Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros:
  • "Good people, good properties, may be sold to a better company soon"
    in 12 reviews
  • "It is a great place to learn about broadcasting business"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing"
    in 17 reviews
  • "No merit increases; not even a cost of living increase is given to the employees"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good internship experience

Promotion Team - Intern (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

ProsI spent a summer as an intern for a local radio station and it was an amazing experience. Office environment felt professional, but relaxed.

ConsWhile I enjoyed my internship, I don't think it added any real value to my resume when looking for full-time job post graduation.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider compensating promotional interns and giving them more responsibilities to apply to the real world.

Best place I have ever worked, most of the time.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

ProsThe People are wonderful, I have never worked with a more family like culture.

ConsBig corporate layoffs are the norm, and usually come around Christmas! Yikes!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! They are your greatest asset!

They were the biggest of the big during the time radio was king

GENERAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for more than 10 years

ProsMarket Leader with a national footprint of stations

ConsWent private and tried to cut their way back to profitability. It did not work. They lost too many dedicated people.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can never go back to what radio was. Times have changed.

meh....

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

ProsThey paid me on time and were flexible with scheduling. They gave us free food periodically

Consnot a lot of opportunities to move within the it organization and very limited room for advancement.

Golden Age Long Gone

I have been working at Clear Channel for more than 10 years

ProsConcert Ticket access, backstage events, co-workers, meeting listeners.

ConsPay, too much corporate control, lack of local content, generic radio that lacks any personality, little to no hope for any raises. Having worked for the company for more than a decade now, have seen a lot of changes. Thanks to the likes of Ryan Seacrest most stations just air pre-taped generic talk sessions. Eliminating any kind of local content or the ability for DJ's to play music, let alone requests. Larger markets aren't as bad but your supposed to follow a national playlist. This has killed the ability for DJ's to introduce listeners to new music and artists that aren't from the Pop Factory. Forced to lie to callers "Sure thing I'll get that on" is repeated by all. Pay is incredibly unfair. Nobody in our markets has gotten any sort of raise in over a decade. Yet more work is being expected as staff dwindles. General opinion of those part of upper management at the main office is low due to the "less is more" creed. We pay you less and expect you to do more. Meanwhile Ryan Seacrest pulls in Millions. Advancement? Doesn't exist. People only put up with the treatment due to current fear in the marketplace, being the only reason this treatment of employee's is tolerated. Avoid at all costs, Cumulus is probably better.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the lack of care, I know already whatever advice I would enter, they wouldn't care one ounce about and that is the pathetic truth.

Experience if a lifetime

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for more than a year

ProsFun people and meeting celebrities

ConsThe low wages and disorganization among teams

Great environment but too much corporate control.

Accounting Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers. Relaxed workplace with lots of opportunity to learn and friendly management.

ConsCompensation is many times non-negotiable and low. Little room for official advancement. Company is quick to lay off positions and delegate their workload to others without the raise in pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for advancement and reward for hard work and accomplishments.

Overall a decent place to learn but don't expect great advancement opportunities

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay and benefits were certainly fair for the market size. Almost every corporate PD or Brand Manager I worked with did take an interest in my station (things it was doing right and areas that needed improvement), despite having to manage several markets and stations.

ConsCorporate PD's did take an interest, but feedback is coming from someone flying at 60,000 feet (take it with a grain of salt).
Being a yes man is definitely valued here. Pushback isn't always welcome, especially the lower on the food chain you rank.
Demands are high with no great advancement opportunities - mainly because everything is being consolidated. If you're looking for cookie-cutter radio where you can just blend in and not make a difference - you'll be fine here. But flying under the radar will only get you so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the opinions of the men and women who push buttons, answer phones - the ones who really are the boots-on-the-ground, face of the radio station. It's sometimes the "button pushers", interns, and people who do the day-to-day "grunt" jobs who can provide you with some of the best perspective. Remember where you started in this business. Don't lose sight of that. Sure it's about ratings and revenue, it's a business after all... but are you cultivating a culture of creativity?

Great internship if interested in radio or promotions.

Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

ProsLoved working here. Great internship experience

ConsThere was no pay - but as to be expected as an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. I had a positive experience

Had a great time as a promotions intern

Promotions Intern (Former Employee)
Miramar, FL (US)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for less than a year

ProsI personally enjoyed my internship at Clear Channel. I was able to create social media posts and participate in concerts, meet-and-greets, and more. Seeing Ellie Goulding 5 feet from me was nothing short of incredible.

ConsAt least at the branch I interned at, you could tell it took a while to move up in the company. This made me question whether it was a company I would consider as a potential employer once I graduated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great (but unrealistic in the media/entertainment space) if you could pay your interns minimum wage.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clear Channel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman. All 327 reviews are posted anonymously by Clear Channel employees.