Colorado Springs Utilities
www.csu.org Colorado Springs, CO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Colorado Springs Utilities Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014

Jerry Forte

Senior leadership is in transition which can be a good thing assuming good people are hired to replace them

Employee (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent job stability and true respect for work life balance across the organization.

ConsContinuous process improvement needs to become more than partially adopted. There are opportunities to realize efficiency but out dated policy/practice gets in the way sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for greater accountability and impactful leadership. Hold your management team accountable for making solid hiring decisions and building high performing work teams.

The most unethical and corrupt company in Colorado Springs

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities for more than 5 years

ProsCSU used to be a good company. But then Jerry Forte became CEO and all of that changed. Don't believe the positive reviews on this site, I think they are bogus. However, the negative reviews are spot on. The only good thing at CSU is the health insurance and probably why people stay. Actually, it is the PERA trap. I would have to say that there are some nice people here, but an employer with almost 2000 people, you would expect it. But overall, most people operate in negativity.

ConsWhere does one begin? Everything that has been said about CSU from other commenters is true. And more. It is seriously an extremely unethical and corrupt company. I wish that I could give specfics, but it would reveal the area that people work in. Employees operate in fear of retaliation for standing for the truth. Management has created a hostile work environment with racism, discrimination and harrasment----very common place. If you value yourself, please don't work at CSU. Its a horrible place. There is no room for advancement at CSU. They post jobs internally, but they don't tell you that they already have someone in mind for the job. People are leaving the company in droves. In fact, they force everyone to participate in a class called culture of honor and respect because they are trying to stop the bleeding. However, nothing has changed and people still are trying to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not interested in what others have to say. They live in a bubble and are completed disconnected from employees. One day, One day, the truth will be known about CSU and they will have a difficult time getting positions filled once people know that they will step into a nightmare in accepting employment with this company.

Shockingly poor management.

Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsFairly nice offices and the pay is decent for Colorado Springs.

ConsNot a good place to work if you value ethics and believe that hard work and good decisions will lead to your advancement. There is no real oversight by City Council so there is no incentive to make good business decisions that are in the long-term best interests of customers. Millions in rate payer money has been wasted because of ill conceived project decisions. Leadership is lacking and top management are "yes men and women". Employee complaints are ignored and favoritism is the main criteria for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management needs to be fired and replaced with intelligent, ethical, experienced managers who genuinely care about employees and customers.

Lacks Leadership and has Significant Ethics Issues

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsGood people, community owned, lots of room for advancement due to high turnover - working here has become a revolving door. As reported by one officer, the conflict between the City Council and Mayor continue to work in our favor and leadership needs to continue to push and encourage that conflict.

ConsThe organization lacks complete ethics. Nearly every department is faced with leadership troubles. There are serious financial challenges that continue to be hidden from City Council. We tout a "culture of honor" yet we practice a culture of lies; our PR department is notorious for spinning everything, and there jobs duties consist of using various screen names to post positive comments on all blogs and articles associated with CSU.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have run our organization and the rate payers company in the ground. Move on....

Employment at Colorado Springs Utilities

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRewarding local government job with great benefits

ConsUnderstaffed for many positions, making work/life-balance difficult to maintain

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on inappropriate relationships between different levels of supervision; my experience was that the cozy state of the chain of command made it difficult for lower-level employees to resolve important issues or to be more actively involved in providing input on current operations.

Customer Service Representative Call Center

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benes, it is solid employment, decent pay considering title, nice people to work with

ConsYou become a robot pretty quick, high turnover. Typical call center.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the little people.

Great place if you want to put time in...and are not career driven

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities

ProsColorado Springs Utilities has good people and okay benefits. There is a great job security at CSU and the people that work there understand that aspect. They have a good work/life balance since there is no high stress areas. You can work as much or as little (40 hours)...it is how much work you want to create for yourself.

ConsAt Colorado Springs Utilities, there is no accountability. You can screw up and it will be brushed under the rug. All decisions are based upon how it would be perceived if the local newspaper were to spin it. No business decisions, all political decisions. This is due to the city council running Utilities. If you are a driven individual and want to move up in the organization on business principals, not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to lead and have a common vision they are working towards. They need to communicate that vision to the workers so they understand how the decisions they make on a daily basis fit the vision. Management (it is not leadership at Colorado Springs) needs to ask the hard questions to there employees and not be in touch with there employees.

Red-tape and middle-managers jockeying for position

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities

ProsPay and benefits are better than many employers and the employees are very involved in philanthropic activities and volunteering in the community.

ConsLack of skilled leaders and a sense of entitlement is abundant. Inefficient processes lead to a certain level of complacency and job dissatisfaction for high performers.

It's good

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities

ProsCo-workers are great and benefits are good

ConsManagement isn't in touch with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

A good place to be.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities

ProsThe opportunities for Engineering work and advancements are good at this utility. The people are friendly and easy to work with and the management is easy to talk with. I would recommend this employer to others. The workload is interesting without being overloaded.

ConsDue to the economy, spending is currently at a minimum making some issues hard to finance. Also, there is currently a hiring freeze.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is well run compared to others I've worked with.

Worked for Colorado Springs Utilities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colorado Springs Utilities reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Colorado Springs Utilities CEO Jerry Forte. All 10 reviews are posted anonymously by Colorado Springs Utilities employees.