for themselves instead of working as a team.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Spends way too much money on upper management instead of efficient technology, training programs, and keeping employees long term.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!