Clear Channel Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.9

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely Corporate, Extremely difficult to get promoted

Former Employee - National Sales Support  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

If your looking for low pay and super 9-5 then this job is for you. You didn't have to take your work home with you.

Cons

People who sucked up and brown nosed to management got promoted. Even with the promotions, the pay is horrible.

The company has an incredible array of computer sales tools for their salesforce -- just no good management

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company has an incredible website which offers every sales tool, proposal, creative ideas, marketing plans imaginable. However, they have no human managers that know how to manage or know how to treat their team. They are usually too busy trying to climb up the corporate ladder. Middle to lower management is pathetic. They are more of a social club than a management team.

Cons

Once you become successful, they will take away your accounts in order to give them to those that are not doing well. Clear Channel demands so many salespeople in each territory, and good ones are hard to find. Instead of offering a training base salary, they take accounts away from the rest of their team to feed the newbies. There is no way to get ahead. They also continue to change the compensation rules, making it difficult to do what is right for the client. Instead, you are having to force a new product on the client instead of doing what is the right thing to do for the clients' businesses. These products are called a new cutting edge "initiative", designed to make Clear Channel money.

If you have gotten too caught up in trying to please Clear Channel and lost your sense of self or dignity, it is time to rethink their game.

The "Walmart" of Radio

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard working co-workers, decent properties, name recognition, proactive promotions, stations usually get results for client. Generous access to research and data. Employees are bonded together in an effort to survive, not thrive. As crazy as it sounds, I sometime miss the dysfunctional ways of the place.

Cons

The saying that "bad things run downhill" is the best way to describe the place...there is no filter for the ineptitude that Senior Management displays everyday. Automation and elimination of most of the sales team will be the end result of this cost cutting, short sighted, stock holder focused organization. Employee spying is commonplace - including the new test program that tracks employee emails to advertisers and agencies to track open rates, time spent with proposal, forwards etc. Health benefits are weak, "bed checks" for salespeople is common. Erratic behavior is the norm for management because it's based on what strings the head puppet wants to pull that day.

Please sell the company. You knew that buying Clear Channel was a bad decision in the first place, heck, you even tried to back out of the purchase before the deal closed. Please sell the company to an operator that believes in customer service, advertiser results and a quality product. You are obviously NOT a company with these ideals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As an intern, it's been a fulfilling experience.

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone within the company is friendly and interested in teaching me something. I would definitely recommend taking this internship if presented with the opportunity.

Cons

Other than the technology at the office I haven't encountered any serious cons. Since I do work online it'd be nice to have a faster computer, but it's not that big of a deal.

Steady paycheck

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

Steady paycheck, good people. They really try to keep us happy but the pay will stay the same unless you're upper management

Cons

Nowhere to grow, repetitive job. The pay is as good as the day you got hired, don't count on them giving you a raise.

Sales people seem to be treated better than others.

Extremely smart, positive employees

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for less than a year

Pros

The fun, vibrant culture that is based upon the culture of others. Really supportive work environment, and creative peoples

Cons

Navigating the corporate culture can be tricky at points, due to org's size

Offering professional development opportunities more frequently would be a smart investment~

I loved working for Clear Channel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

They are very forward thinking in their approach to business. I LOVED my senior managers and really enjoyed working with my staff.

Cons

They make frequent employee cuts and put that work on to those that are left. I felt like nobody's position was secure regardless of how well they did their job.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Marketing/Promotions Intern  in  Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing/Promotions Intern in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One-on-one training, flexibility, variety of tasks

Cons

Was not compensated as an intern

Production Intern

Current Employee - Production Intern  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Production Intern in Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You get to do a lot of cool things and meet a lot of celebrities

Cons

Sometimes the work can be a little boring as it's the same tasks every day

Have better options for hiring on after internship! Part time with no guaranteed hours and at min. wage is crazy.

Work hard and be rewarded. Lots of opportunity to grow.

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

Job flexibility and great commission. Cool people.

Cons

You have to pound the pavement or you won't get paid. Pretty simple.

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!