Colgate-Palmolive

Colgate-Palmolive Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Colgate-Palmolive Chairman, President, and CEO Ian M. Cook

Ian M. Cook

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, good management if you are paired with a good mentor"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Great benefits and still has some great people there"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Difficult to maintain work life balance and no shedding of dead weight"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Decision making by consensus sometimes means some opportunities are missed"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for

Finance (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefit, exposure to cross functional department and no limit to career growth (for those willing to relocate frequently)

ConsJob safety not anymore guaranteed with several outsourcing initiatives toward Mexico and India effecting many departments (Accounting, Finance, HR, IT, Customer Service...)

Very old school mentality.

Strong resistance to change as well as extremely long process to implementation when such process changes are approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much uncertainty in light of the current changes and outsourcing plans which is dragging efficiency down, need to focus on CP people and show the true "Caring for People" in this difficult time

Good Company but limited opportunity for those not recruited right out of school

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsExcellent salary and benefits and great discounts on products.

ConsThe company tends to identify those they want to promote early on by ability to relocate around the country and world. If you are not recruited right out of college you may be limited in opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the talent within the company more effectively.

I interned in Colgate for a year. It is great!

Co-Op (Current Employee)
Piscataway, NJ (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive as an intern for less than a year

ProsI learned a lot when I interned there, cowokers are nice, ready to help and friendly. Hourly pay is good and time is flexible.

ConsIt is hard to get a full time position if you are a co-op.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I can attend more activities in the company and network with more other people, but there are not that many opportunities.

Strong company that shows employees appreciation.

Piscataway, NJ (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive part-time for more than a year

ProsStrong and understanding management, diverse culture, opportunities to partake in consumer tests for extra cash, company store is a huge plus.

ConsSome job cuts have occurred recently. transferring between departments is made difficult

Great place to work with amazing people

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than a year

ProsQuality of people is unquestionable. Sociable and enjoyable place to work. Having the opportunity to work on heritage brands that have been in my life since I was a little kid has been a rewarding challenge and great experience.

ConsIt is a political and hierarchical environment to work in that can be very frustrating. Given a responsibility to shareholders, it is (at times) be risk averse, and can tend to over-think strategies - making it slow to respond.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a culture that promotes change and allows middle management to challenge the status quo. Embracing different views can often bring something new to the table with great potential.

Great company, losing it's way in recent years

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood people, good brands & good processes
Global brands & global opportunities

Consso focused on financial KPIs, forget about the people (and the sites/offices) that are delivering the results
male focused culture - no women in senior roles

Advice to Senior ManagementCP's success has come from talented & loyal employees. Times are changing & CP's recent changes to expat policies etc don't make it attractive for people to dedicate their life to CP. After all, we're only selling toothpaste... let's not get too carried away.

x

Brand Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- a lot of things to learn in the first 2-3 years as entry-level both from other employees and trainings
- very good implementation of culture & values (can be seen on website)
- salary as market average + extra-benefits and bonuses
- high business ethics standard
- environment where employees feel free to share and discuss any ideas/issues even with top management
- opportunity to work abroad, though reduced since 'the economic crisis'

Cons- depending on personal capabilities, after 2-3 years from entry-level you might reach a halt in learning if left on the same position/category/project
- since 'the economic crisis' the strategy is has not been clearly defined and communicated
- strategy is strongly driven by financial KPIs, not focused on consumers
- middle managers have 10+ years in the company and are a bit stuck in the 'old ways' of doing things
- in commercial departments overtime is a given and not compensated

Advice to Senior Management- clearly define and communicate company commercial strategy
- focus the strategy more on consumers (research), brand communication
- start building long term plans (vs current very short term) and actively enforcing flawless implementation for long term results
- less is more

Decent company to work for

Human Resources Associate (Current Employee)
Ahmedabad (India)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than a year

ProsRespect for peers, Good work culture

ConsPoor work life balance, slow career progression

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better opportunity for a work life balance to employees

Colgate was best employer I've ever had

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsColgate offers many opportunities for advancement. It also has a great management team.

ConsLong term, if you're not interested in international business, Colgate may not be the best place for you.

representative in the conference of oral health community.

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for less than a year

Prosis a company with serious commitment to oral health in Puerto Rico

Consestablish a network of Statistics on main factors causing diseases related to oral cancer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilization levels and surveys of using colgate flowchart related to oral diseases oral hygiene, importance of oral health products and expectations for the future.

Worked for Colgate-Palmolive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colgate-Palmolive reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Colgate-Palmolive CEO Ian M. Cook. All 224 reviews are posted anonymously by Colgate-Palmolive employees.