Claire's Stores

Updated 24 January 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

n/a

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great employee discount on merchandise.

Cons

You have to work alone most of the time.

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Started as good company became worse after 2011

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pretty okay medical, good employee discounts, meet lot of different people and fun to be around the kids.

Cons

They care nothing about there employees that been with the company for years. They overly pressure you, and the pay is horrible for what they expect from you. The raises are horrible 25 cents or less every year. They hire outside of company instead of giving those who have worked for the company for years a higher position

Learn to develop your employees who been with the company for year's instead of treating them like crapm

Awful

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Cute merchandise great discount, helping people

Cons

Regional manager sucks, not enough hours for what is expected of the company, they don't have the best ear piercing station

Stop treating employees like animals

Learning Experience

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes of retail and move up within the store team if you are a hard working individual.

Cons

High employee turnover in stores, low allocation of payroll hours and poor work-life balance for salaried members of management.

Good for developing experience

Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun products and good employee discount. I had so many responsibilities in this job that it helped me in getting an even better position in another company with a higher pay.

Cons

Upper management is extremely critical. If you're hired as a 3rd key you have all the manager's responsibilities but none of the benefits. It's also hard to move up in the company. There is also a lot of theft so you have to do loss prevention as well. It was quite stressful working there but the real reason I left was because it didn't matter how hard I worked it never was appreciated by upper management.

Be more generous with your employees and offer them a better bonus. Also, it kills morale when the DM leaves angry voice mails for the entire district. If 8 out of 10 stores didn't pass their secret shops do you really think that leaving everyone a mean voicemail is going to inspire them to do better? If you treat your employees as equals rather than lording it over them you will probably have better output from them.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Puyallup, WA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount that makes it easy to buy their products. Once in a while you get to meet some sweet recurring customers and great coworkers. I have learned about how to run a store and deal with all types of people. This has greatly improved my customer service skills and management abilities.

Cons

Trying to advance has been difficult. Asking to be put on a development plan is like pulling teeth. I've been put in charge of the store several times including acting manager for another store. But just can't seem to get made into manager of my own store. It makes it hard to like this company. They have unrealistic goals at times with too many tasks to complete while still asking you to make sales plan and just focus on customers.

Stop expecting miracles. Not everything can always be done on time. Not all sales goals can be met. Make sure your district managers are actually capable of running a district and understand how the store/company works. People new to the Claire's life usually don't fully understand what it's like to run a store because they are always hired from outside the company. That is your downfall. If you hire from inside the company it will tend to succeed.

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

A wonderful self building experience. Great company for individuals attending school.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount on all product offered. Great work experience as there is a lot to b done by individuals each and every shift. Even though it is a retail accessory store it is not commission based in any way! Small group of staff makes it easier to be friendly with one another, and have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Only management receives full time hours for most stores. Bonuses are 100% based on sales goals for a 13 week period instead of monthly like many other companies, and is only given to ASM and SM's. (likewise inventory bonuses). The only way for team members to move up is if they either move for openings or if hire management leaves.

Claire's Stores Photos