Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close(in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing(in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management(in 7 reviews)

Worst Company Ever

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsThe people at this company are great.

ConsEverything really. This is the cheapest company on earth, very bare bones. No mileage expense, no expense account, no nothing. All commission is horrible and leads to high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on successful merchant campaigns --- if a radio campaign works they'll come back, if not, they won't.

For whatever reason this never crosses anyone's mind and it's an absolute afterthought.

Explain to the DJ's that they don't get paid without the sales team. Stop being so difficult and help the merchants that are paying your paycheck succeed in their campaign.

Over promise and under deliver

Account Executive (Current Employee) Burbank, CA (US)

ProsThey have so many assets to sell. There's something for every client which makes a sales job seem much easier. Having iHeartRadio is a huge asset as many people don't know the name "Clear Channel." They give 2 weeks paid vacation, sick days, medical/dental/eye benefits, 401k, and life insurance.

ConsNo flexibility in schedule. There is zero, i repeat ZERO, training. I know sales. I don't need to be trained in sales. But they promised the best training for a month before I hit the phones/streets, a guarantee before the draw kicks in, a mentor, and an independent workplace. I got NONE of that. In fact, I'm micromanaged. How can you micromanage an entrepreneurial position?

I was also denied training on many occasions and cannot expense anything besides mileage without permission first.

Many times I cannot attend my own company events and when I do, I get the worst seats in the house. They treat employees poorly which hinders employee moral. Managers clearly have their favorites and alienate and humiliate employees they no longer want on their teams until they resign or get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick out the bad apples in management. They are hurting your bottom line and you're losing talented AE's. Also, you're losing business and straining client relationships as a result.

bad management

Manager (Former Employee)

Proslots of good people at my job place.

Consupper management. Managers not from or in your market making blanket decisions that negatively effect your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on sales and how to increase numbers there. Stop pretending you know what you are doing. Let the local stations and managers make decisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promotions Intern during college

Promotions Intern (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsA fun work experience promoting media and entertainment for a major corporation.

ConsInternships are unpaid. Even without pay, there should be a considerable amount of learning experience offered and full-time employees do not put a focus on giving that to college interns.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Loans are due, so employees must be let go. Doesn't matter how hard they work.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAbility to be creative. Good Co-workers. Sometimes enough money to complete a project

ConsPeople are laid off like a bodily function. Chaotic management. Some people work hard, some have friends in higher places.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to figure out a profitable business plan for each division. Learn what people do before you lay them off

Employees mean absolutely nothing to CC and you can be cut loose at any time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people with whom you work are likely the best part of the job, if you can avoid getting involved in gossip and other workplace nonsense.

ConsManagement. Salary. Benefits. Pretty much everything about the compensation from this company stinks. Additionally, management does not value its employees and will stop at nothing to cut positions from each market. Morale is incredibly low. People are looking over their shoulders daily, worried about losing their jobs. Not a healthy place to work.

Clear Channel Radio News Anchor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot much to say other than a steady, but small paycheck.

ConsWorst company I ever worked for. Low pay, no advancement opportunities, no raises. Not even a Christmas card. Nothing but a paycheck with no praise or appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage people and treat them like you care!

Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge organization so you get decent benefits

ConsManagement in the Cincinnati office is lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you get a good manager in a department do everything you can to keep them.

A place for the Pro-Active Indidividual

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsIf you want to work in a relaxed and laid-back environment, this is a good place to do so. If you are a person who prefers working by yourself, this is the place for you.

ConsAs an intern it is hard to find a place for yourself among your superiors. You are expected to be a "self-starter" but there weren't any resources provided to do so. By "resources" I meant that we were limited to the things we were exposed to. Your best bet is to find a mentor that will take time outside his/her schedule to work with you. The employees are very unprofessional and there is a lack of concern for the well being of their interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not want to hold the whole Clear Channel Inc. accountable for my dissatisfaction because I interned for one part of the company. I interned at the Atlanta office and my experience was subpar. Management needs to consider creating an actual program for interns, with the goals clearly set out. Frankly, I did not gain much experience with this company.

My experience at Clear Channel was AWESOME...

Producer, Board-Op (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsI worked with some of the greats in radio and televison. I leaned a lot about the the industry as an intern and as an employee. There were perks such as meeting celebrities on a daily basis, getting free concert tickets and free access to clubs.

ConsThere weren't many who were wiling to help your grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your hard working interns a little more.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!